eating before exercising???

Options
2»

Replies

• adenham18
    Options
    I have a friend who is going to school for sports medicine, and he is very knowledgeable about this stuff. He told me to have protein before a workout. I don't know if it matters where it comes from, but i find it easy to have some water with a special k protein snack bar. Then after my workout, I usually eat my regular breakfast, egg white omelet or oatmeal. I hope this helps you:)
  • RGonVSH
    RGonVSH Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is harmful unless you are feeling weak or dizzy before you complete your workout. My doctor, however, told me to eat a banana with a tablespoon of almond (or peanut or walnut) butter before exercising early in the morning. Of course, at the time, I was starting with a 4 mile walk in the morning, so I guess it may depend on what your workout is.
  • Finallyhappy03
    Finallyhappy03 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I really think this is a personal preference based on what your particular needs. I drink a 3-4 oz glass of orange juice before my workouts in the morning. It's worked for me but may not be for everyone.
  • hazelware
    Options
    As a sports nutritionist i always encourage my clients to eat a small meal before exercise, even first thing.

This could be a banana, a yoghurt, piece of toast, maybe with some peanut butter (no butter though). this meal will fire up your metabolism and put some petrol in your tank. Whatever you ate the night before will have been mostly used up by your normal body functions. i.e. respiratory system, hormone balance, digestive system etc.

I guarantee you will get more out of your workout if you have something small.

Good Luck

H
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I would say only eat before exercising if you're hungry. Otherwise, do your workout, take your shower, then eat your breakfast. When I ran, I would do it first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. I would get stomach cramps if I had too much in my belly so this worked for me. Just do what works for you. Don't worry about what other people say.