Good Running Shoes?

Options
I am starting to train for 5k and my running shoes just aren't cutting it anymore, I definitely need new ones! Any good running shoes out there that you have had good experience with? Price range is nothing over $150.

Replies

• Larry7995
    Options
    I always have to try on a bunch of different ones and find the ones where the arch is in the correct spot and the width feels right. Been wearing Brooks Adrenaline for the last couple years.
  • wan2b21
    wan2b21 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have some Asics that i seriously looooove!! They were even on sale at Sports Authority for around fifty dollars.. Here's a website that might help you find the perfect pair.. http://www.asicsamerica.com/sports/running/shoeFitGuide.aspx

Its from the asics website but the ideas go for any brand of running shoe =)
  • Bluedimplett
    Bluedimplett Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    um, i went to a sporting shoe store that offered to do a test that measured your arch, stride and what not.

Then they recommended shoes to me. I ended up buying New Balance shoes. i paid $140ish. That was 2 years ago and they are great. My husband also bought New Balance shoes.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    go to a running store and get "FITTED" for running shoes....they will probably run you between 100-150 but if you are willing to spend 150 it is completely worth it....
  • justinmcdaniel83
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but where I live there are several different stores dedicated to running and when you go in they have you run on a treadmill for about a min. While you're running they videotapere your feet to see how you run and how you land and then they help you find a pair of shoes that will best fit your feet/running style. I found this to be very helpful because I pronate a bit and it was causing pain in my ankles and knees. The shoes they put me in took away all the pain I had been feeling and now I've logged over 500 miles since June and they're still the most comfortable shoes that I've ever had and they were only about $100.
  • CalorieNinja
    CalorieNinja Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but where I live there are several different stores dedicated to running and when you go in they have you run on a treadmill for about a min. While you're running they videotapere your feet to see how you run and how you land and then they help you find a pair of shoes that will best fit your feet/running style. I found this to be very helpful because I pronate a bit and it was causing pain in my ankles and knees. The shoes they put me in took away all the pain I had been feeling and now I've logged over 500 miles since June and they're still the most comfortable shoes that I've ever had and they were only about $100.

I didn't know there was stores even like this! I googled running shoe stores for our area and sure enough there is a place the AFB recommends for running shoes and have great reviews!

Thanks everyone!
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    You'll have to find what works for you, but Asics seems to work for me. I don't have a lot of miles on them because I'm not a huge runner, but I'm still running in the same pair of Asics Gels I bought when I was in the police academy 16 years ago!

When I started the academy I was running in a beat up pair of cross-trainers that I trained for the academy in with no problems. The recruit training officer told me I should go out and get some good running shoes, so I went and got a pair of Nikes. After the first run in them I was experiencing excruciating knee pain that ultimately made me wear a knee brace for the rest of the academy. After that first day of running I returned the Nikes and got the Asics which have never caused me pain, but it took a long time for my knee to recover.

The moral of my story, either get fitted by a running shop, or buy them somewhere with a decent return policy. At the first sign of discomfort, take 'em back and try another pair!
  • Salpica
    Salpica Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    In my opinion if you are looking for the best shoes to run in I would have to say Asics. When I went through Academy I suffered from severe shin splints and went to a local store and picked up a pair for 130$. In less than a week shin splints were gone and I was convinced on how great those shoes were!

New Balance isn't a bad brand to look at too. Generally these are better every day shoes / walkers. They have a lot of support and are going to be a little cheaper than Asics. Lots of old people wear them too, so you'd be cool with that crowd.

I did sell shoes for 2 years and we carried both of those brands. That's where my info comes from.
  • seachelle
    seachelle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice. I was running in Nikes and they killed me. A friend who is a runner told me to go to the running store and the analized the way I walk and run. I tried out several different ones and the New Balance ones worked the best for me. They were 108.00. Sounds like you have a place to go!!!
  • fitbot
    fitbot Posts: 406
    Options
    up with new Balance. They are my fave. Nike , as amazing as it is, does NOT make good performance running shoes.
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have one pair of nikes and one pair of new balances. I had a super supportive and cushioned pair of new balances, but just returned them for the nikes. I have found that I like the shoes that are super light and feel like you are wearing nothing. The new balances I still have I call my space shoes. My new nikes are lunar glides. So far so good. I really like how they have a padded and soft heal that won't cut me.

If you ace a running store, awesome. If not go to your local sports store and try on almost every pair of shoes they have that are mass for running. You'll know when you. Find the right pair, they just fit right. You'll out them on and go...ahhhhh :-)
  • christina31
    christina31 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I run in Mizuno Wave Riders and I love them. I bought them on sale for under $100 at a running store that fitted me out first. I've tried several, and Saucony is good if you're looking to stay under $50, but the most important thing is to make sure the shoe works for you. Everyone is different, and getting fitted makes all the difference in the world!
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    I like the minimal shoes ... think Vibram Five Fingers shoes. I did not want to run in the Vibram Five Fingers but still wanted to have a more natural running gate so I went with the New Balance 101's. If you want a lot of shock absorbing and arch these are not the right shoes for you. If you are in to "natural" running then these are awesome shoes and only $75. It really depends on what you are truly looking for in a shoe.
    Enjoy your runs!
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I love Asics, but I agree with going to get fitted. Good luck with the 5k! I've run 4 in the last 18 months and will be running an 8k in April. They are addicting and fun! And running make the pounds melt off! Just dont over train and hurt yourself.
  • leasah
    leasah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Try runnersworld.com, there you will we able to determine your arch. Once you have that bit of info, you will know better what is the best shoe for you. I use that info and order shoes at Lady Foot Locker as they allow you to sort by arch and price. I see tons of good reviews on Brooks and Asics.
  • HollyMac20
    HollyMac20 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I like the minimal shoes ... think Vibram Five Fingers shoes. I did not want to run in the Vibram Five Fingers but still wanted to have a more natural running gate so I went with the New Balance 101's. If you want a lot of shock absorbing and arch these are not the right shoes for you. If you are in to "natural" running then these are awesome shoes and only $75. It really depends on what you are truly looking for in a shoe.
    Enjoy your runs!

I just looked and the new balance shoes I have are 101's. They are soooooo light, hence they are my space shoes.