Anyone done this experiment?

Options
After completing a food diary usually it says
If every day were like today... You'd weigh (blank) lbs in 5 weeks.

Has anyone tried following the same diary for five weeks? I'd like to try it but I know probably after day 3 I'd be tired of eating the same thing.

Would be neat to see if it really worked though :)

Replies

• MSDRIZZ
    MSDRIZZ Posts: 246
    Options
    I think they mean that number of calories.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I've thought about it just to experiment, but i'd definitely get bored of the same foods.
  • chunk3y_m0nk3y
    Options
    I havent tried it yet either. I think it would be interesting to see if it would actually work though. Maybe ill give it a go and let ya know how i do.
  • Panda86
    Panda86 Posts: 873
    Options
    I think they mean that number of calories.

Yeah, they mean the calories. So you can eat different foods, but just stay at those same calories and burn the same amount that you did that day.
  • Manda1987
    Options
    I don't think it would work for most people.

Sure, it SHOULD be a simple case of "calories in, calories out", but it isn't. Water retention, digestion and level of base activity change on a daily basis. I've eaten the right number of calories just about every day for the last month, and I lost 5 lbs instead of the 8 or more I was supposed to lose.
  • Kazren
    Kazren Posts: 88
    Options
    its not just the calories, it looks as the fat and everything else as well, so it would all have to balance up every day.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I hate those words!!!!

I work really hard and I lost 6 pounds in 3 months....so for me they mean what I won't weight in 5 weeks!!!! That is what happen when you only have a few pounds to lose
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    To Manda:
    You are absolutely right, there is NO lock down formula to how many pounds a person will lose when they eat X amt of calories. Just pick a number of calories less than you burn and stick with it...The key is following your plan, cause each body will do what it wants to do.
  • KadieA
    KadieA Posts: 167
    Options
    I've thought about it just to experiment, but i'd definitely get bored of the same foods.

Yeah I would too. Then I thought about looking at other diaries when my estimate was the same then though..nah, I'd still get bored with the food. lol
  • KadieA
    Options
    its not just the calories, it looks as the fat and everything else as well, so it would all have to balance up every day.

That would be the difficult thing-getting the exact amount you ate to the T.
  • KadieA
    Options
    I don't think it would work for most people.

Sure, it SHOULD be a simple case of "calories in, calories out", but it isn't. Water retention, digestion and level of base activity change on a daily basis. I've eaten the right number of calories just about every day for the last month, and I lost 5 lbs instead of the 8 or more I was supposed to lose.

There are a lot of variables that could and probably would effect your results, you're right.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    The system is taking all of the variables into account. Everything you track and everything you don't. Remember that just because you aren't tracking your sodium intake does NOT mean MFP isn't tracking it.

Everything you do will change the outcome. And there is no way to positively do everything the same for an entire week. You would have to wear the same clothes, do your hair the same, wake up at the same time and move at the exact same speed in everything you do for an entire week! And that's not possible so it's not possible to do this experiment and do it properly.

I say, just stick with your exercise and do the best you can and love the skin you're in and aspire to have better skin.
  • KadieA
    Options
    Yeah actually had to add sodium and cholesterol to my diary due to high cholesterol in my fam and high blood pressure.