Foot pain question...

tamcrit
tamcrit Posts: 340 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
Has anyone ever dealt with posterior tibial tendonitis in your foot?? I am self-diagnosing. I have a pain on the inside of my foot, kinda below my ankle, running into my arch. It started hurting during my run on Sunday and has continued to hurt. I am doing the usual Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation, but not getting better yet. It doesn’t hurt too bad, just enough to be irritating, but I am afraid to run again as I do not want to make it worse. I am registered for a 10K race on Saturday though. Anyone else experienced this or have any ideas?

Replies

• Jessdoit82
    Jessdoit82 Posts: 1 Member
    You could have plantar fasciitis (which I have). Here's a link from the Mayo Clinic. To save you lots of money from going to the podiatrist, you should get a pair of orthodics to wear in your shoes. Make sure you're wearing shoes with plenty of cushioning when you run! They help ALOT! http://www.bing.com/health/article/mayo-126203/Plantar-fasciitis?q=plantar+fasciitis
  • tamcrit
    tamcrit Posts: 340 Member
    You could have plantar fasciitis (which I have). Here's a link from the Mayo Clinic. To save you lots of money from going to the podiatrist, you should get a pair of orthodics to wear in your shoes. Make sure you're wearing shoes with plenty of cushioning when you run! They help ALOT! http://www.bing.com/health/article/mayo-126203/Plantar-fasciitis?q=plantar+fasciitis

Thanks, I should have added that I have had plantar fascitis before, and it is not that. I also wear Superfeet insoles in my running shoes. Could it be that I need to replace my insoles and shoes?? (both about 9 months old). Thanks again for any thoughts.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    My DPM is a holistic provider so I tried several nonevasive things first. When I run - I put BenGay or IcyHot on my feet and stretch them out. Bend your big toe under your foot and try to keep it bent behind you, like when sitting in a chair, to stretch the top tendon of your foot out. You also may want to use a toe separator product to spread the top of your foot wider. I use a product from my DPM, www.nwfootankle.com - but you can also use those nail painting things just not a comfortable or easy to use. Stretch your feet out well would be my best suggestion. I worked for a DPM for years, and don't really believe orthotics are the way to go like they used to be always prescribed. You may try going a day without them and see how it goes. My DPM has a good article on his website about plantar fascitis.

I also use ChiRunning, which makes a big difference in foot;ankle;knee pain by different focuses on running.
This discussion has been closed.