Healthy Meals and Snack Ideas

Options
Making a healthy decisions for snacks is very tough for me. I have a very busy schedule with work and school and find it hard to make the right choices like a lot of people out there.

I just joined this website and I have been logging my diet for a little over a week now and even though I have stayed under my daily recommended caloric intake everytime, it seems that I have been snacking on alot of junk food in small moderations. I found myself eating a handful of potato chips last night because I got home at 7:00 pm and didn't want to cook anything

I have started to adopt healthier choices ie I brought an apple with me today and have a bag of nuts - almonds and walnuts to snack on...I guess it takes small steps. I am starting to workout on a regular basis 5 days a week and have been doing so for 2 weeks now.

I started using this website for over a week and I have lost 1.5 lbs in 2 weeks which is great, I weigh 155 and hope to lose 25 lbs. I wanted to know if any of knew of any quick and easy snacks and meals that are healthy, quick and taste good! :)

Replies

• sylviablakely
    sylviablakely Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to crisps so when I look for a healthy snack I usually go for dry cereal (without milk) such as Nestle Fitness Joghurt or some other bran flake type cereal which I put in a little bowl and tell myself its like having a bowl of crisps. The Fitness Joghurt one tastes really nice and is 120 cals for 30 gram bowl - if I have enough snack calories left I will have this with a small glass of wine.
  • MarieRich
    MarieRich Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I love to have lite yogurt with granola as a snack. When you get home late, have some celery with peanut butter to crunch on instead of potato chips. A peanut butter and jelly sandwich is great also.
  • Renypoo
    Options
    Trader Joes PLantain chips are amazing! There fruit and bakes and 20 chips has about 100 cals!:smile:
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    Fruit or veggies, half sandwich, nuts, dry cereal, yougurt, cheese,
  • reesepieces
    reesepieces Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I snack on light yogurt, grapes, bananas, etc. I have a busy schedule as well. For meals, on days that I have time to cook, I tend to cook a little extra for leftovers for the days that I don't feel like cooking. I pack my lunches for the next day on the night before to help choose better eating.
  • reikichris
    Options
    I keep a lot of fresh fruits and veggies in the house. I usually have one large snack sometime during the day of either a fruit plate or veggies and hummus or Otria yogurt dip. Baby bell light cheese has been a saving grace at 50 calories for a tasty bite.

If I get a craving for chips, I stick with the ones that allow me to have a larger quantity to make it feel worth it. Pretzel sticks (45 / serving), World Table rice crisps (32 / serving) or Whole Wheat Goldfish (55 / serving). Redenbocker Tender Popcorn is really low in calories (80 for 2 cups, about half the bag) and Jello Mouse Temptations are a great 50 calorie way to get some sweets.

I hope this helps! Good luck!
  • SarahBearNZ
    SarahBearNZ Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am new here but thought I would share my snacks I often have:
    baby carrots and celery with salsa
    mini pretzels
    fruit
    weight watchers or similar muesli bar
    rice crackers (sometimes with salsa too)
    yoghurt - sometimes frozen in the summer, usually the ones I have bought that get close to the use by date.

Hope this gives you some ideas!

Sarah
  • mrskoolnu
    mrskoolnu Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I weigh 175 and my realistic goal is 130. I joined a week ago and lost 1 lb so far. I found planning my meals by the week is easier and keeps me on track. I work full-time, school 2 nights week and married. So I feel your struggles. =(

I eat a lot of fruit & veggies, popcorn, dried cereal, Special K bars, Jello & fruit cups, string cheese. Anything that you can grab and go!

I also walk on my lunch and evenings 3x times a week and do zumba 2x times a week. I wish you the best of luck!
  • pekay
    pekay Posts: 5
    Options
    Celery with low fat Philly cheese is nice, apparently it takes more calories to digest celery that the food actually contains, so if you like celery you are on a winner, just go easy on the philly as the calories can mount up.
    Also, try making a large pan of veggy soup, carrots.celery. mushrooms. peppers, onions, garlic, throw some of your favourite spices in as well, leave it chunky or blend it smooth to taste, add some whole wheat pasta if needed. a large bowl will come in well under 100 cals.
    Dont go too mad on fruits like Bananas, apples,pears as they are high in fructose(natural sugars) try berries and citrus instead or water melon.
    As your surname is Patel i'm sure you will be familiar with lentil dhall, another dish easy to make in large quantities and relatively low in cals.
    Hope some of these ideas help!!.
  • npatel160
    npatel160 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Thank you soo much for all the great ideas! It is really inspiring and encouraging for all your ideas!! I am going to go to the grocery store on my way home and stock up on some fruits and veggies!!! I think packing the snacks the night before will be a great help since I will not be in such a rush in the mornings! I wish you all the best in your goals, feel free to add me as a friend so we can tackle these goals together :) Best of Luck to you all and I will keep you posted on my snacking!! LOL :)