How many times a day should I eat??

Options
2»

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Our bodies are not like cars. Meal frequency has no real effect on metabolism. There is no research that supports an enhanced physical effect from greater meal frequency. Almost all of the benefit is psychological--which is fine. As long as one is not overeating, and they believe that more frequent meals works for them, then go for it. But someone who is not comfortable with that plan should not force themselves into it because of some mistaken idea that there is a physical benefit.

Bellisle F et. al. Meal frequency and energy balance. Br J Nutr. (1997) 77 (Suppl 1):S57-70
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Our bodies are not like cars. Meal frequency has no real effect on metabolism. There is no research that supports an enhanced physical effect from greater meal frequency. Almost all of the benefit is psychological--which is fine. As long as one is not overeating, and they believe that more frequent meals works for them, then go for it. But someone who is not comfortable with that plan should not force themselves into it because of some mistaken idea that there is a physical benefit.

Bellisle F et. al. Meal frequency and energy balance. Br J Nutr. (1997) 77 (Suppl 1):S57-70
    Wow, that interesting. I've been reading all along that it does affect metabolism, and would slow down without snacks. Logically, as long as your keeping to your daily calories, it should not matter when they are consumed.
  • SharonMarquiss
    Options
    I think that is the best comment in here. All of the comments are from caring people, but I have read about this extensively, and it is absolutely true that you don't need to snack all day if you don't want to. 3 meals is fine. It all comes down to eating healthily, and exercising regularly. We all know what we should and shouldn't eat etc. Don't get too caught up in the details, you could become obsessed and then it's all you think and talk about. Just relax, eat when you feel like it, and be sensible. That's all there is to it.
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options

Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sport Exercise (6:5, pgs 265-272,1996) 2 vs six meals compared. Both groups lost the same amount of weight. HOWEVER, the 2 meal group mostly lost lean body mass while the six per day did not.

The body is not like a car as it has multiple sources of fuel. Protein can not be stored and amino acids only remain in your blood stream for 3 hours (Whey, not Casein).

I eat frequently to preserve muscle mass.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    5 to 6 is what I have been told is best to keep metabolsim up and stave off hunger pangs.
  • get_it_gone2012
    Options
    I eat when I feel legitimately hungry :)

1705046.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • mrscjwilson
    Options
    I eat about 7 small snacks a day! between 100-300 calories each appox. every 2 hours or so, works for me since I usually graze all day if I dont do this plan!
  • Azdak
    Options

Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sport Exercise (6:5, pgs 265-272,1996) 2 vs six meals compared. Both groups lost the same amount of weight. HOWEVER, the 2 meal group mostly lost lean body mass while the six per day did not.

The body is not like a car as it has multiple sources of fuel. Protein can not be stored and amino acids only remain in your blood stream for 3 hours (Whey, not Casein).

I eat frequently to preserve muscle mass.

This study looked at 12 boxers eating a 1200 cal/day diet for two weeks. They also made a distinction between 2 meals a day and 6 (not 3 meals a day) They did not report any statistics in the abstract and I could not get access to the actual study. However, just looking at the small and specialized subject group and the parameters of the investigation, I feel comfortable in saying that this study has almost zero relevance or applicability to the general public.

This is a common problem in health and fitness. As I said, this is an obscure study done on a specialized subject group under highly restrictive circumstances. Yet I just following up on the post, I have seen it cited on at least a dozen internet sites as "proof" of the "superiority" of eating 6 meals/day.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    This is a common problem in health and fitness. As I said, this is an obscure study done on a specialized subject group under highly restrictive circumstances. Yet I just following up on the post, I have seen it cited on at least a dozen internet sites as "proof" of the "superiority" of eating 6 meals/day.

You are very much right on that score. I think that the whole "you must" or even "you should" eat 6 times a day dogma needs to be put into context.

One study: http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM198910053211403

shows that a "nibbling" diet does have an "advantage" possibly due to changes in insulin secretion.

However, another more comprehensive review in my opinion:

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=879792

concludes: "Finally, with the exception of a single study, there is no evidence that weight loss on hypoenergetic regimens is altered by meal frequency. We conclude that any effects of meal pattern on the regulation of body weight are likely to be mediated through effects on the food intake side of the energy balance equation."

Which is supported by the following:

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=1850460&fulltextType=RA&fileId=S0007114507877646

which states: "Eating three meals compared with two meals had no effects on 24 h energy expenditure, diet-induced thermogenesis, activity-induced energy expenditure and sleeping metabolic rate. Eating three meals compared with two meals increased 24 h fat oxidation, but decreased the amount of fat oxidised from the breakfast."

So what does this all mean in plain English? Overall it is about calories in v calories out irrespective of meal frequency, although more frequent meals seems to reduce the possibility of over eating. Structure your eating plan as you feel comfortable and fits in with your day to day life.
  • Azdak
    Options

You are very much right on that score. I think that the whole "you must" or even "you should" eat 6 times a day dogma needs to be put into context.

One study: http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM198910053211403

shows that a "nibbling" diet does have an "advantage" possibly due to changes in insulin secretion.

However, another more comprehensive review in my opinion:

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=879792

concludes: "Finally, with the exception of a single study, there is no evidence that weight loss on hypoenergetic regimens is altered by meal frequency. We conclude that any effects of meal pattern on the regulation of body weight are likely to be mediated through effects on the food intake side of the energy balance equation."

Which is supported by the following:

http://journals.cambridge.org/action/displayAbstract?fromPage=online&aid=1850460&fulltextType=RA&fileId=S0007114507877646

which states: "Eating three meals compared with two meals had no effects on 24 h energy expenditure, diet-induced thermogenesis, activity-induced energy expenditure and sleeping metabolic rate. Eating three meals compared with two meals increased 24 h fat oxidation, but decreased the amount of fat oxidised from the breakfast."

So what does this all mean in plain English? Overall it is about calories in v calories out irrespective of meal frequency, although more frequent meals seems to reduce the possibility of over eating. Structure your eating plan as you feel comfortable and fits in with your day to day life.

And your last paragraph is really the most important point. I don't have any problem with the idea of increased meal frequency. There are times when I find it preferable for my own lifestyle.

Where I often have problems with this and other cliched exhortations is the dogmatic and often exclusionary positions taken on what are--at best--trivial and peripheral issues involving weight loss.
  • formytwins
    Options
    Thanks for all the input......I also was told that I am not suppose to get hungry?????
  • JenBrown0210
    JenBrown0210 Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    What works for me is I eat 3 meals a day around 300 calories. I drink water all day. I also usually have 2 to 3 sacks a day equaling the 300 calories. My daily goal is 1200. So far I've lost a total of 13 pounds since january. I hope that helps
  • vzepol
    vzepol Posts: 131 Member
    Options

I tend to ignore studies that are more than 5 years old. So much has been learned in the last couple of years that it begs to look for more current citations.

I am learning how to eat every couple of hours to keep my blood even through the day. Not everyone needs to do this but it is beginning to work for me.
  • miatavixxen
    Options
    You really have to figure out what works for YOU! For me, I can't seem to eat much at one meal so I eat about every 3 hours but not a full fledged meal each time.
  • pgalli
    Options
    3 meals- breakfast,lunch,dinner. Snack every 2-3 hours for men 100-300 calorie snacks and women 100-200 calories. last snack should be 1 hr before bedtime(preferably with protein and very little fast carb. lunch and dinner should consist of protein(4-6oz-men, 4oz women), slow carbohydrate and fast carbohydrate. Drink 12 cups of water in a day. 7-8 hrs of sleep. Stay away from refined flours and certain sugars. Diet Free Life by Robert Ferguson and has a lifestyle eating program called Food Lovers. I have lost 8lbs in one month and lost 6.5" in total BMI body measurements. You can check out some blogs at chat.myfoodlovers.com.
  • spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I am seeing a nutritionist and a research hospital and she said, "Do what is most comfortable for you as long as you don't skip a meal." Just stay within your caloric needs for weight loss and make work on making life-style changes as much as you work out.
  • peteyTwang
    Options
    Personally, I definitely prefer to eat smaller amounts of good healthy food more frequently and I don't need a study to tell me what actually feels better and easier on my digestion... to make it easier to track I actually split my MFP food diary into 4 hour segments instead of "meals" & "snacks"