Wild/Brown rice combo recipes?

Options
WindmillSong
WindmillSong Posts: 81 Member
I did a search, but it didn't turn up what I was looking for; I'm looking for a way to "flavor" it, yet make it healthy. Is it okay to use some boulion? I'm kind of thinking onions, celery etc too. I have a package of each-brown and wild. Any other suggestions? I'm a big fan of the wild rice combos at restaraunts-which I'm guessing are higher in sodium (thus the boulion ?) and possibly calories? I'm also hoping if I get it "good" enough, I can try to work on my husband and boys, to eat it :)

Replies

• polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Use a little swansin chicken broth but make sure to watch the sodium.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    The best way is to cook it in broth, low fat low sodium would work if you are trying to keep it low cal. Rice takes on the flovor of what it i cooked with. It's pretty bland by it's self, so add stuff to it, mix it with your fav veggies, or with low cal meat dishes, use it as filler in meat loaf.
  • Amajoy
    Amajoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I would stay away from boulion just because of the SUPER high sodium content. I would cook it in a low sodium chicken broth/stock along with some veggies and spices. The other day I was at Sunflower Market and they had a no sodium added Vegetable boulion, it had very low cals, but again might as well go for some low sodium chicken stock instead for more flavor.
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I use cooking base, hang on (checks fridge:)...Better Than Bouillon-organic, reduced sodium chicken base. It is very tasty and I can add salt if I want, although depending on what I do with the meat that I have with the rice, I may not have to.

Basically, one tsp. = one cube of bouillon or one 8 oz. can of broth. I just add some straight to the rice cooker with the rice and make sure I stir it once while it's boiliing. That's it.
  • Amajoy
    Amajoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    oh, just thought of something else.... Brown some chicken in a saute pan, this disk is best with chicken thighs but breasts would work too.. Add your rice and liquid, and finish cooking the chicken in the rice while it cooks. I do this with a boxed wild rice, comes up very tasty...

I havent made it since on my diet so I am not sure of the Cals... Just eat a nice salad with it and not a ton of rice and you'll be good :)
  • WindmillSong
    Options
    Cool, thanks everyone-for some reason, I was drawing a blank on broth-doh! I have some Swansons veggie broth in the fridge, but I'm hoping I have some chicken broth in the cupboard. Like I said, I really enjoy the wild rice combos I've had, but definitely not plain, :)
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Low sodium broth/stock and sprinkle green onions on last 10 minutes of cooking
    Combine bell pepper chunks and broth or water in blender to make enough cooking liquid
    Dried fruit pieces and a sprinkling of nuts after it's cooked
    Taco seasoning mix and canned diced tomatoes
    Frozen veggies
    Diced mushrooms (mix of kinds)
    Diced ham
    Beat an egg and cook omelet style and cut into strips
    Heinz fat free gravy (yumm!)
    Small amount of Pesto sauce
    Cold rice with Green Goddess dressing, fat free Feta and diced cucumbers and cherry tomatoes

I'm hungry now....
  • WindmillSong
    Options
    Mmm, sounds yummy!