what is better swimming or running for fat burning

Options
i find it hard motivating my self 2 go running every day of the week , i cant afford the gym. Is swimming a good way of losing weight? Is swimming or running better?

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    bump
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    For me, swimming. Others may differ, but my experience was that swimming worked the best.
  • leezjames
    Options
    I would have thought running would burn calories quicker but swimming is much better for your joints as the weight is evening spread as opposed to constant shocks when running.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    swimming is definitely better for your joints. If you truly SWIM, (like laps) rather than just splash around, you can burn plenty of calories that way. Water aerobics is also good. Hope you find the right combo for you. :smile:
  • JenniferAutumn
    JenniferAutumn Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I alternate running and swimming.
  • alyssia02
    alyssia02 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Swimming is one of the best forms of cardio there it is. It is very effective because it gives you a full body workout. I hate jogging/running as well. I am alot more willing to go swimming than to go running.
  • katiefraay
    Options
    They both are good, swimming burns more calories (I am a swimmer, it burns a ton of calories, trust me), but I think running is better for fat burning. They both are great. My boyfriend is a runner who is also a swimmer, and he is skinny as a stick, with a very low bmi and % body fat. I think if you do both, you will see amazing results.
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    bump

What does this mean.
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I think anything you enjoy and can stick with is good for you. I would just suggest always pushing yourself.
  • babygurl1
    babygurl1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Bump is just used when you don't have time to comment right now but you want to reference the topic later. By saying bump it will store it under the my topics for a quick reference, but you don't have to say bump just posting anything on the thread will add it to my topics.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Swimming is incredible for your abs!!! My core was so much stronger and tone when I was swimming more
  • edyta70
    edyta70 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Bump is just used when you don't have time to comment right now but you want to reference the topic later. By saying bump it will store it under the my topics for a quick reference, but you don't have to say bump just posting anything on the thread will add it to my topics.
    Thanks..:D i didnt know what it meant either :)
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I did some running last year to train for a 5 K. Running burns lots of calories but I had some knee problems from it. I prefer swimming, water aerobics, Zumba, Powerpump, dancing, and Bootcamp.
  • jammyone
    Options
    bump

It means to 'bump the thread' to the top of the list in subjects, as the thrad will go to the top when someone posts within that thread.

On another note, running definitely burns more calories than swimming, assuming you have equal times. As others have said though, swimming is much better for the joints.
  • eshyay
    eshyay Posts: 18
    Options
    If you hate running, then swimming is infinitely better as you'll be far more likely to stick with it. It's also much gentler on the knees as it's essentially no-impact exercise.
  • nnielsen07
    Options
    Running burns more calories than swimming per hour because there is less resistance on your body in water. However, they both offer excellent cardio benefits and are both generally great calorie burners. Running can be hard on your joints, while swimming is a no-impact sport. Swimming also is great because it's a full body workout, while running focuses on the lower half of the body. I am a runner/swimmer. I alternate between the two because I think swimming is a great cross-training for my rest days from running.
  • RobertHendrix
    RobertHendrix Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If you hate running, then swimming is infinitely better as you'll be far more likely to stick with it. It's also much gentler on the knees as it's essentially no-impact exercise.

This, If you find it hard to stay motivated to go out and run but enjoy swimming and look forward to it then you will see more benefit from swimming as you are going to stick with it and put more effort into it. Everyone is different and there is no right or wrong when it comes to exercise. Just find something you enjoy and don't wake up dreading the fact that you have to do it and you will benefit from it.
  • hebehrens
    hebehrens Posts: 55
    Options
    Just thought I'd throw in a tidbit - many have mentioned that swimming is easier on the joints. This can certainly be true. If you are interested in increasing bone density and preventing osteoporosis/fragile bones, running is far superior. Weight-bearing activities are necessary to promote bone density/formation. I saw a study recently where people who only swam for exercise had very low bone density. Just thought I'd throw that out there. :)
  • bradwwood
    bradwwood Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    When it comes to calorie burn, doesn't it just come down to your heart rate? Based on your age, there is a particular target heart rate you want to achieve.

Of course the type of exercise you do will help different things. Obviously there are those that are convinced weight lifting is all anyone should ever do, and there are those that think running is the best thing ever.

The bottom line is the best exercise is the one you will do. Within that, getting your heart rate to its target range is key.

So - do what you enjoy, and get your target heart rate to where it needs to be, and you are golden.

When I look up target heart rate, my range is 120 to 150. My HRM seems to calculate the lower as "fat burning" and the higher as "fitness". I think your body looks for different fuels based on the intensity level, but we are getting into areas I'm not so knowledgeable on
  • thebr0kenwriter
    thebr0kenwriter Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been an avid runner and done many races (6 5ks, 1 10k, and 3 half marathons since April 2011). Unfortunately I'm going to have to take a break (or quit depending) due to two diseased discs, which have also herniated. Ive also Started showing signs of osteoporosis, I've also developed a pinched nerve from where my bones/joints took the shock and shifted. I've been to three doctors and will be going to a fourth tomorrow to figure out a solution. In the meantime I'm SWIMMING! (I'm 27, lost 120lbs on my own originally and exercise 2-3hrs total a day).