Healthy snack foods

Options
Hey!
going grocery shopping today and was hoping for some healthy snack food suggestions!
any ideas??

Thanks!

Replies

• ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I like:
    almonds
    apples
    raw veggies
    sunsweet prunes (delicious, but 100 cal for 4)
    yogurt
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Nuts, string cheese, fruit (duh :D), vita muffin vita tops, granola bars, Kashi crackers, low cal popcorn, pretzel M&Ms (high in sugar though)...etc....
  • RosieB405
    RosieB405 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I like yougurt, popcorn, wheat thins, laughing cow cheese, triscuit, sugar free jello or pudding and of course fruit and veggies.
  • ScubyUK
    ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Careful with adding too much fruit, especially apples, pears etc, as these tend to be quite high in sugars and can send your carbs through the roof.

Instead switch to berries (Blueberries\Raspberries and Blackberries)

If you want to add some protein in there without taking a hit on carbs, then cooked chicken breast (no skin), Smoked Salmon (low in sat fats, high in good fats, careful of the sodium contents) are both excellent suggestions.

Oat biscuits are good as well (Nairn's if you are in the UK) as they come in sweet and savoury varieties.
  • amyhollar
    amyhollar Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Careful with adding too much fruit, especially apples, pears etc, as these tend to be quite high in sugars and can send your carbs through the roof.

Instead switch to berries (Blueberries\Raspberries and Blackberries)

If you want to add some protein in there without taking a hit on carbs, then cooked chicken breast (no skin), Smoked Salmon (low in sat fats, high in good fats, careful of the sodium contents) are both excellent suggestions.

Oat biscuits are good as well (Nairn's if you are in the UK) as they come in sweet and savoury varieties.

Apples are only medium on the sugar scale and pack a TON of fiber and have a high water content so are very flling. They are consistently ranked (along with berries) as one of the best fruits to snack on by trainers and nutritionists.
  • 0flynnstone0
    Options
    del monte 50 cal fruit tins
    cottage cheese
    rice cakes
    blue bunny 100 cal ice cream bars (or any of the skinny cow or weight watchers ice cream treats, but they're a little more pricey)
  • haileyro
    haileyro Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    thanks so much for all the help!
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been taking hummus/pita to work a lot - it is filling, low fat, and can be low carb - I recommend Joseph's low carb pita or light Flatouts
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Apples are only medium on the sugar scale and pack a TON of fiber and have a high water content so are very flling. They are consistently ranked (along with berries) as one of the best fruits to snack on by trainers and nutritionists.
    Ditto! Just wanted to make this clear - They may be higher in carbs that some other fruits but they also pack a huge nutritional punch and lots of fiber. Don't fear the apple! They do a great job of keeping you feeling full, and if you're feeling like you need a quick dessert-y afternoon snack, slice one up and microwave it for 45 seconds with a little cinnamon sprinkled on top. Tastes like the bottom of an apple crisp without all the sugar and carb-y topping :)
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been taking hummus/pita to work a lot - it is filling, low fat, and can be low carb - I recommend Joseph's low carb pita or light Flatouts
    Hummus with raw veggies like carrots, cauliflower, cucumber and zucchini is a great way to curb your hunger as well. I love these veggies because if you portion out 2Tbsp of hummus and run out, they are still super sweet and tasty on their own :happy: Carrots especially fill me up and are super sweet if you cut them from raw, instead of eating the processed baby carrots from the bag. Sugar and carbs? Yes. But it's fresh, whole produce. You could be doing worse :tongue:
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Clementines (only 35 cals each) and FUJI apples (Fuji's taste the BEST).
  • amyhollar
    amyhollar Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Clementines (only 35 cals each) and FUJI apples (Fuji's taste the BEST).

Fuji's are great! I personally like Honeycrisps the best though. All apples are delicious!!! (except Red Delicious apples....how did they mess those up so bad? they taste TERRIBLE!)
  • xoopsyxdaizyx
    Options
    ive been loving clementines lately.

also, i just purchased the laughing cow cheese wedges. i ate the creamy swiss cheese spread on top of trader joe's everything crackers. delicious!