what would you eat in a 2400 calorie day diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I am cracklin in at 1200 cals...not including exercise cals (which I live for)...I would love some of yours:laugh:

Hehe, I only have 1,200 calories too, but I am usually fine as long as I don't eat too much for one meal so the next is too skimpy.

But, if I do have extra calories apples and peanut butter keep me full for a long time.
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    If you eat healthy choices you can get a lot of filling food into your body to help with hunger pains.

Salads -- filling and you can eat a TON
    Veggies -- stay away from corn, peas, and you can fill up on broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, etc
    Fruits - can get high but two apples a day is a good amt around 110 for two
    Protein -- lean protein, chicken / turkey / eggs (1 whole 2 egg whites)
    Carbs -- multigrain types,

I read somewhere -- the closer to the ground a food is the better it is for you, example; choose orange over juice, juice over sports drink.
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    For 2400 calories I would eat 6 - 8 (probably 8) meals of about 300 calories each.

I tend to eat small meals and snacks all day long from 6 a.m. until 10 or 11 p.m.

Look at total calories and also keeping the foods balanced, not too much of any type of food.
    Fruits, vegetables, nuts, whole grains, high quality meats, these are your friends.

I find a 1/4 cups of nuts about 1 - 2 hours after breakfast holds me awhile, then I have an apple, then lunch, then an apple or grapefruit, then a light, early dinner, then a snack, then a second dinner, then a snack. My snacks tend to be fruits or nuts as they are easy to pack with me. I eat lunch and most dinners at school/work so I have to plan ahead for meals and snacks.

Try to plan out a few days worth of food and prepare it so that it is ready when you start to get hungry.
    Take your time eating.
    Be prepared to feel hungry for a day or two until your body does some adjusting. If you get through the first day or two your body really will adapt.

Let us know how you are doing.
  • MsLadybug
    Options
    If you are like me, I get into trouble when I eat start eating non-complex carbs - white flour and sugars. I would suggest that you concentrate on whole grains and getting enough protein to balance your carbs. I personally opt for the zone (40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat equation (good fats like olive oil, avacado and nuts)). I find when i keep this balance or close to it, I'm less likely to snack and crave more food after i've eaten my calories.
  • pinkpixies
    Options
    My nutritionist says that protein keeps you feeling full longer. She wants me to get 120 g of protein a day. (I'm just under 300 lbs so about the same as you.) So maybe try eating high protein foods...

Heres a few off the top of my head that I like:

kashi go lean crunch or hot cereal (I believe 9 g of protein per serving)
    fat free or low fat milk
    yogurt
    cottage cheese (Friendship brand has 90 cals and 16 g of protein per 1/2 cup)
    eggs or egg beaters
    veggie burgers (boca are only 70 calories and have 13 g of protein)
    whey protein shakes (most mixes have around 18 g of protein...plus you add some type of milk which adds more. It keeps me feeling full for a long time!)
    whole grain pasta is generally kinda high in protein and fiber...which keeps you feeling full.
    beans! (I love black beans best...or kidney beans in chili mmmmmm)
    and any kind of meat or fish obviously hehe
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Elle,

If I understand your post, you have no problem eating 2400 calories but rather have a hard time staying under and are still hungry. Here's what I would advise:

1. Eat 6 to 8 small meals a day that are all around 400 calories each.
    2. For each meal make sure that you are getting a lean protien as that will keep you full longer, and
    add bulk with lots of fresh fruits and veggies.
    3. For at least a couple meals a day add in some kind of whole grain like oatmeal or a whole
    grain bread.
    4. Make sure you are getting sufficient healthy fat in your diet as it will keep you full longer and help
    with energy levels.

With exercise I usually eat about 1600 to 1700 calories a day, but lately I've been exercising a lot and have had up to 2000 calories. Here's what I have planned today:

Breakfast:
    Quaker Weight Watchers Oatmeal (has more protien)
    1 large banana
    1/2 cup blueberries

Mid-morning snack
    1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese (I don't like yogurt)
    1 cup blueberries

Lunch:
    Homemade macaroni and spaghetti sauce (lots of veggies in the sauce)
    Tomatoe and cucumber salad with light balsamic dressing

Note: I make the macaroni for four and then divide it into portions for lunches. so it's about a cup of macaroni with the sauce.

Afternoon snack
    Carrots with hummus
    Hard boiled egg

Dinner
    8 oz boneless pork chop
    Sauted green beans with garlic and butter
    Green Giant digestive health frozen vegetables

Evening snack
    Sliced cheese and crackers

That will put me at about 1800 calories You could easily increase the portions or add some other small snacks into it. You'll notice my evening meal is larger than normal. That's because I tend to cheat if I'm sitting around the house in the evenings feeling hungry. So I plan a bigger meal in the evenings. Trust me, the combination of a protien, which has staying power, and bulk fruit and vegetables should keep you satisfied. The trick is to plan it out ahead of time. Never leave your house without a plan of what you are going to eat for the day and how you are going to exercise. It's the spur of the moment decisions that will get you in trouble.

A couple other tips:

Salads with cheese and nuts are very bulky and filling and, as long as your reasonable in your cheese and nut portions are not too high in calories. You can have a HUGE salad for under 500 calories.

I find that deli meats do not fill me up. I bake boneless/skinless chicken breast over the weekend, slice them up and then use them in sandwiches and salads during the week. For some reason, I feel more satisfied, like I've had real food.

Hope this helps.
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I was going to reply, but I think "lessertess" stole all my answers!

I started at 215 with I think 1800 or so calories to eat and I felt like I was starving. But then at 170, I was around 1350 calories and REALLY hungry at night, so I'm slowing down to 1 pound/week and am around 1500 cals now. Some days I'm hungry, other days not so much.

I try to eat a lot of fruit - one serving with every meal. I also like a protein with every meal. Also, a carb. Heck, just eat the food groups!!

I really like the Kashi Go Lean Crunch Cereal - I mix it with 1/3 cup Fiber One regular cereal. Whole wheat bread with lean meat and cheese is my favorite lunch - and tuna salad!

Just plan, plan, plan!! Buy lower-calorie foods so you can eat more of them! I like Wonder Light Wheat bread - 5 g Fiber and 80 cals per serving. Thomas Light multigrain english muffins are good. bananas are filling, plums and oranges too - good fiber, liquid to stay hydrated, and heavy keeps you full!

Good luck!
  • Fitztay
    Options
    I am cracklin in at 1200 cals...not including exercise cals (which I live for)...I would love some of yours:laugh:
    Me too! Would LOVE some of those extra calories! As it stands now I burn most of my calories by lunch time and HAVE to work out if I want a decent dinner! :)
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    In rssponse to your basic question, I too find myself feeling hungry unless I am careful.

I find the battle is twofold, bulk and protein:

You need to consume bulky foods to keep you stomach full:

Fruit, vegetables including some starchy ones corn, potatoes, and whole grains you need to try to keep the toppings to a minimum or low fat.

You need to consume protein to keep your mind "full" if you are short here you will "feel" hungry even if your stomach is full.

Lean protein: fish, shrimp or other shellfish, low or non-fat cottage cheese, egg beaters, white meat turkey and chicken.

In addition you need to eat about every 3 hours during the day. I try to eat at 7, 10, 1, 4, 7. Each time I try to have either a fruit or vegetable and some protein.

With the rest of your calories you should enjoy whatever you are craving. Just be careful to control portions and avoid whatever your trigger foods are.