I need to get out of this FUNK!

Options
So a couple of weeks ago, my Dr.strongly suggested that I stop doing the high-impact aerobics I was doing because I have achilles tendonitis - a highly inflamed achilles tendon. Ouch! So, I was pretty bummed and annoyed because I wasn't really intending to join a gym, but that's most likely where I'll find the low-impact activities he suggested (a recumbant bike/swimming pool.)

Ok, so I was bummed, but I got over it. I have decided to tone down the aerobics I was doing and do more walking and yoga, so I can continue to work out at home like I want, and have been successful doing. Great, right? Yay me!

Then last weekend, my whole family got really horribly sick with the flu. My two little ones, my husband and I all had fevers and nastiness. I got, and still have, a really crappy cough. I've been taking cough medicine at night and it makes me really groggy in the morning so it's hard to get moving. On top of that, before I even really got over that, I have another (or a continuation of the first) stomach bug. Everytime I eat something, it makes me run to the bathroom within minutes. Ugh!

So, I'm starving, but I don't really want to eat. And what I do eat hasn't been great. It hasn't really been that bad, but I'm going back to my old bad snacking habits. Eating Valentine candy, snacking on crap instead of good snacks (although I have noted every morsel I put in my mouth.)

The worst part is that I haven't been cooking, which is something I truly love to do. I have been successful because I love to find recipes I can tweak to make healthier, and I've been doing great with that. I think my problem is that I haven't started exercising again. It's been almost 2 weeks since I've done anything but walk. I know that's probably what my issue is, but I'm having a hard time getting back into things. Plus my son had minor surgery yesterday (tubes in his ears) so I've been chilling out with him.

I know I have legitimate reasons for having rested and regrouped, but I haven't decided if I should be past that and I'm just making excuses, or if I should keep resting. It's like this vicious cycle of grogginess and exhaustion in the morning, then I just laze around. I am so over not feeling well, and I feel like the exercise would probably help if I would get off my butt to do it. And I know I shouldn't complain, but it probably isn't helping that I've still managed to lose 9 lbs in about 10 days, just by cutting back on my calories (and I had no appetite for several days.)

Don't get me wrong, I am ecstatic with the weight loss, but I am not happy with how I've been the last 2 weeks. Am I just sick of being sick and having no energy? Or do I have a right to be angry with myself for being lazy? Or should I just continue to rest up and watch my calories until I'm feeling better?

I'm conflicted!!

Replies

• LFern
    LFern Posts: 141
    Options
    Continue to rest up and watch your calories but make the calories you eat HEALTHY choices! Your low energy and slow recovery may be due to lack of vitamins and GOOD nutrients that your body is needing desperately right now!

Get well SOON :flowerforyou:
  • sonpet
    sonpet Posts: 16
    Options
    Wow..I am not sure what to say ...I know what it feeld like to get yourself into a funk..but at the sme time your body needs rest to heal so maybe giving yourself a break is just what you need inorder to regroup and come back with a new refreshed drive to succeed. Sound like you have the right knowledge and drive so just keep up the good work!
  • orchid100
    orchid100 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear you`re still having a hard time Hunni ... don`t knock you self out over this. after a flu it can take weeks to get your strength properly back., That's probably why you`ve picked up the tummy upset (though I know some cough bottles can have that side efffect if you need them for a while)
    Give yourself time, relax and get your strength back... then and only then do you start worrying about eating habits and exercise you and your family come first .

Take care of yourself and I hope to hear you`re feeling a little better in every way in the days ahead

T x
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I just went through this too. Sick for a week and took it slow and didn't eat alot. Just starting to get back. The first sweat was the best. It helped me get back on track. I started to eat and burn the goo. One thing you don't want, is to your body to burn muscle, so start eating and psyc yourself for 1 hardcore sweat workout. Things will start to fall back into place
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
  • Shamrock40
    Options

It did. The neck rule is an excellent point of reference and I will use it now and in the future. I think part of my problem is that I'm frustrated with not feeling well and after making so much progress and exercising frequently, I feel like a slug for not continuing to do so. But there is clearly a reason for it. My body needs the rest. I went for a long, but slow, walk today with the kids and it felt great to be outside getting fresh air. I will just take it slow, but try to get back in the game.