New to the Community- New NO SUGAR DIET

Options
Hi all,

I am new to the Community portion of My Fitness Pal but I have been using the application on my phone for the last 4 Months. I have lost 4 lbs and am now focusing on shredding fat and muscle building. A friend told me today to cut out all of the sugar out of my diet including eliminating fruit. Do you all have any suggestion that may help?

Replies

• LizardIsANerd
    Options
    STOP DIETING!!!
    You are making lifestyle changes and cutting out all sugars isn't a lifestyle change that you can make permanent. The Sugar in fruit is healthy!!!!
    Instead of focusing on diet "rules", focus on counting your calories, eating plenty of protein and doing your workouts.
  • sonpet
    sonpet Posts: 16
    Options
    I also have cut all refined sugar from my diet..it is a very unhealthy thing for your body and I believe impeeds our capability for weight loss. You can always try Stevia or agave for an alternative if you find yourself longing for the white drug.
    By the way once you get the nasty stuff from your diet and start eating clean you will be much healthier and it can be a long term change for a healthier you. Just learn to eat what nature gave us and not the processed junk. Fruit on the other hand is NOT a bad thing
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    you never eliminate fruit. your body needs the natural sugar. it's the refined sugar that you need to avoid and keep the natural sugar in check.
  • marinabrazil
    marinabrazil Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am against diets that completely eliminate ANY of the nutrients. Welcome and good luck!
  • red14
    red14 Posts: 3
    Options
    I've cut out white sugar as much as possible but not fruit. My trainer says that anything that grows in nature is good for you in controlled amounts, but she says that about everything...HAHA! Truthfully I have focused on not eating anything processed and portion control.
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Anything grown in nature is good for you! Eat it!!!
  • cmyrick75
    cmyrick75 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I am against diets that completely eliminate ANY of the nutrients. Welcome and good luck!

I agree! It goes back to when you learned about the food pyramid and how your body needs certiain things in order to function properly. I've learned its all about eating in moderation and burning more than you consume. :)
  • conniem60
    Options
    Agree with all of the above! Cut out the refined sugars and stick to whole fruits (no fruit juices unless you juice it yourself)...noone ever got fat eating fruits :)
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Eat foods you know are healthy as often as you can
    Eat more earlier in the day than you normally would- don't horde calories for dinner
    Not eating fruit is stupid
    Eat to the calorie goal suggested by MFP, NOT significantly under. Aim to eat around 2-300 cals for b-fast, 3-400 for lunch, 3-500 for dinner- and 2-400 for snacks. Adjust dinner around your other meals, not the other way around.
    Eat at least some of your exercise cals- if you work out at night plan extra calories into your day-time meals. Don't try to eat 1300 calories at 8:00 at night.
    Don't cut anything out of your diet - its a waste of time. Even if it works, you could have more sustainable results just by using calorie counting to re-teach yourself moderation.
    Don't try to lose 2lbs a week. If MFP's calorie goal for you is 1200 per day- choose the next slowest setting for weightloss. (ie if you are at 1lb per week and it says 1200, dial it back to .5 lb/week)
    Drink all of your water
    Don't worry so much about what the scale tells you. Focus on making healthy, sustainable choices in your day to day life, going crazy on pizza once in a while or drinks with the girls really won't be a big deal.

Most of all relax. Don't try to "fix" everything in 1 night. Even small amounts of weight don't do on overnight or even in 1 week. They certainly won't come off that quickly.

Good luck!
  • javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I agree, cutting out fruit is a silly thing to do! Fruit is high in fibre and antioxidants, and the complex sugars aren't the issue. It's the evil refined sugars that kill you! I cut out all refined sugar (read the ingredients on every label, you'd be amazed what they put it in) for six months once and lost a bunch of weight. I got really creative about making desserts w/out sugar so I didn't feel deprived.
  • kjsmith567
    Options
    Wow thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I tried it for a week but I must say it was tough. I think that I will go back to eating the fruits. Granola bars were my vice for a long while. It helps to know that I don't NEED them in my normal diet for snack as I previously thought.

Just a note: the swelling underneath my eyes went away when I eliminated the sugar for a few days. I hadn't seen my eyes look that normal in years. I thought that it was hereditary, turns out I was eating too much sugar. Less sugar will be a lifestyle change for sure!!