Top three reasons why MFP is better than facebook for me.

Options
1. I don't wanna give you anything for Farmville, I'd rather give or receive motivation for the next run.
2. I don't wanna hear what tv show you now enjoy, I wanna hear how hard you pushed yourself last workout.
3. i don't wanna see your vacation pics...I wanna see pics of transformations.

If you think like me...please add me as a friend.

Add your reason why MFP is better than Facebook for you.

Replies

• LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes!! Look out for a friend request here :)
  • LadyKT
    LadyKT Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Add your reason why MFP is better than Facebook for you.

I dont' want to sit on my butt for hours reading about people's lives, half of whom i really don't give a damn about :laugh:
  • samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    They are both so addicting & are similar in setup, but the difference is that with MFP I actually learn about health...facebook is just really a waste of time for the most part. MFP has a lot of benefits for me, especially when it comes to motivation & learning, but facebook I don't LEARN from...I just socialize in general with that. I have noticed I have been on MFP a lot more and Facebook a lot less...just a side note...
  • dkelz
    dkelz Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    MFP is better than fb because we all have the same goal here. To get or stay healthy! I don't want to see your post on the all you can eat ribs nite at your fav restarant! :smokin:
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Since I started MFP in early Jan, the time I spend on facebook has greatly decreased... Only problem is, I find that I'm spending just as much time here as I was spending there! Swapped in one drug for another, I guess!

As for why it's better? It motivates me to become the runner / and all around fit person I want to be, rather than making me feel bad that I'm not already that person!
  • sonpet
    sonpet Posts: 16
    Options
    DIDO.......WOOT WOOT
  • LFern
    LFern Posts: 141
    Options
    I LOVE the way you think! :laugh: :drinker: :wink: :bigsmile:

Why is MFP better than facebook for me?

1. Because my MFP friends make me get off my *kitten* and MOVE! :tongue:

2. Because my MFP friends BELIEVE that I AM going to do it this time! :noway:

3. Because MFP makes me take a harsh look at what goes through these lips and on to my hips!:huh:
  • JillyBean819
    JillyBean819 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't change their page layout every other day and their links actually work.
    ...can't say the same about Mobile Facebook.

The people on MFP are more fun and uplifting than people on FB. I've grown tired of seeing all the negative or TMI status updates that people post to FB.
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    (:flowerforyou: already a friend)

No one on Facebook really gets the enormity of what i feel when i say i am 1.2 lbs away from crossing over into a "healthy" BMI when i used to be obese! (and yes, i know BMI is a bunch of bunk) ... Still, "getting to healthy" was my initial goal and it was soooooo far away when i started and now i am on the cusp of realizing that goal AND I've grown brave enough to strive for even bettter, healthier goals, and i've even become *gasp* athletic along the way.

On Facebook i get the "you look great, whats your secret? [eyes glaze over immediately]"

On MFP people actually CARE about the new running socks i have or the new half-marathon training plan schedule or the kashi go lean crunch w/ greek yogurt addiction i am battling LOL

lotsa MFP love here! :love: :flowerforyou: :love: :flowerforyou: :love: :flowerforyou:
  • sixpackgoal
    Options

No one on Facebook really gets the enormity of what i feel when i say i am 1.2 lbs away from crossing over into a "healthy" BMI when i used to be obese! (and yes, i know BMI is a bunch of bunk) ... Still, "getting to healthy" was my initial goal and it was soooooo far away when i started and now i am on the cusp of realizing that goal AND I've grown brave enough to strive for even bettter, healthier goals, and i've even become *gasp* athletic along the way.

On Facebook i get the "you look great, whats your secret? [eyes glaze over immediately]"

On MFP people actually CARE about the new running socks i have or the new half-marathon training plan schedule or the kashi go lean crunch w/ greek yogurt addiction i am battling LOL

lotsa MFP love here! :love: :flowerforyou: :love: :flowerforyou: :love: :flowerforyou:

You are so much like me it is scary. Are you my long lost sister.
    You are gonna crush that half marathon. I cannot wait for my second in Chicago 9/11/2011
  • tlussier
    tlussier Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Funny that you bring this up! I am on maternity leave and I used to play all those facebook games while feeding my little one and just the other day I logged into facebook and I had over 100 game requests. I realized that since I got back on MFP I totally ditched facebook! I prefer MPF because it motivates me to get OFF my butt and all facebook did was keep me ON my butt! I still enjoy a bit of Facebook but maybe one twelfth of the time that I used to!
  • dkelz
    dkelz Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't change their page layout every other day and their links actually work.
    ...can't say the same about Mobile Facebook.

The people on MFP are more fun and uplifting than people on FB. I've grown tired of seeing all the negative or TMI status updates that people post to FB.

AMEN!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • SarahRuth♥
    SarahRuth♥ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    They are two totally different tools with two totally different purposes. One is not better than the other.

I use my Facebook to communicate with real family and friends, who are unfortunately spread around the country. We share pictures and keep up with each other. I don't friend random people on Facebook. I have about 30 friends there. I do care about their daily lives. They are important people in my life.

I use this site to find motivation from others who have a similar interest in fitness. I will friend people who will motivate me, people who post interesting and helpful information, and people who are in need of motivation from others. However, I won't post pictures of my kids here!!

In my case, the two websites just can't be compared.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I have a personal facebook for family&friends only, and a fitness facebook.....but beachbody coaches always trying to make a dollar out of me! so I hated that....recently deleted all of them..tired of hearing of p90x insanity and shakeology.:grumble: ...if i want to know ill stay up late or wake up very early and turn on the tv....:laugh: :tongue:
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    1) People on here have the same sort of goals as me
    2) I actually communicate with the majority of people on here
    3) It would be far more beneficial for me to spend ages on MFP, than ages on FB.

Since joining here I've spent less and less time on facebook and now I tend to log on, realise nothing interestings going on and log straight back out 5 minutes later lol. It definately has it's uses no doubt about that, and is an easy way for me to get in touch with several people I see often, but it didn't need as much usage as it was getting haha
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way!! I can post something Ive accomplished over there and people will go "and? so?" and here its "WTG, awesome" etc. Really makes me feel supported. Mostly I use my Facebook as a way of keeping in touch with all our family and friends who live in different states, most 1000+ miles away. Its a way for family to see updated pics of my kids and what they're up to.
  • sunbeam11
    Options
    1) With Facebook, old friends are insulted if you don't recognize them when you run into them in public. With the help of MFP, I'll be complimented if they don't recognize me anymore. :bigsmile:

2) Facebook also tries to eat up too much of my time (that could be put to better use). MFP is quick and easy to log my stuff and go on.

3) Facebook puts your nose in everybody's business. MFP helps me get down to business--right now all I am concerned with is my own life. I'd still rather get a phone call or a personal email from my family and friends. Facebook can be such an unnatural form of communication, distant and disconnected. I have one so I can be found if necessary, but I have all but 2 notifications turned off so it won't pester me all day. If you want to store and share your photos, there's always Photobucket or Flickr.
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options

EXACTLY! No one on MFP would ever say (as my FB friend did on Friday) " I know you're going to happy hour tonight, but you can still go have Chinese with us for lunch! Geez, you look great, give it a rest!"

Love ya, MFP. You GET me! :love:
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options

You are so much like me it is scary. Are you my long lost sister.

Hmm we'd have to be twins then... i see we're both 40 LOL
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    *great tips on simple and delicious food substitutions
    *transfomations pictures and stories
    *MY WEIGHT LOSS TICKER
    *educational articles

MFP= inspiration, support, health, education
    FBook= narcissism, twitter-esk status updates, and four square check ins.(i dont need to know everytime you go to dairy queen! why dont you tell me a new trick on interval training instead?? )