exercise calories decreasing?

Options
Has anyone else noticed the calories burned for the same exercise going down over time? For example - I bike every day, and used to burn 186 calories in 30 minutes. Now I only burn 178 for the same thing. Does MFP adjust if you do an exercise for a long time, or is it because my weight is dropping? Any insight would be great - thanks!

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Part of the equation of calories burned is based on your weight- so yes as you lose you will burn less.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    It goes off your weight. A person who weights more burns more according to their calculation. Doesn't take into account how hard you are working or what your heart rate is at, so I prefer a HRM. However, my HRM shows my burning less as time goes on, since I get in better condition, my HR does not climb as high and I weight less.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you used an HRM it would go down even more, as you burn less calories doing the same thing as your body gets use to it, it will also drop as you get more fit overall. So it is a T ripple whammy when losing weight as calories burned drops for 3 reasons.
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    If you used an HRM it would go down even more, as you burn less calories doing the same thing as your body gets use to it, will also drop as you get more fit overall. So it is a Tripple whammy when losing weight as calories burned drops for 3 reasons.

Yup this, you wanna try to switch up your exercises to keep your body confused so that at least drops one thing out that would be killing your calories.
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    your weight changes and your calorie burn changes.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    If there is one PLUS to carrying the extra weight, it's the high burn rate. Enjoy it while you can! I remember when I was starting my journey and I could get on treadmill and walk at a 4% incline at a brisk walk and burn 1,000 calories in an hour! I'd look over at that skinny little doctor lady running her #%@ off on the treadmill yesterday for a half hour and her calorie read would be about 156. I used to love that!!

Now that my calorie burn is slower, I remember all of that fondly ... but it's a small price to pay for coming out of that journey much healthier!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    If there is one PLUS to carrying the extra weight, it's the high burn rate. Enjoy it while you can! I remember when I was starting my journey and I could get on treadmill and walk at a 4% incline at a brisk walk and burn 1,000 calories in an hour! I'd look over at that skinny little doctor lady running her #%@ off on the treadmill yesterday for a half hour and her calorie read would be about 156. I used to love that!!

Now that my calorie burn is slower, I remember all of that fondly ... but it's a small price to pay for coming out of that journey much healthier!

Definitely this.
  • sunleigh
    sunleigh Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i wear a hrm and when doing level 1 of the shred i do not burn the same amount of calories i used to when i first started, it is just easier now and my heart rate does not get going like it did in the beginning. this is why it is good to change up the workout. you never want it to get easy or it will not burn like you want it too. i went to level 2 and my calories burn is back up there again b/c i am working harder and pushing my body and heart.
  • capsaicyn
    capsaicyn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! It makes total sense of course, but I wanted to make sure it was MFP taking things into account and not me going crazy. I really appreciate all your advice. I've been using the bike as a bookstand while I study, but I think once the exams are over I'm going to switch up my routine and give MFP a run for its money. =)