New Member Today- Always Hungry

Options
I am a new member today. I am 28 years old and am stuck at 117 Ibs and I am 5'2". I want to lose around 7-9 Ibs. I work out everyday (running 4-5 miles) and "try" to eat pretty well. I am eating too many calories for dinner though so I thought that I would sign up for myfitnesspal to start counting calories. My problem is, whenever I start counting calories along with running 4-5 miles 5 days a week, I am constantly hungry. I know people say to eat more protein and I try to but it doesnt seem to help. Any suggestions/advice?? By the way, I love the sight and am excited to start counting cals again since this sight is so user friendly! Hopefully this will keep me motivated!

Replies

• mckval
    mckval Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are getting enough water (half your body weight in ounces) and try eating 5 small meals a day...

And, 117 seems like a great weight! I'm 5'2.5" and will be delighted to get into the 120s.
  • liscar
    liscar Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Eat a big breakfast - snack (healthy) - midsize lunch - snack (healthy) - then a smaller dinner

I've found that if I include oatmeal in the mix, I'm not munching later -- kind of sticks with me
  • timanda2
    timanda2 Posts: 149
    Options
    I know you have a goal to lose weight, but do you really need to lose weight? You are at a great level for your BMI.
  • 3kidsin3years
    3kidsin3years Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I don't know that I'll have many suggestions, but I can sure try, it sounds like we're in pretty much the same boat. I'm also relatively new (just a couple of weeks) and only have "that last few pounds" to lose, I use the elliptical 5 or 6 days a week, but I don't go as far as you do, and I used to consume way too many calories. I found myself very hungry the first several days, and still do at times. I just try to drink more water and chew gum (watch the cals on that, too, though), and it seems to help. With as many calories as you burn running, can you try the whole "eat several smaller meals a day" routine? I have found the last several days, I've managed to eat under my calories quite easily and I'm not as hungry, I actually have to look around to find something to eat to use up my calories (to find something other than candy, anyway =), so maybe my body is adjusting? Good luck!
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Protein, fiber, water, more meals, less sugar.
  • Curvyboom
    Options
    Here's my diet, I've lost 8 lbs in 5 weeks (I'm female, 29, 5'7", and now 129lbs) and I'm never hungry.

8am: Protein Shake with 1/2 cup raw oatmeal blended in
    10:30am: Protein Shake
    12:30pm: 3/4 cup brown rice, 4oz meat, 4oz steamed veg (usually broccoli) (dressed up with spicy mustard, peri-peri or hot sauce)
    3:30-4pm: Protein Shake
    7-7:30ish: 4-6oz Protein, 3-6oz veg (no carbs)

It's actually hard to get up to calories with this diet (I aim for 1200 but usually end up closer to 1100) which is nice because I don't worry about using olive oil or butter for sautéing. I've heard the key is to cut out the carbs at night, and it's worked for me. Oh, also this is a 6-day a week diet, and on Saturdays we have a "free" day, meaning pizza or In N Out, but we've found we don't want nearly as much as we used to even with those things.

My boyfriend has lost 20lbs in 5 weeks without working out at all. I work out the same as always, 3-4 times a week.
  • TeresaJTuck
    TeresaJTuck Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    First off, how many times a day do you eat? Do you just eat Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner? Or do you eat snacks, too.? You need to try to eat protein before you work out. By the time you exercise you will have ALL them calories out. Then when you get back from exercise eat more protein. Protein plays an important role in dieting. It helps you when you're hungry and it's filling.
    Now, if you're ONLY eating 3 square meals a day, that's not good. You need to add snacks through out the day.
    For instance, this is what I eat in a day:
    Breakfast:
    1 Package Oatmeal
    1 teaspoon Peanut Butter
    1/2 Banana or Low Fat Yogurt
    Coffee w/ sweetner & 5 teaspoons creamer

Lunch:
    2oz. Deli Turkey
    1 Slice Swiss Cheese
    2 Slices 45 calorie bread(Sara Lee, I prefer)

Snack:
    1 100 calorie pack snack
    1 small apple

Dinner:
    4oz. meat
    1Medium Potato
    Steam Veggies

Snack:
    2 slices 45 calorie bread
    2 teaspoon-1 Tablespoon Peanut Butter
    1 package Lunch Buddies(Fruit Snacks)
    1 mini bag 94% Fat Free Popcorn
    Coffee w/sweetner & 5 teaspoons creamer

I eat this and I don't seem to get hungry. I'm limited to 1,500 calories a day. I like you LOVE this sight. I've noticed since I started
    I've lost weight.
    In September 2009 I weighed 233.6lbs. I went on Nutri System and lost like 20lbs. by March 2010. I now weigh 187.6lbs.,losing the rest myself eating right and exercising at least 5 days a week.
    This helps me a lot and I do HOPE to continue to LOVE IT.
    I sincerely HOPE this helps you by what I wrote you.
    Write me back if you would like and vice versa, Teresa.
  • kgillman7
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your suggestions/motivation!! I think I am really going to love this sight! One of the previous posts by one of you put my current weight loss into perspective for me. I guess I am just trying to lose those last few lbs and have been for quite some time. I usually lose my motivation after I lose a couple of the lbs. This time I hope to keep going until I reach my goal so that I am able to maintain after that. Thank again for all of your help!
  • lisa_lotte
    Options
    Oh how I wish i weight 117lbs :laugh: