How many calories to lose weight?

Options
Hi All,

I was wondering where I could find something stating how many calories I should eat daily to lose 1-3 lbs. a week? I am just starting out and have been getting so many mixed messages.

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• emilysebastian
    emilysebastian Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    If you put the rate into your "Goals" section, it should calculate it automatically for you. Otherwise, a pound is roughly 3,500 cals if you want to do the math yourself :)

Good luck, and welcome!
  • crobertson1916
    Options
    Someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but one pound is the equivalent of 3500 calories. In other words, you would need to burn 3500 calories a week to lose one pound a week. Hope that helps.
  • EDBENAGLIO
    Options
    3500 calories make up a pound, soif you eat 500 cals less per day at the end of the week you'll have a pound less.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    nope you are right...3500 calories deficit is needed to lose one pound...either by reducing your intake and/or upping your movement....do not recommend losing more than 2-3 and i dont recommend going below 1200 net calories a day either....
  • Hillary1234
    Options
    honey, welcome. if you follow the 1200 calorie a day log along with excercise (not just a couple walks here and there but hitting the gym and sweating) anyone will lose weight. The scale is not the best way to see if you have lost, get a cloth tape measure and measure yourself properly annd write it down weekly. Fast weight loss isnt always the best, you want to lose weight for the right reasons not just because an upcoming event and thats usually why people want to lose fast but anything worth getting (like a rockin hot bod) takes time. Good luck, you'll do it but dont give up and dont rely on the scale
  • yyzdnl
    yyzdnl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Here is a link you might like John's BMR calculator is based on lean body weight, and he has lots of great info on his site.

http://www.hussman.org/fitness/bmrcalc.htm
  • chyleki
    Options
    Thank you everyone!! I am starting to workout and do cardio an hour a day which is far better than the nothing I have been doing! I didn't want to mess up my new found love of cardio by eating too many calories. I am trying to stay right in the 1500 mark even though I state 1200 I normally do from 1200-1500 a day. All of your advice has been great! Many thanks!