How to do the "mini-meal" thing when you have children?

Options
Any meal ideas (or coping strategies... LOL) for what to do at dinnertime when the whole family sits down expecting a big, 4 course meal, and you are only allowed a 350 calorie meal? Do I just focus on providing a healthy, balanced dinner, and I only get 350 calories worth? I dunno - I guess I just feel silly when I see what 350 calories looks like on a plate compared to what I usually have. Hope this doesn't annoy anyone - I am just seeing the challenges and trying to nip them in the bud.

Replies

• Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    It will not hurt if everyone eats a well balanced meal. It will be good for all. You just need to learn to limit your portions. Exercise so you will have more calories to eat.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    No, this IS tough. The way I manage is to eat very lightly during the day so I have enough calories to eat a more normal dinner with family. I still have to watch portion size, though, and sometimes I just have to leave off dessert. For those days I have sugar free pudding or mousse while the others have something better. It may not be the best plan, but this has worked for me. I try to have about 700 cals left for dinner.
  • vayax
    vayax Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    if you make the right choices you have a very big meal for 350 calories....I really don't have many ideas as I have a very light dinner (eat a lot more at breakfast and lunch) but add lots of veggies to whatever youa re having (chicken,fish is better) and you'll be full!
  • rlpetersen
    Options
    I definately understand...it is incredible to see what an appropriate portion is compare to what we used to have. I just try to fix something healthy that everyone enjoys and add lots of veggies and stuff that is low in calories that I can have extra of so that it seems like i am not having so much less than others.
  • Curvyboom
    Options
    I use big romaine lettuce leaves to fill up the plate so it doesn't look so empty and we end up putting our meat (usually marinated, grilled steak or chicken) in them and eating it like lettuce wraps. You really start to appreciate the crunchy, sweetness of lettuce when you cut out crunchy and sweet snacks. Easiest way to stick with a 350 calorie meal when everyone else is eating "normally" is just to not eat the carbs (at all!)
  • ricnrac
    ricnrac Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My approach probably isn't for everyone but I eat separate from my husband and kids if the family meal is not exactly diet material. I will get home from work before everyone else, start my dinner and theirs. Eat mine before they get home or before theirs is ready and then get the family dinner on the table and go in my rooom and exercise. That way I am not tempted to overeat. My meal is already laid out with proper portions and then I remove myself from the temptation of the family dinner.
  • lilac67
    lilac67 Posts: 311
    Options
    A good way to fill up and set a good example for the kids is use 1/2 your plate for veggies!! 1/4 of your plate for protein, 1/4 of your plate for whole grain or carb and 1/2 of your plate for veggies! That helps keep down the calorie count and fills you up.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I suggest you use a different plate.

While you serve your family on large dinner plates, you should use a salad plate. That way the difference doesn't appear so large. You will have smaller portions but still have a full plate.

You should also take time to fully explain to your children what it is that you are doing. That "Mommy needs to change her eating habits to get healthier so she has more energy to play with you" and then you stick to it. If you involve your kids and then you follow through, you'll be setting a good example for them.

I don't think it sets a good example to be constantly fighting the battle of the bulge or the small meals thing because your kids watch everything you do.

It's always great to get their diets changed at an early stage in life and you should make sure that you're still eating the same food as them, especially if that means they eat healthier, but you should always be taking smaller portions. Maybe now is a good time to be teaching your children about proper portions. I mean, do you want them to be having this same fight when they're older?
  • s_hamm_08
    s_hamm_08 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Here a website that might help: http://400caloriesorless.com/you. I've tried a few meals from here that my family liked and where with in my calories. I also plan out dinner early in the day that way I can make sure not to go over if we are eating something a little less healthy.
  • shannon_stallone
    Options
    I make dinners that they all will eat and I just portion mine out..:) It helps them to build good eating habits early I figure
  • SolidGoaled
    SolidGoaled Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the suggestions.

I don't think eating separately will work well - dinnertime is the only time of day we all get to sit down together as a family. And as far as saving calories so I can eat a big dinner - well, eating big at night is 85% of my struggle with food. I think I better not venture into that. :/

I will try bringing my kids and hubby into my world a little and getting us ALL to eat better, and as someone suggested, if there is a carb at the table, I my just pass over it and get double veggies or something.
  • up2me2lose20
    up2me2lose20 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I still cook "normally" for my family...I just measure and portion all my food out...pre-plate it and know that's what I'm eating for the meal. I slowly enjoy it instead of shoveling it in and helping myself to 2nds. It's worked for a month, I don't see why it won't work for the rest of my lfie! :smile: I do make some modifications. Instead of mashed potatoes with our beef roast, I will either bake or boil the potatoes. If my kids want butter on their potatoes, that's fine, but I don't need to make those fully loaded mashed potatoes every week.

I figure I'm setting a good example of portion control to my kiddos. It's hard. I know. I made excuses upon excuses for years. Even tried to tell myself I was beautiful in a large size. But that isn't me. I'm much happier this way.
  • dmcohee
    dmcohee Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    It definitely takes some adapting. Thankfully, I love vegetables. I still cook the same things that I use to for my family. I stopped eating, or at least limited, the starch and replaced it with lots of extra vegetables. My plate is still plenty full, just with different things. For spaghetti night I add squash or spinach and don't use many noodles, when I do Chicken Alfredo I use lots of steamed broccoli instead of noodles. I cook the vegetables seperate because my husband does not eat them and I try to use as many fresh vegetables, steamed or grilled, as possible. Taste way better than canned or frozen. I rarely eat potatoes or mac n cheese or dinner rolls. I also keep the Uncle Ben's whole grain brown ready rice on hand since it's quick. I like to add that to stir fry vegetables as a side.

Ground turkey instead of ground beef is an easy switch. My husband is ok with it in a few things, but still preferrs beef mostly, so sometimes when making meatballs, burgers, or meatloaf, I'll make myself a small turkey version seperately. Which works out good for me anyway because the rest of my family doesn't like onions and greenpeppers and I can add all I want :-)

I also love the Nature's Own Whitewheat rolls. They're only about 100 calories and are a good source or calcium, protein, and fiber.

Also, no more mayo, just mustard or a little barbeque. Very little butter/oil, cooking sprays or the I Can't Believe it's Not Butter spray.
  • crobertson1916
    Options
    My dinner for tonight is 302 calories and it is 4 course. I completely understand where you are coming from. My children are 5 and 2 and they are picky eaters. Most of the time, I have to feed them something entirely different than what my husband and I eat. Feel free to read my food diary if you'd like.
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I have a 7 year old and an almost 2 year old. We try to eat dinner together as a family most nights (except when my husband has to work late). For the most part we all have the same dinner and I make everyone's plate. I measure mine out so I know exactly how much I'm eating in order to list it and not eat too much. All the food stays on the island in our kitchen and if someone wants more, I get up and get them more. This helps us from not eating too much and I get in even more movement during dinner time.