Need HELP- Cooking Salmon Fillets

Options
WanabeHotMama
WanabeHotMama Posts: 102 Member
What is the best way to cook salmon fillets? I'm of course trying to keep calories low but I want it to taste good too! I'm new to fish and everything I'm reading online seems very fattening- a lot of frying! I am thinking I will probably bake them? Thanks!

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    i just wrap mine in foil and bake in a hot oven for 20 minutes
  • kpower1983
    kpower1983 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Baking is good but you can also poach in skimmed milk which keeps them really moist.

Try cream cheese on top (low fat of course) topped with wholegrain breadcrumbs - yummy with lots of green veggies!

Other than that not sure - be interesting to see if anyone comes up with some ideas for low fat sauces as I'd love to know!

x
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    the preferred method in our house is in a baking pan on tinfoil, with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice on each fillet, then some fresh pepper and topped with a slice of lemon on each fillet - cook at 325-350 until done (I like my salmon on the well-done side, so usually 35 ish minutes)... you can tell when they are done by taking a fork and seeing if the meat flakes off easily.

it is delicious and all about the salmon!
  • nmortensen
    Options
    I bake mine with galic infused olive oil and dill. I fold them into a closed foil pocked placed in a glass pan and bake them on 400degree for about 30 to forty minutes. They come out moist melt in your mouth delicious! Do not add salt. theres plenty in the fich already. I think I also sprinkle lots of plain garlic powner over the top. Last two times I added a garlic mustard spread I got from Trader Joes. The best Salmon I ever made!
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    NEVER NEVER NEVER fry salmon. YUCK! I like to bake mine with some minced garlic and thyme, or grill it. The George Foreman grill makes it pretty well during the winter months.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Baking is probably the healthiest way to go. I've been getting these delicious salmon fillets with crab and lobster stuffing on top (so delicious and healthy!). Just bake them for 20-25 minutes, I use a food thermometer to make sure I've cooked it all the way. I top it with some seasoning, but I've been meaning to experiment more with things to put on top. I'll have to try cream cheese!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Is it good fresh salmon? If so i would just salt and pepper it... throw it in a super hot pan with a little olive oil. just searing the outside, flipping it and doing the same on that side.

I like to pair it with asparagus and brown rice.... and a glass of white wine, of course.

The way I like to do asparagus is salt and pepper it and toss it in a hot pan ( I would use the pan that had the salmon in it) let it soften a bit and roll it over. Then i dump in a glass of white wine and a squeeze of lemon... use a wooden spoon to free any crisp salmon chunks... let it reduce down and use it as a sauce for your rice. I prefer to dump the rice into the pan with the sauce and mix it up there under heat rather then to dump it into the bowl with rice...
  • WanabeHotMama
    Options
    These are all really great suggestions, thank you so much!! Now I can't wait for dinner time :happy:
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    So many ways to cook salmon. I like to brush with olive oil, fresh lemon and sprinkle with salt pepper and garlic. Broil for about 7 minutes. Don't overcook it. Better to have it on the lighter side of done. It will keep cooking out of the oven for a few minutes.

I have also microwaved salmon for 2-3 minutes with the same flavors and a little water.

I also like it poached.

Good luck.
  • WanabeHotMama
    Options
    Is it good fresh salmon? If so i would just salt and pepper it... throw it in a super hot pan with a little olive oil. just searing the outside, flipping it and doing the same on that side.

I like to pair it with asparagus and brown rice.... and a glass of white wine, of course.

The way I like to do asparagus is salt and pepper it and toss it in a hot pan ( I would use the pan that had the salmon in it) let it soften a bit and roll it over. Then i dump in a glass of white wine and a squeeze of lemon... use a wooden spoon to free any crisp salmon chunks... let it reduce down and use it as a sauce for your rice. I prefer to dump the rice into the pan with the sauce and mix it up there under heat rather then to dump it into the bowl with rice...

Unfortunately it is not fresh salmon. Its frozen from the grocery store & I believe it is fresh caught- Alaskan? Just happened to go by it in the grocery store & thought I'd give it a try since I've heard many benefits of eating fish. I thought salmon may be a good place to start since I'm not a huge fish eater!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately it is not fresh salmon. Its frozen from the grocery store & I believe it is fresh caught- Alaskan? Just happened to go by it in the grocery store & thought I'd give it a try since I've heard many benefits of eating fish. I thought salmon may be a good place to start since I'm not a huge fish eater!

you could try it, but normally if I have it frozen I would go for one of the baking options... I always try to leave it more on the rare side, nothing worse then over cooked salmon.

I have a great fish market by me, and love to indulge with some fresh fish.... delicious and good for you.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    No one said grill? Season, put on a cedar plank (you can get them in just about any grocery store now days) and throw on the grill. MMMMMMMM That is good eats.
  • jansus
    jansus Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    tonight I took the skin off - added 1 tbs red thai curry paste- some fresh ginger grated - some chopped coriander and seasoning

whizzed in the blender

made into burgers and fried for 4 /5 mins each side - served with brown rice
  • genevaturtle
    genevaturtle Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have only tried Salmon once and it was fishy tasting. Too strong for me. I would love to find a great way to cook salmon and be able to eat it. Some of these methods/recipes sound wonderful.
  • med280679
    med280679 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    get the microwave steamer bags. that is the easiest way to cook fish and it's super fast too!
  • Annabelle2602
    Options
    love salmon fillets, i squeeze lemon on mine then add crushed chilli flakes then put them in the george foreman grill yummy :)
  • lisacornell
    lisacornell Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I lightly coat a 5 to 6 oz fillet with dijon mustard and then italian style breadcrumbs and bake at 350 for about 15 to 20 minutes. Comes out perfect and delicious every time.
  • nickyevans
    nickyevans Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Microwave it with some dill only takes a few minutes and stays moist.
  • tcarter12
    Options
    I grill or bake mine at 400 degrees. I brush the salmon with EVVO, add fresh cracked pepper, Salt, and Dill. Then cook it for 10 minutes.
  • callipygianchronicle
    Options
    I just tried this Alton Brown recipe for broiled salmon and it was INCREDIBLE: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/broiled-sockeye-salmon-with-citrus-glaze-recipe/index.html

My go to technique for cooking any fish:

Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season fish lightly with salt and pepper. Cook in pan skin side down (3 to 4 minutes). Flip the fish. Throw in a clove of sliced garlic. Squeeze the juice of half a lemon. Add a little water or white wine. Finish with teaspoon of unsalted butter and some chopped parsley (optional, but pretty). Serve the fish skin side down and spoon a little of the pan sauce on top. (Works with cod, tilapia, halibut, salmon, and almost any firm white fish you can think of.)