Fish Recipes needed for Non Fish Lovers

Options
I love fish, the family though...not so much. So I am looking for so good recipes that are picky kid friendly, if you have some that work... please share, thanks.

Replies

• fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I got this recipe from another MFP friend. And in fact, I'm making it tonight. She said it was delicious and doesn't have a "fishy" taste.

INGREDIENTS 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese 1/4 cup butter, softened 3 tablespoons mayonnaise 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice 1/4 teaspoon dried basil 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper 1/8 teaspoon onion powder 1/8 teaspoon celery salt 2 pounds tilapia fillets Ready in 15 min, Servings: 8 DIRECTIONS Preheat your oven's broiler. Grease a broiling pan or line pan with aluminum foil. In a small bowl, mix together the Parmesan cheese, butter, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Season with dried basil, pepper, onion powder and celery salt. Mix well and set aside. Arrange fillets in a single layer on the prepared pan. Broil a few inches from the heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the fillets over and broil for a couple more minutes. Remove the fillets from the oven and cover them with the Parmesan cheese mixture on the top side. Broil for 2 more minutes or until the topping is browned and fish flakes easily with a fork. Be careful not to over cook the fish. Nutritional Information Servings Per Recipe: 8 Amount Per Serving Calories: 203 Total Fat: 11.4g Cholesterol: 59mg Sodium: 144mg Total Carbs: 0.6g Dietary Fiber: 0.1g
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    What kinda fish you thinking about making?
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Of course, it needs to be modified a tad to be more "health" friendly. Like I am using light miracle whip instead of mayo, and reduced fat margarine, and reduced fat parmesan cheese.
    I got this recipe from another MFP friend. And in fact, I'm making it tonight. She said it was delicious and doesn't have a "fishy" taste.

INGREDIENTS 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese 1/4 cup butter, softened 3 tablespoons mayonnaise 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice 1/4 teaspoon dried basil 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper 1/8 teaspoon onion powder 1/8 teaspoon celery salt 2 pounds tilapia fillets Ready in 15 min, Servings: 8 DIRECTIONS Preheat your oven's broiler. Grease a broiling pan or line pan with aluminum foil. In a small bowl, mix together the Parmesan cheese, butter, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Season with dried basil, pepper, onion powder and celery salt. Mix well and set aside. Arrange fillets in a single layer on the prepared pan. Broil a few inches from the heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the fillets over and broil for a couple more minutes. Remove the fillets from the oven and cover them with the Parmesan cheese mixture on the top side. Broil for 2 more minutes or until the topping is browned and fish flakes easily with a fork. Be careful not to over cook the fish. Nutritional Information Servings Per Recipe: 8 Amount Per Serving Calories: 203 Total Fat: 11.4g Cholesterol: 59mg Sodium: 144mg Total Carbs: 0.6g Dietary Fiber: 0.1g
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Try river cobbler! It's quite a meaty fish and you can buy it smoked so it doesn't taste (or smell) 'fishy'. I had a fillet with a baked sweet potato and some salad. You can put it in soups, fry it lightly, casserole etc.
    I had it for the first timelast night and both me and my boyfriend loved it, think itmight be my new obsession.
    I don't know where you live but in the UK you can get it in ASDA and Tesco's,both of which get thier fish from surrey so the whole 'polluted water/bacteria filled fish' discussion doesn't come into it.
  • carlynishere
    carlynishere Posts: 330 Member
    Options

This sounds great - and I'm not a fish eater either. I do like Tilapia though and will have to try this one out! Thanks!
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I don't like fish very much but I did like tilapia.

I used the top recipe in this link.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2325881_cook-tilapia-easy-recipes.html
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I suggest Halibut. You can fry in olive oil and some paremesan and it has checken texture and not fishy at all.
  • slummymummy
    slummymummy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    How about fishcakes? I make mine with smoked haddock, but you could use any unsmoked white fish. Mix cooked, flaked fish with mashed potato, add some finely chopped spring onions and some chilli (fresh or flakes) then make into small patties. You can dip them in egg then breadcrumbs if you want to. Oven bake until they're warmed through.

Alternatively, try fresh tuna, swordfish or monkfish - these are all quite pricey, but they're all really meaty fish and great for non fish lovers. All of them are great chargrilled and sitting on a stew of mixed beans and tomato.
  • callipygianchronicle
    Options
    I just posted this on the salmon thread, but applies here, too. My husband swore he didn’t like fish until I started cooking it my go-to way.
    I just tried this Alton Brown recipe for broiled salmon and it was INCREDIBLE: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/broiled-sockeye-salmon-with-citrus-glaze-recipe/index.html

My go to technique for cooking any fish:

Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season fish lightly with salt and pepper. Cook in pan skin side down (3 to 4 minutes). Flip the fish. Throw in a clove of sliced garlic. Squeeze the juice of half a lemon. Add a little water or white wine. Finish with teaspoon of unsalted butter and some chopped parsley (optional, but pretty). Serve the fish skin side down and spoon a little of the pan sauce on top. (Works with cod, tilapia, halibut, salmon, and almost any firm white fish you can think of.)
  • DawnMarie1970
    DawnMarie1970 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Need to eat more fish (I don't care much for it), so......Bump!
  • cmrich0511
    Options
    I am a HUGE fish lover. But for families who aren't big on fish, try sticking with types of fish like tilapia or basa. They have little or no "fishy" flavor and are low cal & super flaky & delicious.

My daughter has something against the word fish, so when she has fish I tell her its chicken. I've quickly learned that lying for health reasons is ok LOL.

I would suggest dressing your fish in ways to kind of disguise it-- maybe try making meals that feel heavy with lots of different flavors to mask the taste of the fish so they might be more willing to try it, such as heavy tomato based soups (think: gumbo or stew). Also, try baking it with bread crumb or cornmeal coating with seasonings. You can even pan fry a piece of fish with cornmeal coating with pan spray, and its likely to be in the 150 calorie or less range for a piece of fish.
  • mikeveggie68
    Options
    thanks for the ideas