Struggling to gain weight :)

elka_elka
elka_elka Posts: 2
edited September 23 in Introduce Yourself
Hi all! My name is Lena and I am 27 years old. I know most people here are trying to lose weight and I know how frustrating the task might be (I have friends and family members doing it). But gaining weight is sometimes necessary too, and ever more frustrating because it often feels like you are all alone in it. After being underweight all my life and having experienced some health problems related to it, I am finally going to tackle my problem seriously!

I often wondered why I am not gaining weight, given that I never limited myself in anything. Then in august a nutrition consultant told me (big surprise) that I am actually starving myself on 1100-1300 calories a day. Since then I am trying to increase my calorie intake and feel like I am overeating all the time - yet still I am not meeting my goal.

I am glad I found this site as it has wonderful tools that are simple to use. And I hope I will find some friends here so that we can support each other.

Replies

• Pinoy_Pal
    Pinoy_Pal Posts: 280 Member
    You are not alone...Welcome!

:o]
  • I know how you feel. It took me several years to gain back the weight I lost when I got hurt.
  • me 2
  • Amcantar
    Amcantar Posts: 43 Member
    Welcome! You might feel alone, but hopefully most people on this site are trying to be *healthy* above all else, so whether we are loosing, gaining, or maintaining, we can all support each other!
    Best of luck, this site is great!
  • my brother had trouble putting on weight too. so ill give you tips i gave him, hes put on 5lbs since newyears. obviously, eating will help you put on weight but not in all cases. i made my brother join the gym with me. i told him not to use the cardio equipment, treadmill ect. but to use the strenth training. weights, ab-crucher ect. by putting on muscle, youll tone up, put on weight and look bigger too
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 581 Member
    I think like losing, trying to gain would be a gradual process. My daughter is trying to gain and the nutritionist was having her try to eat 430 calories every three hours. I don't think I could eat that many calories every three hours. So, I think you just have to look ahead at your goal and know that every day you'll try to eat a little bit more. Good luck in your journey.
  • Anidorie
    Anidorie Posts: 291 Member
    s for always feeling like you are overeating, eat food that is high in carbs such as rice. rice, gravy, and chicken would be a good meal that would be sufficiant in calories.you are not alone. i totally understand what it is you are facing. add me as a friend if you wish. i dont eat enough calories. if i did eat 1100-1300 calories in one day, i would either exercise like crazy or skip a few days worth of food. it is 3:15 and i have eaten 245 net calories in the day. yesterday i only ate 388 net calories all day. it is hard at times but we must keep trying. dont give in.
  • Heya, as a guy burning some extra fat before bulking up, I'll be joining you soon!

Healthy weight gain CAN be tough. Finding foods that are low in volume but high in calories is easy...but finding healthy variations...not so much!

I recommend lots of nuts and trail mixes, as well as dehydrated fruits and the such =)
  • Thank you all for your responses and support!

Anidorie, I figure I never was starving if you can survive on 388 calories a day :)
    AnmarieClark, thanks, I do try to do more strength training now. Hope that helps!
This discussion has been closed.