Ideas for food that travels well

abyt42
abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
edited September 23 in Food and Nutrition
A coworker has just had twins. I've previously made chile verde, chili, stuffed baked potatoes and molasses cookies for them, but all of those were freezer entrees for them to use in emergencies, and it's my night to cook. The chile verde is the quickest, but I would have needed to start the pinto beans this morning, so that's out.

From my prior experience, I know that handheld food is best for people with twins, and that new parents have a difficult time juggling baby stuff and taking care of themselves....

I have limited time tonight (it's for tomorrow's meal), and am looking for ideas that travel well, require little prep on their end, are relatively non-offensive, and are preferrably hand held.

Over the weekend I'm making stuffed breads and pizzetti for them (since the husband returns to work and the wife and babies will be at home, alone, with no local family support), but need something tasty and fast.....

Risotto stuffed portobello mushrooms? Salad greens with berries, blue cheese crumbles and a dressing?

Replies

• Well, from my experience as a mom, I'd kinda have to disagree with the "hand-held" option. You can lay a fork down on a plate, but it's harder to lay down a sandwich. If it were me, the easiest thing to eat would be something bite sized that you could spear with a fork but not have to cut - like country potatos, chunky shepherd pie. Anything bite sized that would stay together when you picked it up would be good too, like mini pizza wraps, or little sandwiches with sealed edges. Something that can be picked up and popped in your mouth while you have that half second before both hands have to be on baby(s) again.

My second vote is definitely microwavable! Put it in plastic, and small enough to fit in the "nuker".

Hope that helps! :)
  • This might seem a bit exotic, but I just made a whole bunch of "Kale Crisps" over the weekend and they are wonderful. Kale is one of those super foods and joined with a little olive oil, it becomes really tasty. (Even for those who don't particularly like cooked kale) The recipe is really easy and quick. They can be munched on just like potato chips but are far, far better for you and your new mother of twins.

This is obviously meant to be a snack. So someone else might have to suggest something more substanial.

The key to following any Kale Chips or Kale Crisps recipe is making sure the kale is dry after washing and not to salt until after it has been roasted/baked. Allow to cool completely before packing otherwise it will get soggy. You can put a cup's worth of kale crisps in a snack size baggie. If the kale does get soggy, it can be zapped in the microwave for 30-45 secs on a plate and it will crisp right back up.

Below are some links to a couple of people's recipes. The first one is the one I like (and is the quickest).

http://steamykitchen.com/6926-crispy-kale-recipe.html

http://www.threetastes.com/blog/blog_files/kalecrisps.php
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Thanks.

Is meatloaf a food that's too bound by family tradition? (For instance, my mom's has cream of mushroom soup on top. The ones with ketchup are just not "meatloaf" to me.....)

Can beggars be choosers?

How does meatloaf muffins, prebaked potatoes and prewashed salad greens sound?
This discussion has been closed.