Using Calories!

Options
Does it matter what you use your calories on as long as you dont go over?

i feel like im cheatin an not doin it properly even thought im still havin treats an still have at least 300 calories left per day?

Replies

• Chazz0r
    Options
    Your net cals a day should be at least 1200
  • arbragg
    arbragg Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I wonder that same thing sometimes...be interested in the responses!
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I suppose it matters what you are trying to achieve. You can at first 'lose weight' by just reducing your calories but as time goes on the quality of those calories becomes more important and if you want to build muscle of 'tone up' as people like to say then you'll really need to look at what you're eating. The occasional 'treat' is fine but too much sugar and fast food just isn't good for you.

All the best
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Not if they are empty calories. For example if you eat a couple of candy bars a day that still allow you under calories, all the fats and sugars in that are counter productive. I watch sugars, fat and sodium along with calories.
  • cjfoster
    Options
    Remember there are good calories and there are bad calories. Drinking a soda is a bad calorie. Fresh fruits and veggies--good calories.
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    Options
    In answer to your question I don't know! But I have a treat every day because my calories allow it or if they don't then I earn it by exercising. I put all my meals in at the beginning of the day and then work out what i can use my left over cals on after a month of doing this I looked at my snack box and it was full of junk now I only have one treat snack a day. but then I went to pizza hut today for tea my once a week take away I was still under my cals and I don't feel like I'm cheating cos for the first time in my life I don't feel like I'm on a diet and for the first time in my life I'm losing the weight. I think thats because I allow myself the treat every day so I don't crave it and over eat later x
  • Becky011
    Becky011 Posts: 384
    Options
    Hey guys :)
    I've been wondering about this lately as once again I evaluate the Quality of the food I'm eating. I've been really struggling to lose and I figured this might be part of it. This article focuses on sugar but I think that it Does matter What we are eating. not to say we can't ever have things we like :) but it should be small portions, in moderation, if we want to have an overall healthy diet. I've had days where I burned a ton so I ate anything I wanted and ya...didn't work out well...I gained. Once in a while I'm sure thats fine but hasn't faired well for me.

Check it out:
    http://health.yahoo.net/experts/joybauernutrition/sugar-how-much-should-we-eat/

Best of luck!! :)
  • MMarcordes
    MMarcordes Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It's always better to make 'healthy' choices and eat the right foods. Higher protein, high fiber makes you feel fuller longer - blah blah blah... Having said that - I say, if you never eat the foods you want, you'll never stick with a healthy eating pattern. As long as you're staying within your calories each day - go for it!

FYI - I changed my 'start weight' to reflect what I was at the beginning of 2011 - but I actually lost 55 pounds in 2010 - and yes, I ate every one of my calories :)
  • jennifir
    jennifir Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Your net cals a day should be at least 1200

should be no less than 1200? I'm still not understanding the net calories thing.
  • Hillary1234
    Options
    losing weight and being healthy is a life style change......of course it matters what you eat, you have to know that...dont you? you cant eat cookies, pies and pizza and expect to lose weight and even if you are under your calorie goal it isnt healthy at all, you can still end up getting diabetes or high cholesteral and many other things. I dont mean to say a treat every now and than is bad because its not but you cant eat junk all the time and expect to be healthy. To anyone that takes this the wrong way, dont im just being honest, anyone that asks a question like this is looking for a short cut and there are no short cuts. tough love, tough love :) good luck!!!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    Yes one calorie equals one calorie BUT calories are made up of different amounts of carbs, fat, and protein. When you are first starting, it is best to focus on the overall calorie number so that it is as close as possible to your net calories (food- exercise= net). But as you demand more from your body (getting to a lower weight or training for events or wanting to lose that last bit of belly fat) you will want to make sure that you are balancing your carbs, fats, and protein amounts appropriately (I use 50 % carbs, 35% protein, and 15% fat) as well as keeping sodium in check all while staying at your net calories.

For example, at a super bowl party I ate 340 calories of vodka and peanut butter M&M's.
    For breakfast the next morning, I had an English muffin, cream cheese, protein shake, and a banana for 340 calories.
    Which is "better"? Which kept me full longer? And no, I did not go over on calories either day.

Good luck!
  • in_it_2_win_it
    Options
    I guess what your saying is the same question I always ask.. I am a big treats eater and I tend to think I need to work out more just to have a treat.. And I guess it's ok to have something sweet once and a while.. right?
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    It definitely matters what you eat depending on your goals. If you want just to diet and drop pounds, it probably doesn't matter. The problem is that as soon as you go back to your normal eating patterns you will gain it all back. If you want to lose weight, develop a lifestyle that is healthy to help you keep it off you need to develop healthy eating habits. Comes down to ehat your goal is.

This doesn't mean you have to eat perfect all the tme for the rest of your life... but sugary snacks, fast food become an occassional treat instead of the norm. I had Little Debbie cakes yesterday because I wanted something sweet and different and ihad done really well over a difficult weekend. But I built them into my calorie count and probably won't have them again for a month.

Good luck.
  • Staceyj85
    Options
    I think thats why i feel like im cheatin coz i dont feel like im on a diet, i eat lots of pasta, rice fruit veg ect an i class a treat as a ww puddin or a low fat choc bar so im still eatin a treat but not a full fat one, ive not been havin 1200 calories everyday o mabe im not doin it properly x
  • Staceyj85
    Options
    Also i lost 6 stone on ww and slimming world so tend not to binge anyway i always go for healther options of everythin an make things from scratch not jars but got pcos which make u gain weight regardless of what you eat its anoyin, thanks for responses tho xxx
  • terim3006
    terim3006 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sweets are my downfall. But I also need that little treat once a day or so. However, the longer I do this and the more conscious I become of what I put in my mouth, I have found that once I eat something sweet then I am yo-yo-ing all day long. If instead, I will eat a piece of cheese or meat, it stabilizes me. As the Bible teaches, "moderation."
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, ate 70% junk food for 10 weeks, and was able to lose 27 lbs by counting calories.

Here's some excerpts from the article:

"His premise: That in weight loss, pure calorie counting is what matters most -- not the nutritional value of the food."

"The premise held up: On his "convenience store diet," he shed 27 pounds in two months. "

"But you might expect other indicators of health would have suffered. Not so.

Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent."

"Haub's body fat dropped from 33.4 to 24.9 percent."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Now that is in the extreme, and is not a recommended diet. But it does illustrate that if you are within your calorie goal, it is ok to have 'less-healthy' foods sometimes.
  • mbritb
    Options
    I read this article about how this guy ate nothing but Twinkies and lost a TON of weight.

I won't go into detail about it - but the general gist of the article was that QUANTITY is the real kicker...you can eat fruit and veggies all day long til you feel like you're about to POP - and you won't lost much weight. however, he ate just to the point of satisfied...not FULL, but no longer hungry, so therefore he would eat little bits here and there to keep his tummy "happy". NOW, for long term health it's better to focus on the QUALITY of food as well. ALSO, snacking helps boost your metabolism.

so eat a small breakfast, then in about an hour and half later - eat a small snack. a little bit later eat another small snack. then have a small but filling lunch - something with substance. then later have a couple of small snacks then eat another small but filling dinner. Drink lots of water of course.

what this will do is shrink your stomach - then after a while - eating something small will actually make you feel Full! =) Then by eating smaller amounts of food - you're not putting a lot of food onto your body - so your body will actually start burning MORE of what is already on your body, and snacking like that boosts your metabolism so you'll burn fat even when you're not exercising.

Try to keep your calories down - that is important. but if you go over by a few that's okay - just try to do some exercise to counter act those. I'm also all for building and toning a little bit of muscle - muscle burns fats - so if you'll build up some muscle, then you'll burn even more!

so there are a lot of factors that go into losing weight. In my opinion the most important one is the quantity - get your stomach smaller by snacking. then change the food you're eating so that you're making more long term healthy choices such as high protein and fiber foods. Kashi cereals are very yummy!! also snack on fruits and vegetables. also drink water - in order to digest water you're body has to heat that water up to your body's temperature - so if you drink ice water - you're body has to burn calories to heat that water up. now of course you can keep up with all these calories you're burning and eating...but do your best to track the ones that are coming in, track the ones you are losing while exercising.

also calculate your BMR ( http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator ) << this is how many calories your body burns just to stay alive...so if you eat less than that amount - then that means your body will burn already existing fat to make up for the calories you didn't eat.

I know this is a lot of information - hopefully it's not overwhelming - if you have any questions - just message me! I'll answer to the best of my knowledge!! =)
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Looking at your start date (and assuming it is correct!), it appears that you just started your journey. Start with baby steps. Start with staying under your calories. Once you are able to do that consistently, then you need to start evaluating WHAT you are eating. I discovered that I was eating WAY more sodium than recommended, so I started with that. I still struggle with it. My husband focussed on sugar. In the past I tried to go full tilt at the very beginning and I always got sick of the "diet" within just a few weeks. I've been at this lifestyle change for over a year and a half. Not sick of it so far!

Small steps. Don't try to change everything at once! Yes what you spend your calories on matters, but focus on one thing at a time and starting off that should be staying under your calories.

Keep up the good work! HTH!
  • alyssa83202
    Options
    Mark Haub, a professor of human nutrition at Kansas State University, ate 70% junk food for 10 weeks, and was able to lose 27 lbs by counting calories.

Here's some excerpts from the article:

"His premise: That in weight loss, pure calorie counting is what matters most -- not the nutritional value of the food."

"The premise held up: On his "convenience store diet," he shed 27 pounds in two months. "

"But you might expect other indicators of health would have suffered. Not so.

Haub's "bad" cholesterol, or LDL, dropped 20 percent and his "good" cholesterol, or HDL, increased by 20 percent. He reduced the level of triglycerides, which are a form of fat, by 39 percent."

"Haub's body fat dropped from 33.4 to 24.9 percent."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Now that is in the extreme, and is not a recommended diet. But it does illustrate that if you are within your calorie goal, it is ok to have 'less-healthy' foods sometimes.
    I read that too, it was really interesting!