Your Advice? :)

Options
Right so i usually work out for about an hour, or longer if i feel like it, if im really in the mood i go for 2 hours sometimes maybe 3 but say if i exercise and then just sit down for the rest of my day, does this just render my exercise complete waste of time? because im not active anymore??

i've been confused about this for a while....

Replies

• superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    No way! Exercise boosts your metabolism.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    no, any movement is good movement...3 hours is astonishing! I'd be laying on the floor for the rest of the 21 hours lol
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    no way! your doing great! just as long as your not sitting on your butt eating like 50 twinkies after your work out ; )
  • AliciaJade93
    AliciaJade93 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    i space it out (usually) :D but in between i just sit around :P so i feel like im just a coach potato!
  • AliciaJade93
    AliciaJade93 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    woops couch**

and thanks everyone :)
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I think you're fine. I exercise 2-3 hours every day. Most days I will go home do some things around the house but by 5:00 pm I am usually parked for the night in front of the tv or computer. I have lost a lot and consistently, as well as being really toned.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    It's not realistic to think that you'll be active ALL day. Most people have periods of inactivity, periods of moderate activity and periods of vigorous activity throughout the day. Some people get moderate/vigorous activity as part of their jobs, but other people who spend a lot of the day sitting/standing and not burning a ton of calories. That's just how it goes. As long as you're not eating as if you were super active all day, there's nothing wrong with having periods of inactivity throughout your day. I sit on my butt for most of my day (I have a desk job) but as a result I have marked my normal activity as sedentary and MFP adjusts their recommendation appropriately.
  • jobiggs05
    Options
    1 hour a day is brilliant let alone 3. I try and do 50 mins a day at least 4 days a week. x x
  • jennylynn84
    Options
    Hm. There are some studies that show that people who go to the gym and work out a lot offset that by being sort of... "super sedentary" in their spare time. So you want to make sure you don't fall into that group. Those are the people who will be completely glued to the sofa on Saturday because they're planning on working out on Sunday. Make sense?

But it doesn't sound like that's what you mean here.

Kind of sounds like you hit the gym like a tornado and work your butt off and then end in a "oh S**T I am TIRED!" kind of way for a few hours. I would pretty much expect that from most people. Especially if you put in a Loooooong workout. Its recovery time - you don't want to push yourself too far and hurt yourself or get sick.