A Large Amount of Calories Left After Exercise.

msartishia
msartishia Posts: 123 Member
edited September 23 in Fitness and Exercise
So, I normally go to the gym in the evening (at least 4/5 days a week), and my goal is to burn at least 1000 calories a workout and sometimes I burn more as some of you can see if you look at my profile. My question or concern is after I add the exercise calories back, sometimes I dont even eat 1200 calories and that includes dinner with 4 meals prior to that. Is this bad? Am I doing to much in the gym? Should I increase the amount I eat during the day so that I dont have soooo many calories left at the end of the day? My daily goal of calories is 1640 before exercise. Suggestions, help me please because sometimes I feel like maybe I am exercising to much and not eating enough.

Replies

• Samana06
    Samana06 Posts: 107
    as long as you NET at least 1200 calories minimum! I would recommend eating more during the day ... there are alot of healthy calorie dense foods ... nuts, peanut butter .... those are my favorites :) Good luck!
  • harleyquinn1504
    harleyquinn1504 Posts: 45 Member
    If I know Im going to be working out a lot in the evening, I may have a carb heavy meal, bc its higher in calories, earlier in the day. After the work out, I drink chocolate milk, bc its an easy snack and filling.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Burning 1000 calories is a lot. After a while it starts to stress your body in ways that aren't good. You really shouldn't burn more than 500-700 calories per workout.

If you workout in the evenings and you know how many calories you burn on average work those calories into your earlier meals. Have a bigger breakfast and lunch, have a couple snacks, etc.
  • Go with how you feel. Can you keep up that much exercise on the long-term, or does it make you feel exhausted and depleted? Are you hungry afterward or during the day? If you're trying to lose weight, this sounds great, you just need to make sure you eat healthy things (include protein and complex carbs) and make sure you don't burn out fast.
  • Samana06
    Samana06 Posts: 107
    I looked through your diary ... and as long as you aren't hurting yourself with the work outs and aren't STARVING ... you look to be right on track ... I am in no way a professional tho
  • msartishia
    @ Samana06....what are other alternatives. I am not a big fan of peanut butter and nuts (that includes trail mix).

@ harleyquinn1504.....I was shooting for like 500 calories per large meal so breakfast lunch and dinner with two small snacks and it seems as though that isnt enough. :sad:
  • msartishia
    Go with how you feel. Can you keep up that much exercise on the long-term, or does it make you feel exhausted and depleted? Are you hungry afterward or during the day? If you're trying to lose weight, this sounds great, you just need to make sure you eat healthy things (include protein and complex carbs) and make sure you don't burn out fast.

I have been good after my exercise. I feel good...I am not exhausted or anything. The only time if I am hungry is if I eat a early lunch compared to eating around 2 or 3. I am a late bloomer so I dont wake until 8 and I have my frist meal by 9 or 930. Maybe I will add in more protein to my diet.
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Well done on all your hard work so far. :drinker:

I sometimes have the same trouble especially when I do more than one class at the gym in an evening. You may want to look at making your workouts more effective. My personal trainer taught me not to focus so much on how many calories I burn during a session at the gym. Instead the focus should be on selecting workouts which raise your RMR (how many calories your body burns when you're not working out). To do this you need a combination of HIIT (high intensity interval training and lots of resistance training e.g weights. These types of exercise raise your RMR for up to 24hrs after your work out - pretty impressive.

It's taken me a while to trust that doing 'less' can get more results. Really, it isn't doing less (because HIIT is damn hard!!!) but working more effectively.

I'm not an expert but this really has worked for me

Feel free to message me if you'd like more info - I'd be happy to break it down for you or give you links so you can read more about my suggestions

God bless:smile:
  • msartishia
    Burning 1000 calories is a lot. After a while it starts to stress your body in ways that aren't good. You really shouldn't burn more than 500-700 calories per workout.

If you workout in the evenings and you know how many calories you burn on average work those calories into your earlier meals. Have a bigger breakfast and lunch, have a couple snacks, etc.

I can do the treadmill for 30 minutes and I can easily burn 600 calories so that means that I will only do cardio and no weight or circuit training???? I have been doing this for a couple of months and I feel okay thus far.
  • bump have some greek yogurt before your workout, or a protien drink, that will help with calories!! and the protien !!!!you need protien for your body sense you are burning o much!!
  • Fernandomike
    Fernandomike Posts: 95 Member
    That is a whole lot of calories. I'd be concerned about burnout or injury. But uh, if you are experiencing neither in the slightest bit. . .well, you go. . .
  • harleyquinn1504
    harleyquinn1504 Posts: 45 Member
    Maybe just change up your snack. Peanut butter is pretty high cal, put some of that on a couple crackers and you'll be surprised how fast your calories disappear.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member

I can do the treadmill for 30 minutes and I can easily burn 600 calories so that means that I will only do cardio and no weight or circuit training???? I have been doing this for a couple of months and I feel okay thus far.

you are overestimating calorie burn. a half hour of treadmill is not 600 calories, unless you are REALLY working HARD, like sprinting.

so that's OK, to work out that much, but don't eat back that many calories. A half hour on the treadmill is probably closer to 200-300.

a half hour of cardio, plus some weight or circuit training, will be absolutely fine. If you want to eat back your earned calories, though, you should get a heart rate monitor so you know what you're truly burning.
  • Take a peak at your full food report every day to keep better track of all your intake calories. Your sodium is over your goal almost every day. Try to make all of your food fresh and less pre packaged stuff. If you look under your goals it will tell your what your net should be. That is what you need to strive for. Make sure to give your body rest time every few days, Check out MyPyramid.gov for good ideas on how to swap your foods out. Eat lost of veggies and drink lots of water.

If you have insurance you can go in for a physical. Ask for a referral to a health educator or a dietitian to set some goals based on your needs. I just did that and got put on a low card & low sodium. I was way off on my portion size and what is good calories. Do lots of reading and educate yourself. Its all trail and error. Keep up the good work.
  • doutri2
    doutri2 Posts: 186 Member

you are overestimating calorie burn. a half hour of treadmill is not 600 calories, unless you are REALLY working HARD, like sprinting.

so that's OK, to work out that much, but don't eat back that many calories. A half hour on the treadmill is probably closer to 200-300.

a half hour of cardio, plus some weight or circuit training, will be absolutely fine. If you want to eat back your earned calories, though, you should get a heart rate monitor so you know what you're truly burning.

Do you wear a heartrate monitor?
    Last week I was in the gym with a friend of mine who wears a heart rate monitor which more accurately calculates how many calories you are burning per workout based on your heartrate. He said that when he finishes his hour long workout, the number on his heartrate monitor is half of what the machine says.

I'm not saying this to disappoint you, but realize that there is some discrepancy in what calorie estimate the machine produces for you.
  • Dautly
    Dautly Posts: 2 Member
    Everyone should keep in mind that your basal metabolic rate (caloric burn) is determined in part by body size and composition. For example, I (120 lbs) can run for 30 minutes at a comfortable pace and burn approximately 280 calories. My significant other (185 lbs), however, can run at a comfortable pace for 30 minutes and burn approximately 420 calories.

By your comments, it seems that you are more than comfortable with your exercise regimen and therefore, burning 1000 calories should not be alarming (assuming you remain injury free and there are no cardiovascular concerns). As previously suggested, try increasing your caloric intake during the day before your workout. Perhaps add a third snack. Healthy high calorie snacks include raisins, fruit juice, whole grains, beans, potatoes, olive oil, avocado, eggs, etc. A simple Google search should help you find a list of alternatives suitable for your palate.

Best of luck!
  • msartishia

I have a HRM and it also counts my calories. As much as I paid for it, it better not be incorrect. Normally there is a 50 calorie difference between whats on treadmill and my watch. I do running and I do hills on the treadmill so it can be possible to burn that many calories???
  • msartishia

Do you wear a heartrate monitor?
    Last week I was in the gym with a friend of mine who wears a heart rate monitor which more accurately calculates how many calories you are burning per workout based on your heartrate. He said that when he finishes his hour long workout, the number on his heartrate monitor is half of what the machine says.

I'm not saying this to disappoint you, but realize that there is some discrepancy in what calorie estimate the machine produces for you.

Yes I bought it when I actuall got really serious and I didnt like the numbers that MFP was entering so I went and bought one. So I am going off what the watch is telling me. I even stop it when I take breaks so it is not continously running.
  • msartishia
    Everyone should keep in mind that your basal metabolic rate (caloric burn) is determined in part by body size and composition. For example, I (120 lbs) can run for 30 minutes at a comfortable pace and burn approximately 280 calories. My significant other (185 lbs), however, can run at a comfortable pace for 30 minutes and burn approximately 420 calories.

By your comments, it seems that you are more than comfortable with your exercise regimen and therefore, burning 1000 calories should not be alarming (assuming you remain injury free and there are no cardiovascular concerns). As previously suggested, try increasing your caloric intake during the day before your workout. Perhaps add a third snack. Healthy high calorie snacks include raisins, fruit juice, whole grains, beans, potatoes, olive oil, avocado, eggs, etc. A simple Google search should help you find a list of alternatives suitable for your palate.

Best of luck!

I have heard that the smaller a person is, the harder it is to burn calories. I am 238/240 depending on the scale and when I get on it. So I am on the heavier side and I heard that it will be easier for me to burn calories the bigger I am then as I get smaller, it will be harder.

I will try to increase my caloric intake prior to be going to the gym, especially since I go so late.

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.