Need Inspiration - Food allergies

Options
Just joined today. I need to complain a little. Having a really tough time with weight loss because I'm on a very restricted diet for a chronic medical condition and am also gluten-intolerant.

So I can't eat a lot of the things that are low cal like tomatoes, most fruits, some veggies. And also can't eat oatmeal, almonds, most cheeses, vinegar, catsup, coffee, tea, herb tea, carbonated drinks, lemonade, fruit juice, cocoa, alcohol, and lots of other things.

I would love to eat strawberries, cherries, plums, peaches, watermelon or to have a cup of English Breakfast tea or some sharp cheddar or asiago cheese.

Anything with gluten in it is also out- soy sauce, wheat, barley, rye and a lot of prepared foods, canned soups with food starch or wheat flour. So it's pretty basic, bland and low acid/low oxalate.

I go along pretty well at first in weight loss efforts for 6-8 pounds and then get tired of having the weight loss restrictions on top of everything else. If I cheat on my medical diet, I am in pain, so it's kind of self-correcting. Cheating on my weight loss diet just makes me fat.

How do you stay motivated on a restricted diet? What inspires you? I'm not feeling like this is possible right now. I'd love to hear what keeps others motivated. And especially would love to hear from others with food allergies.
Nancy

Replies

• ohiogirl30
    ohiogirl30 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Elisabeth Hasselbeck has the best book called "The G-Free Diet: A Gluten Survival Guide". I hear its an awesome book with some great tips and motivation!
  • jenniferherrin
    Options
    I understand the problem. I am hypoglysemic and I have to eat every few hours. It's hard to loose weight when you're always eating. Especially when it needs to be sugar. But being at a better weight and being healthier is better for your body. Even with the complications it has.
  • sharesb
    sharesb Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I struggle with similar issues, I have a gluten allergy and I am allergic to a lot of things. Top that off with the fact I am a picky eater! Sent you a friend request, perhaps we can support each other through this!!
    ~ share