first thing in morning gym or eating

Options
Need some advice.. Im working out at 4:30 in the morning should i be eating something before staring a workout or after. I do want to have sucess on losing weight but i also dont want eat to much.

Any tip will do.

Replies

• naniu
    naniu Posts: 17
    Options
    Need some advice.. Im working out at 4:30 in the morning should i be eating something before staring a workout or after. I do want to have sucess on losing weight but i also dont want eat to much.

Any tip will do.
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym Mon. Wed. Fri. really early and i never eat before going, but on the other days i workout i do have a small breakfast, I am loving pb and banana on wheat bread!! Sounds sick to some but i love it:heart: !! I think it all balances.
    I have heard you burn more fat by not eating before working out, but i have also heard you should eat for the energy to have a better workout....so i am not sure which to think. I do know on the days i eat i try to push myself harder.....hope this helps!
  • mlillie
    mlillie Posts: 302
    Options
    I wake up a very early as well and have a little carb and protein - and then have some immediately after. It is after that is the most important because your body needs protein to rebuild the muscle!

I do it so I have more energy to push myself and I dont get dizzy anymore. But it is up to you. If you are fine and can push with no need for a meal then that works. Just fuel yourself afterwords!
  • Reesy
    Reesy Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, the age old question. I find it really depends on how you feel. If you are working out and feeling like you are running low on energy, then you need to eat a small meal (oatmeal, banana) and then wait and hour to allow for digestion, BUT, if you find you are eating and feeling sick while doing the workout, it's probably better to not each.

I fall in the latter category.
  • MFS27
    MFS27 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I've been working out 5:30-6:30 AM for the past 2-3 years, religiously. At first I did not eat at all - no water, no food before. I would bring a water bottle for during workout, and then eat breakfast an hour later (when I got to work).

Then I started tweaking my schedule since it wasn't working for me and I wanted to maximize my workout and nutritional intake. I started off by introducing fruit juice in the morning, then breakfast an hour later. That was okay, but not optimal. Now I wake up at 4:15, eat half my breakfast (half whole wheat pita with PB and half banana with my coffee - carb and protein) before workout, and right after I'm done with my workout I have my post-workout recovery snack - one stick of string cheese (protein). Then when I get to work (hour later) I eat the 2nd half of my breakfast.

The reason I changed my eating habits was not because I was dizzy, but I did not feel as strong all the time when I did not eat before exercising (hit the wall a lot sooner than I should have). Also I read that if you do not give your body SOME carbs/protein before working out (especially after your body has been fasting all night) you will break down some muscle mass for energy (the body wants to save fat for a last resort energy need and will not burn fat first if it thinks it is in starvation mode.)

So this is what has been working for me - everyone is different - so play around with it and see what works for you!
  • naniu
    naniu Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks,

I will try that.

Since i want to continue working out in the morning. I wil start boosting my energy with (Protein and Carb)
  • shahrazad990
    Options
    i've heard that if you don't eat within an hour of waking up, your metabolism is slower for the rest of the day.