Arm workouts for girls

Options
Right now I'm currently hideously unfit but when I get lighter/fitter I want to end up with arms like Rutina Wesley. If you don't know who she is she plays Tara Thornton in True Blood.
tara1.jpg

So, could anyone point a complete novice to some exercises that I can do that will start to point me in the right directions for building that kind of muscle?
Push-ups obviously but I'm completely clueless as to what else.

Replies

• outersoul
    Options
    Pushups work the triceps and chest. You can't go wrong with dumbbell curls for the biceps.
  • reesepieces
    reesepieces Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    She does have some HOT arms! I'll take two of those!
  • jcat83
    jcat83 Posts: 10
    Options
    Get some 10lbs weights and walk with them or run with them in your hands.

If you have an Android phone, download the app "Arm Workout" It has some good ones!

Good luck!
  • StacLegg
    StacLegg Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    can I put in an order for her arms, shoulders, collar bones and boobs?? =) If pushups will do this, I'm going home to do me some pushups!!!! :bigsmile:
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Bench press, shoulder press, seated row, lat pull down, tricep pull down, bicep curls.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,430 Member
    Options
    Get some 10lbs weights and walk with them or run with them in your hands.

If you have an Android phone, download the app "Arm Workout" It has some good ones!

Good luck!

Actually, Dr. Oz (not that he is the be all on everything!) says this can be really bad for your shoulders! You are better off doing the weights separately because it can cause your arms to swing in an unnatural pattern and hurt you. I will checkout the arm workout's on my phone though, thanks for that tip.
  • brancakes
    brancakes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    try jillians 30 day shred. you'll tone your arms and become more fit all around! my arms are transforming fast and I do her 30 day shred and tae-bo the most
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    I honestly feel that there is NOT MUCH difference between female and male strengtgh training... especially in the arms. Mix it up. Lighter resps to failure and heck get in some heavy too! It all benefits! There are days where I do more ellaborate workouts than the guy next to me! haha
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Yep, start with 30 Day Shred or Chalean Extreme...if you're serious about it.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I am currently following the program from "The New Rules of Lifting for Women" and it is a great, easy to follow program, the book was only $16. Don't be afraid to lift heavy especiallly if those are the arms you want! Push-ups, over-head presses, chest presses basically anything that mimics everyday natural movements. The book also states that it isn't such a good thing to isolate muscles such as bicep curls, tricep dips because you then train them to be unproportionate making a bigger risk for injury. When yo u do things such as the push ups, chest presses, shoulder/over head presses you are using all muscles at the same time keeping them proportionate. It really is a great book! Just my two cents...Good Luck!!
  • cathyalmand
    Options
    just make sure u do 4 exercises for each body part so do 4 different exercises for ur biceps, triceps and shoulders.

this is an awesome arm workout....i love the cable so it uses it alot but u could do it with free weights
    21's take weight lift from bottom to mid stomach 7 times
    then from mid stomach to upper arms 7 times....then from bottom to top 7 times..full range of motion

hammer curls
    high pulley cable curls / with both sides of cable...set up like u were going to do chest flies
    low pulley cable curls
    seated bicep curls

triceps
    skull crushers
    dips
    tricep extensions

shoulders
    lateral raises
    bent over side lateral raise
    shoulder press

hope that helps some!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options

Good luck!

I'll have a look and see if there's an iphone app called that. Thanks.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    Options
    Yep, start with 30 Day Shred or Chalean Extreme...if you're serious about it.

Think I might just have to buy the 30 day shred. I keep hearing so much about it.
    Thanks
  • thankyou4thevenom
    Options
    Thank you everyone that's replied so far!!