Eatting late at night - do you do this? Have U kicked the ha

Options
Hi,

Sometimes I just can't go to sleep unless I eat something. It's just crazy! I will literally toss and turn for an hour or more and finally, because i really want to sleep, I'll eat some protien (I heard if you're doing late night eating it's much better to eat protien than carbs) and it may not be a lot, but then I sleep like a baby.

Now I was doing this even before I started dieting, when I was consuming way more calories than I should have, so I don't think it's becasue I'm not getting enough calories during the day.

So, here's my strategy: I'm thinking I'll save myself 200 calories to eat late at night if I must, like 10 almonds and cottage cheese, if I just can't sleep and feel like eating. I'm hoping that even though I'm sleeping on those calories, that beause I'm not going OVER, that I'll be okay.

Does anyone else have any experience with this?

Thanks for reading!

Liz

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I stopped fighting it. Rather than save calories "in case" I might want them, I just know I will and plan that snack. Mine is lowfat cottage cheese, too. Or a glass of milk and almonds.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I typically have a glass of chocolate milk at bedtime.
  • Naomi91
    Naomi91 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I eat before I go to bed so that I do not enter a catabolic state while sleeping and break down muscle. Usually it is only just a little bit though,like 100-150 calories

Dont buy into the myth "anything after 8 will turn to fat"

you burn calories while you sleep too! you body just doesnt stop functioning xD

and yes I always go with protien since i dont like a bloated belly when i wake up...
  • ctheslayer
    Options
    I always eat late at night.

I workout at around 930~10pm so I've starving after a rigorous workout.

I do what cmriverside does. I plan for the snacks beforehand. For tonight, I will have 4 oz. of nonfat plain greek yogurt mixed with trail mix. Last night, I had yogurt, 1 sheet of graham crackers and 2 squares of Lindt chocolate.

No, it's not affecting my weight loss. :)
  • mmanderr18
    mmanderr18 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    That always happens to me! Right at 9pm it kicks in and I just want to eat whether I feel hungry or not-- Its terrible! I'll try some of these healthy foods you all suggested
  • Manda1987
    Options
    I have to eat something late at night. I take a medication that needs to be accompanied by food, and it has to be taken shortly before I go to bed or else I'll pass out where I'm standing.

I find it's not a bad thing... I plan it in, and I feel better going to bed with a little something in my tummy.
  • krista_204
    Options
    Hey, I've been really bad in the past with eating late at night. For me I work at a bar so I don't get home till late so that makes it hard. So what I've been doing, since I've started watching my calorie intake, is save myself some calories so I can have a snack. It's only been about a week but it's been working good. I'm not sure about the "sleeping" on my calories thing. But I just try to have something healthy.
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    more towards the end of the night i eat popcicles theyre more sugar water than anything and at 20 calories a pop cant beat it :)
  • becky4bears
    Options
    Ugh...night time is my nemesis!!!
    If I could eat the way I do all day, I would be skinny as a rail LOL....but like clockwork..around 7 or so, I want to EAT!!
    I usually opt for an apple with a little peanut butter. If I'm going to lose control and pig out, it's going to be in the evening. Sometimes I just totally lose control and eat everything I can get my hands on LOL (well, not that bad, but it feels like it)!!
    My new goal is not to eliminate food in the evening, but to make better choices when I feel the need to eat. You are not alone..hope that fact at least makes you feel better :)
  • MonsteRawr
    MonsteRawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I, too, plan to leave myself some calories for late at night.

My favorite nighttime treat is something I call my Bedtime Drink. It's warm milk with vanilla and a hint of honey. Not only does it keep away the late night munchies, but it's so warming and soothing! I swear, it knocks me out almost instantly!
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I worked over night in the medical field and I ate my meals 7pm 2pm 7am. It has been very very hard for me to give up late night snacks; even after being away from it for many years. I think the best approach is count that meal in your daily allowance. There have been many reports that conflict eatting late at night so....As long as you count it; enjoy your meal.
  • AutimnRose
    Options
    I dont have this problem but my husband does. And he has already mentioned trying this site out if it works well for me. So I will try to remember some of the food suggestions mentioned here to help him out. Thanks!
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    I eat nothing through the day hardly and eat masses at night, I know its not god, its just how I work :(
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I hold back 100-200 cals for a night time snack. I don't usually go to bed until 2-3 in the morning, so I get hungry around 11-12. Usually it is a yogurt and berries, apple and cheese, or a skinny cow ice cream bar. If I don't eat something before I go to bed I will wake up after 3-4 hours and be starving. Eatting while half asleep just doesn't end well :frown:
  • outersoul
    Options
    I eat before I go to bed so that I do not enter a catabolic state while sleeping and break down muscle. Usually it is only just a little bit though,like 100-150 calories

Dont buy into the myth "anything after 8 will turn to fat"

you burn calories while you sleep too! you body just doesnt stop functioning xD

and yes I always go with protien since i dont like a bloated belly when i wake up...

This ^^. I do the same thing. I workout late and have a protein shake at night before bed.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    I hold back 100-200 cals for a night time snack. I don't usually go to bed until 2-3 in the morning, so I get hungry around 11-12. Usually it is a yogurt and berries, apple and cheese, or a skinny cow ice cream bar. If I don't eat something before I go to bed I will wake up after 3-4 hours and be starving. Eatting while half asleep just doesn't end well :frown:

:laugh: :wink:
  • finklestein09
    Options
    Oh I do the same thing, and the more I think about how I shouldn't be eating, the more I do!! Gonna go look for advice on here...

2823258.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jeantyluv
    Options
    Are you suppose to shut off eating two hours or three hours before bed? I currently stop eating at 10pm because I usually sleep at 12am.
    4245696.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Briacha
    Briacha Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    YES! Finally someone with the same issue as me. LOL

I am a night owl, def not a morning person. I eat breakfast because they say you have to jumpstart your body...I get tons of energy from 3pm on and I also work out after work around 9pm. When I am done, I am starving!!!
  • tkphotogirl
    tkphotogirl Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Often I don't get the time to start exercising until 9.30 pr 10pm - I am *always* hungry afterwards so make sure I have enough calories left for a snack, even if it's just a teaspoon of peanut butter, though my usual 'go to' is greek yoghurt with honey.