P90X: Yes or No?

Options
I have been considering whether I should buy P90X or not.
I read some reviews on amazon.com and they say that it works great but that it is really challenging.
I am 20 years old, 5'6", and 220 pounds.
For those of you that have used it, are any of you as heavy as me? And how are your results?

Replies

• ashleynicoleb
    ashleynicoleb Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I've seen amazing results with P90X and am going to give it a try!
  • Natalie2616
    Options
    I have tried just about everything under the sun when it comes to exercise! I had a friend who let me borrow P90X and I was not at all enthused by it. If you are new to exercise it may scare you to keep up with it. I would start with interval training combined with cardio. Find something that you enjoy doing so that you will stick with it!
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Have you checked to see if your local public library might have it?

Mine did and I checked it out but I never even looked at a single DVD in the 3 weeks that I had it. So I figured it wasn't for me lol.
    It has some sort of initial test that you're supposed to be able to do first.
  • KokomoJoe
    Options
    It is hard. I have it and was going to start Feb 1. I have now put that off until March 1 so I can get in better shape. BTW even tho I'm a male I am currently over 260. I am hoping I'm almost 250 by the time I start it.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES!!! I was almost 200 lbs when I started P90X and lost 13 lbs in the first 4 weeks! I'm no longer following the 6x a week P90X plan because I am training for marathons, but I still do the routines on my 2x a week lifting days! Definitely work the money but be preprepared to WORK! (There are modifications until you are ready to increase the level)
  • Kayte625
    Options
    i started P90X in relatively bad shape, although i had been doing some light exercising (walking etc) and although it was challenging, i have loved it. i love the incredible results i have goten so far and you get so much with the program. it comes with a nutrition guide and the videos are actually fun.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I started P90X with my husband @ 246 pounds. There is a lean version within the program. There are many people doing either the lean or classic version. If you don't completely feel up to it there is also the Power 90 program by the same company. It is the precursor to P90X.

P90X Transformations:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/Sgorrie
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/june_warner
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tenaarnett
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/lewis2583
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/frankbo25
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/roylawrence87
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/karenborter
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/seachelle
  • samb
    samb Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    P90X can definitely yield fantastic results, but you need to follow the nutrition plan and the exercise plan. The problem with it for me is that many of the exercises you do are awkward...so I end up having less motivation to stick to it, plus its at home and I am easily distracted. However, it is definitely worth a try because it could change your life if you can stick with it! I would suggest looking on ebay and other sites, or download it (you can use vuze then download the video package for free) --- because it is costly, and you can definitley find it cheaper than on the beachbody website.
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Definitely yes.
  • anamercedez
    Options
    Works really good!!! Its very intense but its a good workout,im on day 5 and so far loving it!!!
  • loriefolk
    Options
    Because I am fairly new to a regular workout routine, I decided to go with the Power90 and expect great results :)
  • marinabrazil
    marinabrazil Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    There is NO SUCH THING as being too fat/out of shape/weak to start P90X. There are options and modified moves and weights for ANYBODY! So if people out there have it and haven't used it, its lack of will, not lack of anything else.

I am on my second round and love it! I know plenty of people who couldn't lift themselves off the floor when they started and went through it very successfully. P90X is like everything else in life: only worth it if you its hard to accomplish. But with hard work come amazing results!

I hope you do try it.
  • Oppie81
    Options
    I've only done a few discs on it and i love it!
  • asallen7
    asallen7 Posts: 301
    Options
    I did P90X Lean and I think it is a great program. If you are not committed to devoting an hour of your day, 6 days a week to working out I don't suggest it. Otherwise, I think it is great. I lost the 29 pounds you see doing P90X. I started out at about 280 pounds, so I am much heavier than you. Its all in your will and ability to modify to make it work for you.
  • boltzmeanbiznez
    Options
    Definitely buy it. Word of advice: you can pick it up unopened on Craigslist (San Diego's anyways) for half the price.
    Some people buy it and never even open it.
    Good luck with it.
  • rebrafe
    Options
    I did P90x (Lean version) and it is tough to start but if you do a little each day you will be amazed by how much easier it gets - literally week by week. At first - daunting BUT just do what you can. You will feel stronger the first week, stand taller and...be a little sore (mine sorest workout was after I did Legs for the first time). It is really really good though - you just need to stick with it. It can get monotonous and you need to commit yourself to 6 days per week. If you are ready - and you are real about getting into shape, then this is great. I needed a higher intensity workout for cardio, so I am at the gym now.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Do it! You can go at your own level. You can start off with half of each video too if you need to. It's a great program!
  • Frylok81
    Frylok81 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I will shortly answer your question but give a long follow up...YES you should do P90X...but make sure you do the fit test and don't cheat on it. Can you do 5 military push ups with out resting? Can you do pull ups? Contrary to what a lot of people are saying...if you have never worked out seriously then I would NOT start with this work out routine. Yes there are modified moves but if you are starting from scratch it will be difficult for you to make it through a dvd with out being unbearably sore for two weeks. P90X only works if you are able to keep up to a good degree with the trainers. Otherwise you are just "dogging it" as Tony Horton would say and that does not get results.

I have been doing P90X for 2 years (now doing P90X+ and Insanity) and when I 1st started I was in NO shape to do it..It was evident when I attempted the 1st DVD...I didn't make it half way through and I was so sore for a week I couldn't close my arms to wear a coat (yes I stretched before and after etc etc). It is just a lot of old fashioned hard work and most people simply do not have that level of physical fitness to get it done. And most who push themselves to a level they are not at end up quiting before the 1st phase is over because they are emotionally demoralized from never being able to keep up with Tony and the gang.

Now before you think I am trying to say you aren't ready....there IS Power 90...which is the beginner version of P90X (done by the same guy). I did that for 90 days before doing P90X and by the time I got to P90X I was able to tackle anything that was thrown at me and keep up (cept for one handed push ups haha those took a while). Keep in mind the most important things to think about when working out is staying in your target heart rate. For most people staying around 140bpm will give you a good workout and help burn calories. If you are in awesome shape then you need to do harder activity to keep yourself in the "zone".

Remember...working out is like anything else. Just because it is there doesn't mean it is for everyone. P90X is not a Richard Simon's Sweatin to the Oldies or Jane Fonda work out...this is a work out routine for those serious about physical fitness. It is what a lot of professional athletes use during their off season to keep in shape. But you should certainly give the fit test a shot and see how you do..if you do well then by all means "Get em up!" (as Tony Horton would say). All the best!
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    NEVER!!
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    NEVER!!

Aw yes, we can always depend on a thorough and intelligent answer from you.