40/40/20 Protein, Carbs, Fats: Is this a good ratio?

Options
Trying to find out if I can shoot for this ratio and still lose fat and have energy to run plus strength to lift.
Thanks for any help in advance.

Replies

• kadye
    kadye Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Generally, 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat is a good ratio.
  • StretchCR
    StretchCR Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes. Following those macros combined with intense HIIT gets me into the sub 5% bodyfat category in the summertime.
  • MeliciousMelis
    MeliciousMelis Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Mine is 45/35/20, I was doing a 40/40/20 split for the last 6 weeks, and in general had a real hard time meeting my protein goal. I figured I'd tweak it a little and see how I do.
  • ppiinnkkmmoonn
    Options
    everybody body is different and my ratio is different from this. sometimes you have to play with it to find yours.
  • exercisediva
    Options
    that is the ratio i try to follow - especially when lifting weights because of the Protein repairing your muscles. Try it for a few weeks then tweak when necessary!
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    It will, that was how I did P90X and lost 25 lbs.
  • sixpackgoal
    Options
    Thats what I am looking for. Any pics?
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Man, as a runner, I think that might be getting close to being low on the fat. 15% is the absolute floor for athletes and even athletes at 15% are warned performance will probably suffer. A trained athlete is going to burn more fat and quicker than untrained.
  • DaveGlasnost
    DaveGlasnost Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I am having "fun" trying to get enough protein. I'm doing a 30/50/20 at least for the next handful of weeks, then probably will move to something like a 40/40/20 and at some point maybe inching the fat % up. I'm not running or anything too endurance-y like that (yet). Tweaking a bit down on carbs to create a small deficit due to carrying a fair amount of flab, aiming pretty high on protein for weight training, and at the same time trying to get enough (good) fats to not risk health but keeping intake relatively low.
  • outersoul
    Options
    I use that exact ratio and have had good results so far. If I stay at 2lbs lost a week I'm going to stick with it.
  • soysos
    soysos Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    that ratio of protein to fat is going to be very difficult to maintain the usda recommendation is 53/18/29 carbs/protein/fat I wouldn't go that far off. if you want to go high protein low carb I would say 45/25/30 but that is just me, my ratios are set 60/15/25 I'm trying to get as much grain in my diet as I can.
  • DaveGlasnost
    Options
    The rate is very difficult to maintain, yes. Without eating tons of protein supplements I guess it would be tons of fish and meat. I am restraining myself from eating more than 1 or 2 bars and having more than 1 or 2 protein shakes, and it's really tough. I might as well say I have to do 2 of each minimum to even get close.

Anyway, I'm only trying for this ratio for the next few weeks, then I'll be levelling the playing field a bit.

Later hopefully something a lot closer to your ratio, but right now I have to go a bit lean on the carbs and fat a bit.

BTW I've temporarily given up on losing weight -- gonna worry about that later, now just trying to burn off some fat and get a little more muscle-y. Any weight loss will be a bonus.
  • sixpackgoal
    Options
    Yes it was tough to hit 203 grams of protein. Easy to hit 203 grams of carbs. Really had to watch to stay 100 grams of fat. First day of new ratios. Check out my diary for the details.
  • mandavann
    mandavann Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have mine set to 40/40/20 and have been doing very well!
  • sixpackgoal
    Options
    Yes. Following those macros combined with intense HIIT gets me into the sub 5% bodyfat category in the summertime.

That is an awesome low body fat percentage. I need to do more hiit this year. I just really like long outdoor runs in good weather. But I will mix it up this season. Post some pics to inspire us.
  • jen0619
    jen0619 Posts: 414
    Options
    Mine is 20/55/25 and I can easily manage 25/60/15. My body works better with higher carbs as a runner. RDA is 130g minimum for anyone for your body to function.
  • DaveGlasnost
    Options
    Hitting 350g protein (Using P90X suggestions for a big ole level III in phase I, like me) is proving almost impossible so far, what with schedule and inability to find time to prep some serious fish and meat action. I manage about 225-250g on a decent day, and that is with bars and shakes giving me a leg up.
  • kadye
    kadye Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you have to consider the source. I think that Beachbody recommending you to get that much protein while at the same time encouraging you to purchase their protein bars and shakes is a little too convenient for them. It is almost impossible to get that much protein in actual food.
  • sixpackgoal
    Options
    Man, as a runner, I think that might be getting close to being low on the fat. 15% is the absolute floor for athletes and even athletes at 15% are warned performance will probably suffer. A trained athlete is going to burn more fat and quicker than untrained.
    [/quote/]

Thanks for the insight. I just adjusted to 35% protein 40% carbs 25% fat. Trying to make sure to get mostly good fats from fish, limited nuts and natural peanut butter. Good call.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options

That is an awesome low body fat percentage. I need to do more hiit this year. I just really like long outdoor runs in good weather. But I will mix it up this season. Post some pics to inspire us.

Just know getting this low, and being healthy, is specific to the individual and often their genetics and heritage. I can get under 4% but I get sick as a dog in about two weeks.