moar calories!

Options
hi all-

i exercise a bunch and am trying out this "eat your calories" back thing since my weight loss has come to a standstill. my goal per day is 1500. i am burning about 600 - 1000 cals per day working out. so mfp tells me i should be eating around 2300. i can't seem to eat this many calories! i am doing three meals a day with a protein shake, and still averaging around 1500.

anyone have any recs for calorie-rich foods i can add in that are low in sugar and fat?

thanks!

Replies

• Phoenyxtears
    Options
    Bump! I'd like to know also
  • motherhippo
    motherhippo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    A handful of almonds or other nuts are a good choice.
  • Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    add me as a friend ancheck out my food diary for advice! I go over on cals sometimes...but nothing else!?!
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I would love to hear what other have to say about this OTHER than a handful of almonds (which is about 140 calories) or avocado.

I am a clean eater, (almonds are part of my everyday life) it is very hard for me to eat above 1500 calories a day. I will not eat processed food- therefore filling up on hot pockets, fish sticks or subway sandwiches aren't an option.
  • emchamberlain
    emchamberlain Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, almond butter, olive oil, granola, full-fat yogurt.
  • Amajoy
    Amajoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Out of curiousity.... Where are you getting your calories burned number? Thats alot of calories, which means you are doing roughly about 2 hours worth of straight cardio?

I just want to first make sure you should be eating that much, you dont want to eat more then you should be :)
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    This and the related articles contain pertinent information about calorie-dense foods.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/28482-list-calorie-dense-foods/
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    Without being able to see your diary, I would say you might try less carbs and more protein. Look at my diary and see how much I exercise and most days I eat all my exer cals. Also take note of what I eat. Suggested ratio is 1g of protein for every 20 cals in the meal. Protein keeps the insulin from spiking and crashing and the crash is when you feel hungry and usually for carbs.
  • rebrafe
    Options
    Well, I don't know really - but I have 3 protein shakes per day. It helps me to get in my calories and protein. I have a really tough time eating even 1200 calories, mostly because I am eating mostly veggies and protein. It was recommended by my Chiropractor.
  • rhonda1960
    rhonda1960 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The physician I work with said if you burn more calories than you take in you will lose weight so I don't understand the way this works. I'm the one always trying to find ways to cut calories. This could be the reason of my failures in the past. I appreciate your post.
  • Greg711
    Options
    are you a thin guy like me ? because I'll probably have to eat the same amount and I know it's a pain to eat that many HEALTHY calories . I was always under the assumption that what you couldn't eat in calories , you just fill the gap with protein shakes . Am I wrong ?
  • eponai
    eponai Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I would love to hear what other have to say about this OTHER than a handful of almonds (which is about 140 calories) or avocado.

I am a clean eater, (almonds are part of my everyday life) it is very hard for me to eat above 1500 calories a day. I will not eat processed food- therefore filling up on hot pockets, fish sticks or subway sandwiches aren't an option.

yes, hence my problem. i eat all organic meats, fruits, and vegetables and no processed anything. haha fish sticks made me laugh!
  • NanBar
    NanBar Posts: 283 Member
    Options

yes, hence my problem. i eat all organic meats, fruits, and vegetables and no processed anything. haha fish sticks made me laugh!

Yesssss.....maybe we can share some ideas.
  • eponai
    Options
    Out of curiousity.... Where are you getting your calories burned number? Thats alot of calories, which means you are doing roughly about 2 hours worth of straight cardio?

I just want to first make sure you should be eating that much, you dont want to eat more then you should be :)

hi amanda-

i am doing 90 minutes of bikram yoga (which is said to burn 1100 cals) 5 times per week.

http://www.hotyogadoctor.com/index.php/site/forum/viewthread/5/

i am also doing the workouts found on http://www.bodyrock.tv/ during my lunch breaks, which i calculate to be around 200 - 300 cals per workout.
  • eponai
    Options
    This and the related articles contain pertinent information about calorie-dense foods.

thanks! it looks like i need to eat more oatmeal, quinoa, beans, and fruit!
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    A whole grain tortilla and yogurt cheese would add 250 calories or more, and if you add some lean steak or chicken, even more calories with only moderate fat. I find that if I eat more grains, my calories sky-rocket. Put brown rice or quinoa in that tortilla and it will double. I love bread pudding and it can be converted to a "clean" recipe by changing out the type of bread, using egg whites, and using agave syrup instead of sugar. I would never have trouble adding calories to my diet, but I'm pretty stable with my intake and exercise, so I don't find I often need to eat more.
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    peanut butter and honey on whole wheat bread.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options

thanks! it looks like i need to eat more oatmeal, quinoa, beans, and fruit!

No problem. I turn to LiveStrong for many answers to questions and whatnot since that's my main calorie tracking site.
  • Amajoy
    Amajoy Posts: 140 Member
    Options

hi amanda-

i am doing 90 minutes of bikram yoga (which is said to burn 1100 cals) 5 times per week.

http://www.hotyogadoctor.com/index.php/site/forum/viewthread/5/

i am also doing the workouts found on http://www.bodyrock.tv/ during my lunch breaks, which i calculate to be around 200 - 300 cals per workout.

WOW!!! Thats crazy!!!! I need to find me a Yoga class ahahahaha!!!