What do you all know about the--

Options
"stress hormone?" I'm searching my memory banks and seem to remember "cortisol" or something, which is known as the stress hormone. My memory says it is released in larger doses during stress, and is responsible for "belly fat."

Before I embarked on this weight journey, my belly fat had simply gotten unbearable. Yes, I've had nine kids, ate too much and didn't exercise. But, our stress as a family has never been higher-- financial, and otherwise. I noticed my abdomen going positively out of control.

Now, dieting and exercising, it's getting better. But, there is still SUCH a pouch that it's almost abnormal (pardon the pun) and is simply not responding to the abdominal stuff I'm doing.

Stress is still way high, does anyone know of this hormone, and of any possible homeopathic things to try and combat it, in addition to diet and exercise?

Replies

• Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    "stress hormone?" I'm searching my memory banks and seem to remember "cortisol" or something, which is known as the stress hormone. My memory says it is released in larger doses during stress, and is responsible for "belly fat."

Before I embarked on this weight journey, my belly fat had simply gotten unbearable. Yes, I've had nine kids, ate too much and didn't exercise. But, our stress as a family has never been higher-- financial, and otherwise. I noticed my abdomen going positively out of control.

Now, dieting and exercising, it's getting better. But, there is still SUCH a pouch that it's almost abnormal (pardon the pun) and is simply not responding to the abdominal stuff I'm doing.

Stress is still way high, does anyone know of this hormone, and of any possible homeopathic things to try and combat it, in addition to diet and exercise?
  • Marla64
    Options
    LOL:laugh:
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    LOL:laugh:
    There you go. That's one way to relieve stress!!!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    first on last off. Belly fat is usually the last frontier on weight loss. You may notice small changes as you go along but I wouldn't count on the belly looking thinner until you are close to your goal weight. Especially after so many babies...I totally get where you are coming from, hang in there and focus on your goals and your flatter tummy will come.
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    Cortisol is a corticosteroid hormone produced by the adrenal gland. It is often referred to as the "stress hormone" as it is involved in response to stress. It increases blood pressure and blood sugar, and reduces immune responses. In pharmacology, the synthetic form of cortisol is referred to as hydrocortisone, and is used to treat allergies and inflammation, and to supplement natural cortisol when its production is too low.

The amount of cortisol present in the blood undergoes diurnal variation, with the highest levels present in the early morning, and the lowest levels present around midnight, 3-5 hours after the onset of sleep.

Changed patterns of serum cortisol levels have been observed in connection with abnormal ACTH levels, clinical depression, psychological stress, and such physiological stressors as hypoglycemia, illness, fever, trauma, surgery, fear, pain, physical exertion or extremes of temperature.

There is also significant individual variation, although a given person tends to have consistent rhythms.

There's a ton of additional information about Cortisol at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortisol but nothing points to it causing belly fat except by others who are trying to market a new gimmick to sell crap to those of us looking for an easy way to lose weight.
  • Marla64
    Options
    Cortisol is a corticosteroid hormone produced by the adrenal gland. It is often referred to as the "stress hormone" as it is involved in response to stress. It increases blood pressure and blood sugar, and reduces immune responses. In pharmacology, the synthetic form of cortisol is referred to as hydrocortisone, and is used to treat allergies and inflammation, and to supplement natural cortisol when its production is too low.

The amount of cortisol present in the blood undergoes diurnal variation, with the highest levels present in the early morning, and the lowest levels present around midnight, 3-5 hours after the onset of sleep.

Changed patterns of serum cortisol levels have been observed in connection with abnormal ACTH levels, clinical depression, psychological stress, and such physiological stressors as hypoglycemia, illness, fever, trauma, surgery, fear, pain, physical exertion or extremes of temperature.

There is also significant individual variation, although a given person tends to have consistent rhythms.

There's a ton of additional information about Cortisol at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortisol but nothing points to it causing belly fat except by others who are trying to market a new gimmick to sell crap to those of us looking for an easy way to lose weight.

Whoa-- this is awesome, thanks so much.

Yes, I do believe I may have read about the cortisol/belly fat link in an ad for TrimSpa, or something like that, some gimmicky pill designed to "target belly fat."

The only reason I tended to add credence to the theory is the explosion of abdominal girth. I had weighed more than this before, but it was more better proportioned. This time it all gathered in the midsection, and stress is skyrocketing. So, I did some quick math and figured one plus one made two.

Thanks so much for the information--
  • Jendaya35
    Jendaya35 Posts: 79 Member
    Options

Yes, I've had nine kids,

Just thinking about that alone wears me out! :laugh:
  • hnlymark
    Options
    In the past year I have lost about fifty pounds and gone from a jeans waist of 36 to 33. I have concurrently suffered the most stress in my life (UGLY divorce involving two children in a court system that just doesn't give a damn and the loss of a hard earned extremely lucrative job among other things). So, while I am only one example, I'd say the theory is BS. Just my personal experience.
  • pecksun8
    Options
    Sorry to hear that, but why limit the non-caring people to the court system. How many people do you know are happy with their job? I think I can count on one hand how many people I know that actually like their job. Now, I could count to the moon about how many people don't care about their job, or really hate their job.
    But it does really suck when you are paying someone to care about your welfare and to defend it, and sorry to say that the more money it takes for a lawyer, the better off you are. I learned that the pocketbook way and went through a heartbreaking custody hearing.
    I would genuinely say that stress tremendously helped to my weight gain. And the biggest stress I had was my job. I hated it! I mean hated it! So one day I quit, and it sucks because I haven't been able to find a job that pays as well, and right now I am jobless, but...I have finally come to figure out a few things that have helped me get back on track and start to my a** back in shape as well as my mind.
    Changing the way I think has been the biggest change.
  • Marla64
    Options
    Our courts are clueless. I'm sorry you had such trouble. I have a relative whose children should have been taken away when I reported him for child abuse, but he scammed the social workers-- long story short, he kept his children, his children ended up acting out due to the violence they endured from daddy, and began attacking each other. Some of the children are now incarcerated for raping their siblings-- my relative is clueless and evil, the courts aren't much better.

Back to stress-- stress eating is certainly what caused the weight, I was just wondering about the connection to "stress hormone" with the belly flab specifically.

Since losing some weight, exercising regularly and being so enthusiastic about my goal, I know that I am handling the stress TONS better. Our financial situation hasn't improved. If anything it's worse, with not much hope in sight. (hubby in mortgage business-- read between the lines-- ugh) But, because of taking control over my weight issues and being proactive instead of whiny and reactive my 'psyche" is much better.

Thanks, all--
  • hnlymark
    Options
    I think some of you may misunderstand. What I was getting at, the weight has come off my waist (three inches) during stressful times. Can stress trigger weight gain? I have no doubt. But, I sincerely doubt that it will cause weight to specifically cling to a certain area. Again, I lost 50 pounds and my waist only dropped 3". In fact, ALL of my measurements have steadily gotten smaller. I believe this weight loss would probably have been significantly easier (from a mental standpoint) during less stressful times. From my experience, I am of the opinion weight is lost, more or less, uniformly and is just more obvious in smaller areas (arms for example).
  • Marla64
    Options
    no, I get you Mark. I get it. I think the first response hit the nail on the head-- if I heard that cortisol, the stress hormone, is linked to profound belly fat, it was probably by some gimmicky diet aid trying to hawk their product.