No Energy....HELP!!!

Options
Ever since the weather has gotten colder, I've had little to no energy. I get up, work and come home and really just don't feel like doing anything. When it was warm and sunny, I had no problem coming home and working out...but lately, especially the last few weeks, I just cannot bring myself to do it. I'm sad, irritable and feel just BLAH!!! And it doesnt help that I haven't seen the sun in close to a week....maybe more. No joke, its been cloudy and gloomy...and snowy/icy. I also feel the desperate need for a nap when I get home, thinking it will give me an energy boost to sleep for 30 minutes...but it just makes me even more tired.

...any suggestions for getting my energy level back up? I want to work out, but I can hardly drag myself up the steps let alone think about an intense workout.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated because really, this feeling sucks!

Replies

• kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I take a multi-vitamin that promotes metabolism (which helps with energy!). Also, I drink energy-enhanced waters (it's a flavor packet you can pick up at wal-mart that promotes energy, and the one for metabolism is awesome too!). Finally, I know this is not what you want to hear, but exercise gives you more energy. I never get 8 hours of sleep, so between work and school I go for a brisk walk to perk me up, and the high lasts a few hours. You don't need a 45 minute sweat-session to feel better. Just a chilly day in a neighborhood around the block works for me :) Good luck!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    That's a tough one. Make sure you are getting enough sleep and check the quality of the calories you are eating. even if you are staying within your calorie goal, if its unhealthy food its not going to give you the energy you need (i.e. eating a candy bar vs eating pb&j on wheat toast with salad).

The other part is this is really a mental game in so many ways. Its been really cold and snowy here (very unusual for NYC) but regardless, even when I'm lieing in bed thinking I'm going to skip the gym this morning or go have an IHOP breakfast first I stop, take a deep breath and remind myself of what I want long term. Some days I literally have to make myself get up and do it. Thats where the persistance and desire come in. I'm not a 100% perfect but 8 of 10 or 9 of 10 times I get up and going because the alternative, not being healthy, gaining the weight back, being unhappy with myself is not acceptable. I lived like that for most of my life. Read something somewhere: successful people do the things unsuccessful people wont do. I want to be successful in this so even though I don't want to go to the gym, eat healthy, walk the dogs, cook instead of going to McDonalds, etc., etc., etc. I make the better, productive choice.

BE STRONG -- BE YOUR OWN BEST FRIEND!!!!
  • missfebus
    Options
    you may want to ask your doctor to check your vitamin d levels if you haven't already.
  • tlussier
    tlussier Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I feel for you!! Weather has been horrible here lately too! The past couple days I have had major issues getting my butt in gear! I think getting more vitamin D in your diet or by supplements may help....that's all I got lol. Interested in other's input :)
  • parrtar
    parrtar Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Keep your eyes on on the prize! The days are getting a little longer and before you know it, it will be warm and sunny again. Visualize yourself out taking a walk on a nice day and remember how much better you sleep at night (if you do) when you are out walking. It's normal to feel less energy in the winter, so don't kick yourself emotionally, just get out there and take a short walk. Also, do you take vitamins? When I started taking vitamin D and Iron supplements I found my energy level increased, but I knew from my physician that I was deficient in those vitamins. Maybe you also have some vitamin deficiencies?
  • ahbach2005
    Options
    One thing that feels good and always gives my wife and I a boost is a few minutes in a tanning bed. We don't do it alot but both of us get a little llopy in the dead of winter

We also take some vitamin D as well and that seems to help.
  • silver14200
    Options
    I'm not sure I am entirely qualifed to answer here. I currently live in Las Vegas so it's sunny 350 days per year and I love it. I did live farther north for most of my life though. And boy did the cold grey weather get me down. I'd almost go into hibernation mode in the winter. I found three things that really helped me out. First try a multi vitamin and especially after 40 I found that CoQ10 helped amazingly with energy. Second, force yourself to go workout even if you really don't want to for a couple of days. Find something fun like going swiming in an indoor pool or doing a yoga class. Anything to get moving. It breaks up the blahs and makes you feel good agan. Finally, all you doctors out there close your eyes, if all else fails I would go tanning two or three times! I can't tell you how good it always makes me feel in the winter time. I never do it more than three times because I don't want the sun damage but wow what difference in energy.
  • terrivision
    terrivision Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Work out first thing in the morning. That way it is done and you don't have to worry about it the rest of the day. Also make sure to turn on as many lights as you can (in the room you're in) sometimes that helps when the sun isn't out.

I get up a 5:00 am to work out and I am to work by 7:30 am.

You may also want to consult with a doctor about the energy drain. They will be able to give you the best advice about your lack of energy.

Good luck!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i started taking vit D supplement last november...and this is THE first winter i have NOT felt dragged out, without energy, or wanting only to hibernate.. no symptoms even of S.A.D.
    First winter i have EVER felt 'decent' since moving to Alberta 30 years ago *S*
  • AngiePantz
    Options
    You could try a B12 supplement...I think that helps me a little