FAST & EASY HEALTHY RECIPES FOR MOMS ON THE GO!

Options
I'm not a cook, but yet I need to find fast and easy recipes that are for moms on the go! I don't want to spend all my family time in the kitchen.... or is that something that I'd even enjoy! LOL! I was not given the cooking gene! :laugh:
Any great recipes or help would be GREATFUL and very much appreciated!!! :heart:

Replies

• Lindsay7360
    Options
    Wish I could help - I'm definitely lacking in the cooking dept! :wink:

Can't wait to see some of the recipes! :happy:
  • floterry
    floterry Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I like to take those Thin Buns made by earth grains and put a low fat spaghetti sauce or pizza sauce and some cheese and low cal pizza style toppings and pop them in the toaster oven or regular oven. This is a quick and healthy alternative to traditional pizza and so far has helped suffice the craving for me. Good Luck!
  • annie_p
    annie_p Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping this so I can get some ideas too!

My biggest ally in the kitchen is the crock pot. Get some stew meat, or a roast, or even chicken...cut up some veggies...there ya go.
  • floterry
    floterry Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Also, are you familiar with the "diet soda cake" recipe? I don't know if you're a cake eater or not, but I was...BIGTIME.

When i make a cake, i don't add the egg or oil, i pick a cake mix and a 12 oz. can of diet soda that the flavor sounds like it would go with the cake, and you just add the cake mix, the can of diet soda, blend/mix it up and bake as directed, and ice it with cool whip.

I only ice mine one piece at a time, so as not to let the cool whip get gross.

It is amazing how it bakes up just as soft and fluffy as a regular cake. I love this! It cuts out a lot of the calories.

One good example is a white cake mix with a can of diet orange soda. This tastes soooo good.
  • xxjessikatxx
    Options
    taco's,cheeseburgers,pasta,homemade salisbury steak,pierogies..If you invest in a crockpot that would be great you can do tons of things (this coming from someone who wont give in and buy one lol).
  • kmjenkins
    kmjenkins Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I have started to love to cook, but unfortunately they are not always fast recipes. So recently I invested $4.00 in a bisquick cookbook, there is so much you can make with it and it's all super easy! Word of advice substitute the heart smart bisquick and egg substitute for whole eggs, everything is fairly healthy or easily modified with quick swaps to make it lower in calories, etc. If you don't want to buy the cookbook check out this link. I have never made a time consuming or tough bisquick recipe, all super easy and yummy! http://www.bettycrocker.com/products/bisquick/Recipes
  • AngiePantz
    Options
    a big time saver can be to cook in bulk. For example; buy a family pack of boneless, skinless chicken breasts and grill or bake them all at once. Use a basic seasoning that can be topped with different flavors when you reheat it, bbq, or hot sauce so that it tastes a little different at different meals with different sides. Freeze anything you think might go bad before you have a chance to eat it.

It is important to have something cooked for fast eating ready for those days you are too beat to put in much time. This will keep you from letting your stomach talk you into eating fast food or out at a restaurant just because you're starving and not willing to wait on a real meal to cook.
  • christawill
    christawill Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Kraftfoods.com has a tab called "healthy living", & there are several recipes in there with just a few ingredients that can be whipped up pretty quickly- even by the "kitchen-challenged" lol.
    I love that site.
    Check out their "Down Home Cheesy Bacon Chicken" at 260 calories/serving& the "grateful Veg" wraps at 230 calories/serving; both are great.
    also- try allrecipes.com's "chicken stir fry" at 173 cal/serving- even my kids loved this one
    & "Aimee's Quick chicken" also from allrecipes.com at 199cal/serving.
    I am all about quick & easy - and anything that I can put on the table for my whole family is a plus for me!!
    Good luck!!
  • elf618
    elf618 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    "cornflake chicken" IF you're brave enough to try my unmeasured, passed down recipe. My mom got this as a substitute for fried chicken fingers when I was in elementary school and it has become a family favorite.

3/4 cup parmesan grated cheese (kraft green bottle)
    1 Tablespoon parsley flakes
    4 cups? ( I always eyeball it, about 1 gallon bag 3/4 full before crushing) corn flakes

eggbeaters 1/4 cup? + a splash of milk(enough to dunk the chicken before coating in the cornflake mixture)

1-1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast cut into tenders

melted butter or pam-type spray

Combine the first 3 ingredients in a gallon sized ziploc, crush and shake to evenly distribute
    dip chicken in the egg wash on both sides then shake in the bag to coat evenly
    place tenders on a sprayed cookie sheet or glass pan
    when finished drizzle each piece with melted butter or spray with pam to help crisp up
    bake at 375 for about 10 minutes on each side

easy peasy and sooo yummy. I often leave off the butter and just dump any leftover coating over the chicken and drizzle on any leftover egg mixture.

We usually serve with the not so healthy "cheesy potatos"

1 bag frozen hash browns
    8oz 2% cheddar cheese
    1 can reduced fat cream of mushroom soup
    1 "can" skim milk (use soup can as your measuring cup)
    16 oz fat free sour cream
    (1 stick of margarine)--i always leave this out but it's so much better with it in :)

Mix all ingredients together and bake at 375 about 35 minutes. This is also good with a few corn flakes crushed up on top. You can imagine the full fat version---which is much tastier even, but we like this one enough to make it frequently.

Hope you enjoy!
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • kamk16
    kamk16 Posts: 205
    Options
    bump
  • seabuckaroo
    Options
    a big time saver can be to cook in bulk. For example; buy a family pack of boneless, skinless chicken breasts and grill or bake them all at once. Use a basic seasoning that can be topped with different flavors when you reheat it, bbq, or hot sauce so that it tastes a little different at different meals with different sides. Freeze anything you think might go bad before you have a chance to eat it.

It is important to have something cooked for fast eating ready for those days you are too beat to put in much time. This will keep you from letting your stomach talk you into eating fast food or out at a restaurant just because you're starving and not willing to wait on a real meal to cook.

^ I do this as well. I have one 2 year old and 2 one year olds so I am strapped for time alot. I like to grill some chicken breast that has been rubbed in a little olive oil, pepper, sea salt. I also like to grill things like bell peppers, onions, mushrooms,etc. also rubbed in Olive oil, salt and pepper. These things make great 'bases' for many meals. I also cook a few cups of brown rice and keep it in the fridge for quick reheating. As far as the chicken and veggies go you can add them to rice, pasta, healthy baked potato, sliced and baked yams, salad or almost anything else. It only takes about 1-2 hours a week of prepping to make these things ahead of time. It may seem like a hastle but you will be eating preservative free, healthy, realtively cheap food.
    You CAN do it.
  • sharesb
    sharesb Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    invest in a crock pot, it is a lifesaver and time saver - really! throw your chicken in, vegetables, seasoning -- voila, instant meal. My family loves sweet and sour chicken:

- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
    - 1 cup sweet and sour sauce (pick any brand you like from grocery store)
    - 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    - 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
    - 8 oz pineapple chunks in juice, drained (reserve 1/4 cup juice)
    - 1 tablespoons brown sugar
    - 16 oz bag of frozen stir-fry vegetables

Throw all your ingredients except vegetables in the crock pot cook 4 hours on low, the last half hour put your vegetables in and cook on high the last half hour....delicious!!
  • seabuckaroo
    Options
    That sweet and sour chicken sounds delicious. I am going to make that!
  • sharesb
    sharesb Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    oops i forgot to add in that when you put the veggies in throw in the rest of the pineapple juice too :D hee hee

now I'm hungry....lol
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    bump

she needs more ideas people... I know this woman & she cannot cook. LMAO (love ya Kel):smile:
  • amr_227
    Options
    I think its always easy to toss things in the crockpot in the late morning and then you have supper! Or put a roast in their before you leave for work on low. Then home for dinner and it s ready. Maybe serve it with some steamed rice and veggies (you can buy it in a bag to steam in the microwave).

Maybe a wrap sandwich- they are quick to make... A new one I want to try-
    Spread a thin layer of cream cheese on a tortilla shell (could use low fat)
    Then place a slice of turkey on top of the cream cheese.
    Using chopped brocolli sprinkle on top of turkey.

Roll it up and enjoy! You could even use leftover grilled chicken.
  • e3slisa
    Options
    Hi there, I am a full time working Mum to 4, (5 if you include te hubby!) I do really love to cook, but not during the week when there is homework, bathtime etc to do before any quality time with the family. I live in Spain where 'ready cooked meals' have not quite been introduced yet, so all of our meal times are made with fresh ingredients. I try to make all my evening meals quick, enjoyable and healthy, they are all between 400 and 500 calories a serving. One of the quickest and simplest ones I make the kids like to call "Cowboy Pie", see what you think:- (My measures will be metric, so you may need to convert)

Ingredients:-
    700 grams Lean Minced Beef
    1 Tin of Baked Beans
    1 Tin Chopped Tomatoes
    1 pack Bacon lardons (Or just a few slices of chopped Bacon)
    1/3 of a bottle of Lea & Perrins Worcester sauce
    2 large baking potatoes.

Brown the mince and bacon in a large saucepan, add the beans, tomatoes and worcester sauce (worcester sauce to your taste). Mix together and cook on the hob for a few miniutes. Transfer to an oven proof dish. Peel the 2 large potatoes and slice thinly. Arrange the potatoes over the top of the mince and brush with a little milk. Put it into a preheated oven (180º C / 350 ºF) for about 20 mins, or until potatoes are golden.
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Check out my blog http://momvsfood.blogspot.com! I have tons of recipes, and am a full-time working, two you kid mothering, busy mom so most are quick, easy, and good for you!
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I make an Eggbeaters omelette.

Need:
    1/4 cup Eggbeaters Original
    1 wedge Laughing Cow Swiss Cheese (light)
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    1/4 cup chopped mushrooms
    1 tbsp salsa

To make:
    In small pan, pour Eggbeaters and cook until bottom is cooked thoroughly. Toss in onion and mushrooms.

Flip over in pan and place cheese (I normally slice it into smaller pieces so I can put it all over the omelette) on omelette.

Fold omelette in half and continue cooking on both sides until completely cooked.
    Garnish with salsa.

It is deee-lish and only takes me about 5-7 minutes to make. I normally buy an onion and pack of mushrooms at the beginning of the week, chop them up, then store them in small containers in my fridge for easy access when I'm making breakfast.