The Pill and Weight Gain

Options
Apologies to the men out there, but I'd love some advice from the girls here...

Have y'all had more or less luck on certain types of birth control as far as weight gain is concerned? I'd really love to get on one of those low-dose pills that lets you have a period only once every three months (I love swimming and camping, 'nuff said), but I have heard horror stories from some girls about the pill causing weight gain-- though in the back of my mind, I always wonder if they're just using it as an excuse for being chubby in place of addressing the issues of poor diet and lack of exercise. How many people who eat right and exercise while on the pill actually run into weight gain? Is it a relatively small portion of people, or would I be setting myself up for disaster if I went on it?

Replies

• ejschantz85
    Options
    I asked my doctor this when I had gone on the pill. She said that the pill doesn't usually cause massive weight gain. If you gain weight really easy she said it could cause you to gain maybe ten pounds. However if you watch what you eat then you shouldn't worry. While I was on the pill I didn't gain any weight at all.
  • dthompson17
    Options
    Not sure, just started one of those three month pill packs. I was on the pill forever before I started having kids and never gained weight. I probably didn't eat well then. Now that I am trying to lose weight and trying to eat healthy, it seems like a very slow process. I am almost one month down in my pack and I guess we will see after that.
  • Amcantar
    Amcantar Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    When I started on the pill, I noticed a big change in hormones and cravings, and therefore, weight gain because I was eating more. But, once I started eating right and working out, I lost it. It is not a life changer, you just have to keep on top of things :)
  • xxjessikatxx
    Options
    Ive been on the pill for 9 yrs and ive never gained weight from them and ive been on so many diffrent brands..I think people like to make an excuse..Have you looked into the nuvaring ro an iud ..i hear yaz was terrible everyone i know got sick..
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    This same topic was posted yesterday. I've posted the link so you can see those responses in addition to the ones you get tonight. That being said, my doctor told me that most women gain weight on BC because they don't have good eating and exercise habits to begin with. It looks like you adapted your lifestyle a while back so I think you'll do just fine no matter what you choose. Best of luck to you!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/169370-birth-control-and-losing-weight
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hah, thank you-- it figures that the one day I didn't read the boards, someone posted something I was wondering about! :)
  • k1979k
    k1979k Posts: 94
    Options
    I was on a brand that made me a bit bloated, but I just told the doctor and changed to another brand. No problems since (and I've been on it for about 13 years)
  • Kabobin
    Options
    Weight can fluctuate 3-5 pounds from the pill...if you gain anything more than that you're at fault. Now the shot, STAY AWAY...that did me in once. I cannot recommend the low dose pills either because they never work for me....i never stop. And if you're overweight the pill is less effective...if you take antibiotics, the pill is not effective...and if you take certain supplements...the pill is not effective.
  • jmhunter84
    jmhunter84 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, I did notice it made me retain alot of water, something to think about.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I've had brands decrease and increase my appetite, so I think that's how people gain weight.

They also increased my anxiety, and the next one gave me horrible issues with anger.

I hate the pill.
  • MonsteRawr
    MonsteRawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've been on Seasonal (4 periods per year) since I was 18. I don't remember any weight gain when I started on it, but I was also 18. Since then, I have not experienced any weight gain due to the pill, just an over-indulgence of cheese and fried things!

I will say that Seasonal has been great for me. I hate getting my period, so it's amazing to not have to deal with it but once every three months. It's also MUCH lighter and less severe; I experience minimal PMS and my period only lasts 2-3 days. I know each combination of hormones reacts differently to each person, but it's been wonderful for me, and I hope you have the same success!
  • pvolleyball7
    Options
    I take Loestrin 24Fe. I am the same height as you, and roughly the same weight. I've been taking it for a year now and I have not gained any weight from it. I also didn't notice that it changed any of my eating habits or anything like that. It is a lower dosage pill, so I very rarely have my period, and when I do get it, it is extremely light pretty much next to nothing. Insurance wise, it is a tier 3 pill so it can be kind of pricey, but theres a number you can call to get a discount card so you only pay $24 a month. Hope that helps.
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    I was on YAZ for a couple months, never had any weight gain from it. Other side effects did occur, but I'm no longer taking anything. Just too expensive for me to keep up with. But some people do gain some weight from it, but nothing too big