Special K protein Drink Vs Slim fast drink

Options
I have been drinking the special K protein drinks every few mornings... but I am really interested in trying the slim fast drinks.. and I am interested in hearing peoples take on them.. And I am also interested in the other side of people who have lost weight using the special K drinks.. I guess what I am trying to ask is.. Which is better and which would help someone who is not sure what the best tool is.. As well as someone who works out maybe 4 or 5 times a week.. PLEASE HELP!!

Replies

• tlussier
    tlussier Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    bump
  • in_it_2_win_it
    Options
    huh
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    i used to drink the powder form of slimfast. worked great. better than the premixed. but eventually all the weight came back & then some. never tried the special k one. ~im learning the hard way that no quick fixes are forever. good luck!
  • Rynatat
    Rynatat Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I tried Slim fast years ago (circa 1997/1998) & then again more recently (around 2 years ago) when they had their Gluten Free/lower lactose version: It literally blew through me (both times I've tried it) and left me more hungry than ever - I know, not a pretty picture! I can only use the Special K drink mix packet (pink lemonade) but my fiance eats their bars & has had their drinks & likes them better - not overly sweet & seem to be more filling without acting as an enema...

But everyone is different & reacts differently which is why their are so many supplements on the market. Personally, I stay away from most (Special K drink mix is emergency when I need extra protein to hold me over an extra hour), I stick with food in portions & workout, sometimes a lot when I eat more than I should :wink:
  • MonsteRawr
    MonsteRawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I tired to use the Slim Fast drinks as a replacement for breakfast for a while, and it never worked. I was never super crazy about the taste, (it was a little chalky in my opinion, ) and an hour or two later I would be *starving*. Now I prefer to start off the morning with oatmeal made with milk mixed with peanut butter and a banana, and that keeps me full far longer than the shakes ever did!
  • petchonka82
    Options
    The drinks can work, though I agree they are a little chalky, but they are like any weight loss supplement or pill...once you stop, you'll most likely gain the weight back..at least everyone I know has and it states it right on the packaging. You're better off with a balanced breakfast. It might take you a bit longer to lose the weight but in the long run you will have better habits and it will be easier to maintain.
  • petchonka82
    Options
    The drinks can work, though I agree they are a little chalky, but they are like any weight loss supplement or pill...once you stop, you'll most likely gain the weight back..at least everyone I know has and it states it right on the packaging. You're better off with a balanced breakfast. It might take you a bit longer to lose the weight but in the long run you will have better habits and it will be easier to maintain.

I'm referring to the slim fast. I don't know anything about the special K drinks....but if they are similar to protein powder than I would say stick to those, but add a carb (banana or something.)
  • DoralisM
    Options
    I drink one a day to fill in calories so that i have at least the recommended minimum of 1200 cals. I personally like the Strawberries n Cream shake chilled with ice... mmm!
  • in_it_2_win_it
    Options
    I use the Special K for when I work out.. so that I at least have more energy to finish my work out... But I have recently also tried the Slim fast bars.. and I feel they work well also... I think just sticking to what I have now might just be my best bet.. cause it seems to be working and the weight is coming off..
  • tlussier
    tlussier Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    huh

I just wanted the topic to save in my topics b/c I was interested in what others had to say. It's like tagging the thread :)
  • AussieFirebird
    AussieFirebird Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I believe that there is no quick answer to weight loss, other than to learn about food and the right way to eat it for your body's needs. That is the only thing you will be able to maintain for a lifetime. Best wishes to everyone :)
  • Victorious_One
    Victorious_One Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    If you want to use shakes in your eating program, I'd strongly recommend higher-protein shakes. They keep the hunger at bay much better. They also tend to be lower in carbs. The protein helps to build lean muscle, which helps to burn fat.

The shake I'm drinking at this moment is EAS AdvantEDGE Carb Control. It has 17 g of protein per 11 oz box. It's 110 calories, 3 g fat, and 4 g carbs (for the Chocolate Fudge flavor; the French Vanilla has only 1 g carb). You can get a 4 pack for around $4 at Walmart right near the Slim Fast. I'm only drinking these shakes until I'm able to get my hands on some Premier Nutrition shakes. For the same 11 oz, you get 30 g of protein, 3g fat, 3g carbs, for 160 calories. Of course, Premier Nutrition is like $3/serving, so cost is a factor. (They don't use artificial sweeteners, and that's important to me, that's why I'm switching.)

Comparatively, both the Special k and Slim Fast chocolate drinks have only 10 g of protein and 190 calories (72% more than EAS). Special K has 29 carbs, and Slim Fast has 25 (6-7 times the carbs of EAS). These shakes are not going to get you to goal!