Military wife, on a mission...

Options
Mission is to tone up and eat better and get my family eating better. My husband and I have been together for 3 years and just recently got married (Dec 28th :love: ) but we also have a big wedding planned back home in June which was planned before we found out we were transferring to another base. I have 3 children, all girls, 2 from a previous marraige and one from this one. I am only 5' tall so even 10 pounds makes a huge difference on my frame. I have struggled with weight issues all of my life as has my mom. Now as my mother is nearing retirement with numerous health problems, I couldn't even begin to venture a guess at her weight (she is 5'4") but it's an issue as far as her health is concerned. 4 years ago I began a workout program on my own and had hoped to inspire her. I weighed 167, which on my 5' frame was terrible. I had trouble breathing and didn't want to play with my kids. I did get down to 135 and it took me about 7 months, however the more I lost, the less I ate. So the last couple years I had held steady around 141 and though my eating habits weren't great they were ok and I was exercising regularly. The last 2.5 months I finally got really burnt out on the whole gym thing so I have not gone back until this week. I have gained 10 more pounds during that time and realized that my eating is really my biggest issue, not how many times I make it to the gym. I started a food journal a couple days ago and when I was checking calorie counts I found this website. Not only is it simplier to journal my food intake and exercise but now it's the added bonus of taking this journey with other people who are all here for many different reasons. I am beginning to be accountable for what I eat and think twice about something knowing I have to write it down:sad: . Anyway, my current goal is to drop 15 pounds and maintain a healthier eating schedule, meal routine and teach my children the same thing.

Also at the forefront is the fact that we are transferring to Hawaii in July and I will finally be able to return to work, but it means less time for workouts so it's more important that I get the eating down better. Nice to meet you all!

Replies

• brazeaut
    brazeaut Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Mission is to tone up and eat better and get my family eating better. My husband and I have been together for 3 years and just recently got married (Dec 28th :love: ) but we also have a big wedding planned back home in June which was planned before we found out we were transferring to another base. I have 3 children, all girls, 2 from a previous marraige and one from this one. I am only 5' tall so even 10 pounds makes a huge difference on my frame. I have struggled with weight issues all of my life as has my mom. Now as my mother is nearing retirement with numerous health problems, I couldn't even begin to venture a guess at her weight (she is 5'4") but it's an issue as far as her health is concerned. 4 years ago I began a workout program on my own and had hoped to inspire her. I weighed 167, which on my 5' frame was terrible. I had trouble breathing and didn't want to play with my kids. I did get down to 135 and it took me about 7 months, however the more I lost, the less I ate. So the last couple years I had held steady around 141 and though my eating habits weren't great they were ok and I was exercising regularly. The last 2.5 months I finally got really burnt out on the whole gym thing so I have not gone back until this week. I have gained 10 more pounds during that time and realized that my eating is really my biggest issue, not how many times I make it to the gym. I started a food journal a couple days ago and when I was checking calorie counts I found this website. Not only is it simplier to journal my food intake and exercise but now it's the added bonus of taking this journey with other people who are all here for many different reasons. I am beginning to be accountable for what I eat and think twice about something knowing I have to write it down:sad: . Anyway, my current goal is to drop 15 pounds and maintain a healthier eating schedule, meal routine and teach my children the same thing.

Also at the forefront is the fact that we are transferring to Hawaii in July and I will finally be able to return to work, but it means less time for workouts so it's more important that I get the eating down better. Nice to meet you all!
  • rodeoruss
    Options
    my prayers go out to you and your family mission. From a former vet 20 years ago i understand the purpose. also congrats on the wedding.
  • brazeaut
    Options
    Thank you. It's hard to explain when people haven't experienced it, however my husband finished deployment #5 in April of 2007. He was gone a year...and I was on my own with 3 kids. It's very hard to not just find the quickest thing near to feed the kids. In their younger years it is easier to teach good eating habits than when they get older, we all know that...and keeping up with all of them is hard on my own. The next deployment looms and I just prefer not to think about it right now...conquer the task at hand. :wink:
  • wibrown
    wibrown Posts: 30
    Options
    brazeaut
    My brother in law went to Saudi. While I may not understand the wife side of it I saw what my sister and my dad went through while he was there and weight gain was a big one. The only thing you can really do in either situation is think Positive thoughts. Good luck to you and your family. I also understand weight, I am 5 ft 3 and weight (now) 292. So far my health is still good and I want to keep it that way.
    We here at MFP will help you all we can.

Nikki
  • jessjess
    Options
    Hi Brazeaut!

My husband and are both active duty and I am currently in Iraq. No one knows the struggles that a military spouse goes through like other military members. I want to thank you for dealing with all of the obstacles that are thrown your way, being in the military family. It sure isn't easy.

Stick with this site! It has really helped me stay focused and stay in control of my eating habits...and is FULL of great info.

Enjoy Hawaii! It'll be great!
    My husband and I just got orders to California. We head there one month after I return to the states. Lots of stress....but it'll pass.

-Jess
  • brazeaut
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your support. This is probably the best place I have found on the internet! I have passed it on to a couple of friends as well.

Jess, I can't imagine the stress of dealing with a move from such a far distance. I think our move would be a little easier if we didn't own our home. That is one thing I don't believe we do again until my husband retires. It must be difficult being the one deployed. I have always said that it's not the time away nor the distance that is hard, but it's the day to day worry that everyone will make it another day.

Nikki, you are correct, you don't have to be a spouse to understand how it feels. My brother and several family members were in the first Gulf War so I know that side of it too.

I think my main problem was that while he was gone I stayed away from big meals, as the kids were not real fond of those, however we all ate pretty bad...ie Mc D's, mac and cheese, etc...now it's getting all of us on track. A few slips last week but not too bad. This week will be better.