What New Food Have You Tried & Surprisingly Loved?

Options
We're all here to lose weight/get healthy so I was wondering what great new foods you've tried and ended up being pleasantly surprised by?

For me, we just tried a jambalaya rice dish and added smoked skinless turkey sausage and it was really good--my 3 year old even cleaned her bowl (and they don't sit long enough to finish anything!) lol. We also tried ground pork for tacos the other night--we usually do beef or chicken. The pork cooked up with little grease and was really good too!

Would love to hear some of your ideas-thanks for sharing!

Replies

• Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Chickpea cutlets! I made some this weekend for the first time, and oh my yumminess!

Recipe here: http://www.theppk.com/2010/11/doublebatch-chickpea-cutlets/
  • taryn_jean
    Options
    I tried spaghetti squash and really liked it. After it's cooked it comes out looking like spaghetti. I added spaghetti sauce and a little garlic. It is a little crunchier than noodles but has good flavor. A nice low-cal meal.

P.S. I don't even like squash normally.
  • simplywriting
    Options
    For me it was Spaghetti Squash...
    and I use it for a "dessert" too by sweetening it... so delish!
  • DoralisM
    Options
    Silk Vanilla Soy Milk... i love it!:laugh:
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Just tried hummus for the first time two days ago and loved it! Recently have been eating oatmeal and am now beginning to really like it and I just used purred cauliflower as a cream for a pasta sauce and really liked it.
  • littlebethy87
    Options
    pine nut hummus and pepperjack cheese, but not together of course.
  • swenard
    swenard Posts: 101
    Options
    I tried spaghetti squash and really liked it. After it's cooked it comes out looking like spaghetti. I added spaghetti sauce and a little garlic. It is a little crunchier than noodles but has good flavor. A nice low-cal meal.

P.S. I don't even like squash normally.

Spaghetti squash is a new one for me, too. I found a low calorie chicken cacciatore recipe I put on top of it. It is in the food guide under easy chicken cacciatore, also weight watchers chicken cacciatore
  • katieb99
    Options
    Snow Peas! I eat them raw, or just throw then in with a stir fry with a bunch of other veggies. I also love cooked carrots now when before I only liked them raw.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Turkey everything! lol I also love that turkey smoked sausage in jambalaya. I brown it a little first before I add in the mix, really adds to the flavor. I love turkey burgers, turkey chili, turkey bacon, and turkey spaghetti!

I also love eggbeaters! I load them up with mini peppers, onions, and mushrooms.

Whole wheat sandwich thins, whole wheat bagel thins, rice cakes with laughing cow cheese wedges, rye flatbreads with laughing cow cheese wedges...

And I have a rediscovered love of apples! I just love them!
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Sardines in water.
  • Randee75
    Randee75 Posts: 234
    Options
    Kale Chips!
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    YES! Kale chips = awesome!
  • Randee75
    Randee75 Posts: 234
    Options
    For me it was Spaghetti Squash...
    and I use it for a "dessert" too by sweetening it... so delish!

I love Spaghetti Squash and I love to use the leftovers and heat up a pan with a little olive oil and "fry up" like hash browns its great.
  • ophelia355
    ophelia355 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a tasty and fast answer to meatballs for spaghetti, I love Aidell's chicken and turkey meatballs. They are ready to heat and eat. Three of them make a great addition to whole wheat pasta.
  • Tipring
    Tipring Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    mangos. Never had them before, bougt some frozen mangos to add to my smoothies. Yummy!!
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt...the fruit on the bottom or vanilla
    raw sugar snap peas
    natural almond and walnut 100 cal packs
    kohlrabi...weird veggie it's awesome cut up and roasted
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I'm new to hummus and love it! Love it on whole wheat crackers, with veggies. Raw bell pepper dipped in hummus is probably my favorite!
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oatmeal. If you put a thin pat of butter and mix it in, it tastes like really good grits. I love it!
  • buckeyereavis
    Options
    VEGITABLES lol.... i am addicted!
    it is like crack lol...
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I never thought I would like it, but I tried some lowfat cottage cheese with pineapple chunks and love it. It's a great meal when you are on the low side of available calories for the day. Also, turkey sausage links..awesome and only about 70 calories a link!