Weird Symptoms

Options
So, today I've been noticing some symptoms I've been having..and of course been searching google. I was wondering if anyone had anything similar and what the outcome was. All day I had this pain in my upper abdomen that felt like it went right through to my back, right under my ribcage. It was mostly a dull pain, but constant. It would be uncomfortable to sit and I didn't feel like I could take a full breath. After I ate dinner, it got much worse. It finally went away after about 2.5 hrs of feeling that way. I took a zantac b/c I wasn't sure if it could be acid reflux so I'm not sure if that worked or if it was just the timing of the pain going away. Everything I googled also said gallbladder symptoms and I read that some people tend to get gallstones as they lose weight. I felt very full and bloated.

If it comes back tomorrow (still not 100% gone but mostly) I am going to the dr, just wanted to know if anyone had a similar experience.

Thanks!

Replies

• thisis4me
    thisis4me Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Those sound like the same symptoms I had when I had gall bladder attacks!! You should have that checked out for sure!! Hope you start feeling better!
  • Coramae09
    Coramae09 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    same here! i ended up with pancreatitus cuz a gallstone blocked my duct i ended up in the hospital for a week with no food or drink by mouth and then had my gallbladder taken out! so i would go get it checked!! i had never heard of that happening after losing weight but that could be true because my pain started after i lost 40lbs last year. Good luck i hope you feel better soon!
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Gall bladder was my very first thought. I find I get them from over eating or eating too much fat. I did have a friend that lost 30 lbs. very quickly on nutri-sytem, many years ago and she had a gall bladder attack. The Dr. said it was from doing the nutri-system diet. In fact I believe they went out of business for a number of years because of all of the lawsuits against them. I definitely think you should check it out.
  • ready_for_a_change
    Options
    I was going to guess gall bladder as well. I believe I have gall stones, and completely avoid fried foods, and try too avoid over eating and this helps. But it is best to see a doctor I think
  • kimballtracy
    Options
    its your gaulbladder... atleast that is what it was like for me when i had gaulstones and had to have it removed... it actually put me into labor with my first baby
  • kmc70
    kmc70 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Me three. Sounds like when I had gall bladder attacks. I have a pretty high threshold for pain, but the two attacks I had were worse than child labor for me and I have three kids! I would definitely go get checked out & see if you have a diseased gall bladder or gallstone(s).
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    sounds like gastritis, an ulcer, pancreatitis or gallbladder disease. If you can eat without pain tomorrow you're good, otherwise you might need some blood tests and an ultrasound. Go asap if you get a fever, vomiting, and/or severe pains. I know you were just looking for camaraderie but I feel obligated to say you shouldn't seek medical advice here. :flowerforyou:
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I'e been working on this kind of stuff for a couple days now, along with this crushing fatigue. I've talked to a couple friends the last few days and they all seem to think its a flu-like thing. I'm not nauseated or barfy, I just don't feel like eating. All I want to do is sleep. Just my 2 cents.

Please don't write it off if it continues. Others who have posted here have made some suggestions regarding gall bladder that make sense. Listen to your body and if it continues or the pain is sharp, go to the doc!
  • bayba792
    bayba792 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing almost on a daily basis and the doctors thought that it was my gallbladder and they also checked for ulcers but nope. It was just a bad case of reflux I take zantac also and it will go away with in a hour or two.
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I get that sometimes. Or at least something similar. I have found that it is just gas in my case. I have a method to get rid of the pain, and it is the only way that works for me. It is weird and may gross you out some but it works. I have been doing this since i was a young girl. I lay on the bed on my stomach with my head hanging off the end. Put my arms forward and reach to the ground. I slide off the bed real slow ( this forces the farts out), sometimes I pause on the hips section to make sure i have it all out. When I get done that pain is all but gone and sometimes all gone. It may be worth a try if it happens again. I am not sure but sometimes the gas gets stuck and wont come out either way. Maybe that is why the Zantac worked for you. I don't use antacids so I don't know if that would work for me. But as soon as I read your blog It reminded me of when this happens to me. This could be worth a try first before you visit a Dr. and could save you big bucks. But if it doesn't work then I would deff. go to a Dr. Good luck and keep us posted on how this turns out for you.
  • karissastephens
    karissastephens Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    sounds like gas... lol. Not to be so outspoken but ya
  • xxjessikatxx
    Options
    i have this issue here and there..And well nothing comes up abnormal..It could be indegestion.
  • lilsweetslol
    lilsweetslol Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I had something very similar and they ran every test in the book on my gallbladder and couldnt find anything. I even had a camera down into my stomach. It turned out to i was having a sensitivity to an strong antiobiotic (ciproflaxin) I took, which also was why i was bloated. It was causing sharp pains right under the rib and into the back .. however in that area there are so many different organ functions, something as simple as gas, to something major like acid reflux, or your kidneys and gallbladder. Did you eat a meal that day that had some fat content or something fried? the internet is a wonderful tool and a nightmare for looking up symptoms... you start searching for symptoms about stomach pain and you leave thinking your arm is going to fall off!! j/k:ohwell:
    I did the same thing though, waited until the next day, or next time it occured and hit the road to the Doctors just to be safe.
  • mirenner
    mirenner Posts: 205
    Options
    gall stones...

this is common on a weight loss journey...
    NO this isn't becos of your weight loss
    YES this is due to the fact of your eating habits before your journey

Good News: You could be experiencing gall bladder sludge. This sludge are concentrated small stones which have been accumulating with your previous high fat, high cholesterol diet. If you cut back on your fat intake, your gall bladder doesn't work as often. Think of it as a car not being used for awhile. The oil lies dormant and can thicken. Try using omega 3 oils, flax seed oil, lemon juice. This helps lubricate and stimulates the gall bladder aiding in digestion. I would not ignore fats! This will just make things worse. If all goes well, you can cleanse your gall bladder of this sludge in a week or two.

Bad News: You may have several gall stones. Gall stones will not kill you, but they can be very painful. If a gall stone gets trapped in a duct releasing towards the stomach, you will feel a bloating like a balloon near your liver under your ribcage, followed by pain in that area radiating towards your back. This should subside in 2-3 hours. If it persists longer, the gall stone may be stuck in the duct and emergency surgery will be required. Also, gall stones, if small enough, can be passed into your stomach and digested coming out the other side with no incidents. BUT the stone may migrate to your pancreas causing acute pancreatitis which can be fatal if ignored or get lodged in your intestines if the stone is big enough causing an painful impaction. In any of these cases, it will be accompanied by severe pain, so you will know.

I suggest going to the doctor. It could be IBS, ulcer, gastritis, etc. Unfortunately, a lot of the time a scan cannot find a gall stone, as the stone may be lying in an area that will not show up. Also, you may not have stones at all, just a 'lazy' gall bladder. If you don't use it, you lose it. In this case, most gall bladders kick start back into normal functioning, some of them never recover.

Your gall bladder is also close to your vagas nerve which travels to the heart and regulates your heart beat. You may experience palpitations or a benign heart arrythmia after you eat food which irritates your gall bladder which then stimulates your vagas nerve causing your heart to race and slow. This is not dangerous as your heart will keep in time and should not go over 180 per minute.

All this said... see a doctor. Good Luck!
  • Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys...the pain has come back..pretty bad. I am definitely going to see the Dr ASAP in the morning.
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Sounds like gallstones to me as well. I had mine out almost a year ago. For now avoid greasy foods as well as leafy greens, those are common culprits on bringing on an attack.
  • corey_e
    corey_e Posts: 162
    Options
    I had similar problems in August and it lasted for 3-4 days and it hurt to breath, sit, lay, stand, basically move at all. I took some left over vicodin for the pain. ( bad i know but it was the only thing to numb the pain) finally on a Sunday I decided I would call my dr the next day but then it was gone and never came back. My pain was on the left side though. I should have gone to the dr but at the time I really didn't care too much about my health. (depression) I would say get it checked out. If mine ever comes back I'll go to the ER if I have to. :indifferent:
  • Mirabilis
    Mirabilis Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Sounds like my problems with gallbladder too. Initially it's dull pain but really uncomfortable. If you leave it too long, you could wind up with pancreatitis and you could lose your pancreas! The gall bladder you can do without. Loss of your pancreas means insulin shots for the rest of your life. Totally not worth waiting to find out the hard way.

I had mine out after an excruciating acute attack and nearly lost my pancreas too. Worst pain I've ever felt. They couldn't find the stones with ultrasound because I didn't have stones.... I had sand.

Do get it checked. There are too many downsides not to.
  • saychzzz
    saychzzz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    if it was one time only thing, it could have been gas but you do need to see a Dr. if it happens again. A gas bubble that gets stuck in your intestine can feel like that and it will cause you to have bloated full feeling. Acid reflux can cause the same feeling- if the Zantac really did help, that's likely what it is. But like I said, if it happens even one more time- or if you have pains under your right shoulder blade, you need to see a Dr. and ask that they check your gall bladder for stones. Good luck!!
  • MeghanAM
    MeghanAM Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hope it's nothing serious! If you can, can you update the thread after you know? You'll be in my thoughts today.