Damn Dining Hall! (warning: rant)

Options
I am a college student stuck on a fricking meal plan because I pay $800/month to NOT have anywhere to cook my own food. And the worst part is, they aren't even consistent with any choices!
They are always supposed to have sandwiches and salads, but apparently on random nights all they decide to have are super fatty disgusting foods that appear healthy but really aren't. So tonight I got the wonderful pleasure of eating 1/2 slice of nasty veggie lasagna that tasted like water, a super greasy piece of garlic toast and a handful of grapes. Thoroughly unimpressed. Can't wait to get out and cook my own dang food!!!
Thanks for bearing with my rant...

1705046.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    If you want it to be better, you will have to demand that it be better - especially if you are paying for it. I would not accept their excuse for food when it is your dime. Be the squeaky wheel or enlist others to make some noise with you.
  • douglw
    douglw Posts: 25
    Options
    eating healthy in a cafeteria is tough. Good luck.
  • stellajune
    Options
    Dude i feel your pain. Dorm food is awful and unhealthy :(
    luckily I graduate after this semester so I'm almost done! still, I feel gross and sluggish thanks to my limited options.
  • courtneyholt
    Options
    I hear yeah, I work up in northern alberta in oil camps and the food there is great! If you are burning 4000 calories a day, all you can eat ice cream, chips, chocolate bars and greasy food everywhere. at least they have to put on a salad bar, but salad sure does get boring after 4 months
  • get_it_gone2012
    Options
    If you want it to be better, you will have to demand that it be better - especially if you are paying for it. I would not accept their excuse for food when it is your dime. Be the squeaky wheel or enlist others to make some noise with you.

We try. It's just that most days it's decent enough that we don't want to complain, we can live off of sandwiches and salads. But then they get rid of those options and it's like WTF?!?!
  • helenbeee
    helenbeee Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    write a letter of complaint to whoever is in charge. Make as big a noise as you possibly can and be consistent about complaining. Insist that they show the nutrition levels in each meal. How much fat, carbs, protein etc. Keep a diary of all the junkie meals they serve to prove that they are not feeding you a balanced diet. ask to see where your 800 dollars is being spent there has to be some accountability here. They cannot take that money from you and feeds you cheap crap in return. the whole point of this exercise is that you may be able to get out of the deal you signed up for. Thats what I would be aiming for it appears that your money would be better spent and better prepared and balanced if you ate off campus.
  • datagram40
    datagram40 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Let me guess...is this by chance, Sodexo?

If so....:

http://yourhealthyourwayonline.com/ <----Click "just the facts" at the bottom right

you can look up all of their recipes.
  • get_it_gone2012
    Options
    Unfortunately no, not Sodexo. But they do have nutritional values online. However, these values are for normal serving sizes as opposed to the ginormous ones they serve you during your meal, and I hate eye - balling.
    Anyway, just got their semester survey in my email. You can bet I will be complaining!
  • get_it_gone2012
    Options
    Unfortunately no, not Sodexo. But they do have nutritional values online. However, these values are for normal serving sizes as opposed to the ginormous ones they serve you during your meal, and I hate eye - balling.
    Anyway, just got their semester survey in my email. You can bet I will be complaining!