The plank

Options
what areas exactly does this work? I did it 2x today. someone told me it helps with the post pregnancy pooch. but i felt it more on my sides, not lower ab. and it hurt my back. am i doing it wrong?

Replies

• javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Options
    It works your ENTIRE core! Great job!
  • leastwood
    Options
    If it is hurting your back, then yes, you did it wrong.
    You must curve your back outward, pushing your lower back towards the ceiling.
    It will work on your pregnancy pooch! first time I did it, my lower abdomen was sore the next day!
    First exercise that I ever did that did that! Suck your stomach in real tight, and then hold this position for one full minute.
    Then continue to build on holding it longer and longer.
  • Liatush
    Liatush Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    It used to hurt my back too when I would do it... would love to know more..
  • NOLAdy
    NOLAdy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Your whole core. It's not supposed to hurt your back. Are you doing it stiff enough? A stright, flat, back?

I like the plank a lot. I hope you can get it worked out. Once you do you can find a couple of exercises that have the plank as it's "base".
  • digit78
    digit78 Posts: 177
    Options
    The Plank is brutal!

Ive done an injury to my elbow/arm so my trainer tried something different................ The Superman.

Lie on your stomach and lift your legs and arms/heads out like superman. Wasnt as tough as the Plank but a decent alternative.
  • NOLAdy
    NOLAdy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    The Superman is good too.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    is this a video or just the plank exercise? try a yoga video. it will show you how to hold the position properly. Or look it up on yoga journal.com. your back should be as straight as possible with out your butt way in the air but also w/o letting you back cave in. suck in your stomach. it will work you whole core. As for other stomach moves try the boat pose and bridge pose in yoga.
  • ColeyCannoli
    Options
    If you all wanna kick it up a bit you should try "plank pushups." They are brutal! Basically it is moving from plank on your hands to your forearms and back again.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    If it hurts your back, yes either your doing it wrong, or you have back problems. Its supposed to work your whole core, so if you felt it in your sides only, it could be a few things: either your sides are the weakest and having to work the hardest to keep up, or if you had a c-section, its very likely you may never feel your lower abs again! I'm sure mine still work, but I haven't felt them in just under 4 years....
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
  • Meggie_pooh
    Meggie_pooh Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I do 300 ab crunches a day 5x a week....slowly working myself up to 500 a day. I didn't now about the plank. I'm gonna try that one tomorrow as well as my crunches! But with doing just the crunches for the past 2 weeks, i have noticed my pooch going down. I've already dropped one dress size!
  • derynb
    derynb Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi there
    Make sure you do the plank with your knees on the ground until you can do it for a minute then try it on your toes and build up to a minute over a period of time. Pull tummy in tight and keep back dead flat........good luck
  • doutri2
    doutri2 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I love the plank exercises. From what I was told by a PE teacher, it works your abdominals (not sure how accurate the info is).

For those of you already doing The Plank, try these:

Here is the challenge that my kyuki do instructor has us do:
    15 sec, rest, 30 sec, rest, 45 sec, rest, 60 sec= done

The other one I did today with my 5 yr old was to get in plank position and then 'plank' crawl to the other side of the room and back.

If your lower back hurts, check your form. Also, there is a strong connection between the strength of your lower back and the strength of your abs. You may need to do more all over ab/ core work too.

Lastly, a good stretch is to lie down on your stomach and then raise the upper part of your body using your arms/ hands on the ground for support (like cobra position in yoga).
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I do 300 ab crunches a day 5x a week....slowly working myself up to 500 a day. I didn't now about the plank. I'm gonna try that one tomorrow as well as my crunches! But with doing just the crunches for the past 2 weeks, i have noticed my pooch going down. I've already dropped one dress size!

That is a lot of crunches so you must have some good core strength. Just a note though that there has been a fair amount of research done into crunches and lower back health. If you are trying to build a solid core, I would be decreasing the reps and no. of times per week and do weight situps. Alternatively, look into dragon flags or using an ab wheel. These are both awesome for the whole core not just abs. Actually, if you have only done crunches then you will probably find the above 2 exercises very difficult as it's possible that you have a weak lower back in comparison to your abs so take it easy.

Planks are good. I do them as well as side planks and T-pushups with a rotation. Google the T-pushup. They are great :)