Oatmeal for breakfast

Options
I absolutely love having oatmeal for breakfast.... But the only method I've ever enjoyed is with steel cut oats overnight in a crock pot. As tasty as it is, it's extremely difficult to clean and takes up a lot of counter space.

Has anyone found another method that produces similar results?

Right now I'm looking for a mini crockpot that would be easier to clean and would take up less space.

Replies

• ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Use crock pot liners. They're like the big plastic bags for roasting turkeys in, just smaller. Should be in the same aisle at the grocery store as foil and zip lock baggies/
  • TeeTee11
    Options
    Do you like the quaker oatmeal? At first it was hard to get use to, cuz it does taste like paper..but i eventually adjusted. It's actually really good with frozen strawberries/walnuts or bananas/walnuts. no sugar needed
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I make homemade muesli for breakfast.

1/2 c. old fashioned oatmeal
    1 tsp. each sunflower seeds, sliced almonds
    1 tbls. unsweetened dried cranberries and/or raisins
    1/4 tsp. cinnamon
    1/8 c. non fat milk
    splenda

I start by cooking oatmeal according to package directions. I add the seeds and dried fruit halfway through. Then add cinnamon and milk and sweeten to taste with splenda.

It's so much better than regular oatmeal cause it has the crunch and great texture
  • Jodie_Wilson9
    Options
    I really like McCann's Irish Steel-cut Oats. I'd never had them before about two months ago. If you prepare them the same day to eat, it takes about half an hour to cook them. There was also an option of soaking them the night before, bringing them to a boil, storing them in the fridge overnight, and then cooking them for 9-12 minutes the next day. I'm green to the steel-cut oats world, but I really, really loved them. I like them a lot better than rolled oats. I don't know if this was helpful at all, but I thought I'd share my experience. Good luck!
  • shoevg
    Options
    What about an instant Oatmeal? I have some that I keep in my desk drawer. It's great because you just add some hot water and mix. Obviously not the same as the regular good ol home cooked, but works just the same. Sometimes you just don't have time to cook, or deal with the mess.
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    What about using a pressure cooker? It'd be ready in 5 min and I imagine it might be easier to clean up.
  • Val_from_OH
    Val_from_OH Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Use crock pot liners. They're like the big plastic bags for roasting turkeys in, just smaller. Should be in the same aisle at the grocery store as foil and zip lock baggies/

This is the way to go! You can get 4 crockpot liners for under $2, and the amount of clean up time that it saves is more than worth it!

Do you have a crockpot oatmeal recipe that you'd be willing to share? I tried one over the weekend and it was not good! The texture was soupy, and it was too sweet.
  • LivingFree
    Options
    What I do is put 1/2 cup oats in a good sized glass cereal bowl. Pour boiling in until the bowl is about 3/4 full. Put a plate over the top. I leave to sit while I get in the shower. When I'm ready, I put the plate under the bowl (in case of over flow) and pop in the microwave for 1 minute. Stir and micro again another minute. Stir and let sit a minute. Done! Quick and easy.
  • terim3006
    terim3006 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Cook them part way the night before in a regular pan then finish them up the next am again in a regular pan. I am actually going to try just soaking them like you would beans overnight. Haven't gotten that far yet.
  • GiGGiTy3434
    GiGGiTy3434 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I use 1/2 cup 100% whole grain steel cut oats with 1 cup of skim milk. Put in larger bowl than needed and put in microwave for 2 mins 45 seconds. I had 4 packets of splenda and love it. It has 259 calories like that but I like to add some sugar free yogurt or some fruit into it. Very filling breakfast and tastes great.
    I like the sugar free yoplait fiber one yogures in either strawberry or peach. YUM YUM.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    I just cook a big batch once a week and put it in a glass bowl in the fridge for the entire week. A quick warm up in the microwave and I'm off! Just one pan to wash after one 45 minute cooking session -- that's pretty easy for me. :)
  • ChristineM1953
    ChristineM1953 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I use an organic oatmeal that is quick cook. I put in a tablespoon of peanut butter and a little dark chocolate. Lots of MUFAs and it tastes like no bake cookies, but not nearly as sweet.
  • NOLAdy
    NOLAdy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    My crock pot is huge so I put the oats in a small metal mixing bowl. Put the bowl into the crock pot, and fill the crock pot with water.