P90X

Options
Hey guys! I have some questions, that I hope fellow ppl working out to P90X can answer! Earlier tonight was my first time working out to it..so I have a long road ahead of me ( which is fine ), but I don't know which "path" to choose? Lean schedule OR Classic Schedule?!

I want to lose 80ish lbs..

For those of you who have seen results or just know A LOT about this workout dvd, please fill me in!

Greatly appreciated!

Replies

• stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I suggest to everyone do classic! Get off your knees for push-ups even if you only do 1 from your toes, then drop to your knees! Go as hard as you can and the weight comes off - but really, it's about the nutrition! No cheats - No under-eating - No over-eating!

If you do that, your results will be in the next informercial! The program is amazing, most people fall short on the nutrition!

Steve
    KnightFit.com
  • crottman
    Options
    I would start with the Classic schedule so that you can get use to the exercises and the routine on each disk. Then your second time around start with the Lean. Either schedule is going to kick your butt and show you great results.
  • tritta01
    tritta01 Posts: 311
    Options
    I am also doing P90X today was day two for me I have heard the best one to start with for women in the lean, and after that you can always do the classic.
  • alliebob27
    Options
    Thanks, my main thing is portion..I never know how much is tooo much? I am good at eating healthy, but sometimes I feel like I over eat..even with healthy food!

Will P90X get me all buff? lol..b/c I am trying to avoid that :). Just wondering.
  • alliebob27
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys :)
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Also, if you're motivated, don't be afraid of doubles! I did doubles most of my first round and got great results. Only do them if you're feeling crazy motivated though - you don't want to burn out early!

As a pre-warning - many many many people get a little burned out around day 45-55. Power through it and keep your eye on the goal. Make a big calendar and keep checking off the days. Seeing something on your bedroom/kitchen/living room wall that you stare at all the time will help push you to press play when you don't really feel like it.

One last tip - do Ab Ripper X first before your main workout - it helps to knock it out, then you know you can give the main workout your everything!

Steve
  • crottman
    Options
    It wont get you buff as you are not really using weight. In order to gain muscle you have to stess your muscles so that they grow. Now you will become lean and toned. this will acsentuate (sp) your muscles.
  • alliebob27
    Options
    Sweet thanks for all the info. And yeah I'm DEF going to have a calender & mark off days! Another motivator for me is that I want to schedule a beach trip for late May..so that means I have literally just enough time to get in shape..or in better shape shall I say!
  • alliebob27
    Options
    Crottman: My fear was that I would get buff or w/e lol. Toned is all good by me! When I was fit, I was in Power Lifting..but looked GREAT! My goal now is to just get in shape & look great! Be healthy!
  • crottman
    Options
    my question is how do y0u add P90X or Insanity workout to your exercise list with out having to list each exercise.
  • angeliq00
    Options
    You wont get 'bulky' unless you really try (with some serious supplements and heavy weights). You will get lean on the program though.

Keep your nutrition basic to start. Use the healthy plate theory - 1/2 salad or veg, 1/4 carbs, 1/4 protein. Aim to feel satisfied - not full. And eat every 2-3 hours throughout the day.

I follow a plan of:

Breakfast 200 cal
    Snack 150 cal
    Lunch 300 cal
    Snack 100-150cal
    Dinner 350 cal
    Snack 100-150cal

Truly though, the key is water! Drink continuously throughout the day - have a glass before eating to make you more satisfied. Your body will transform if you keep this up for a few weeks.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I haven't started P90X yet. I plan to finish the advanced elliptical program I am on and then tackle P90X around April. I can, however, give you my two cents on portions:

I plataued in early January and was getting frustrated. I started reading some articles online and one of the recurring themes revolving around weight loss plateaus was "portion creep". You start off OK on portions but slowly add a little more than is necessary and fool yourself into thinking that it is a proper portion. The best $28 bucks I have spent this year was on a household food scale. I bought a middle of the road Taylor scale with a glass top and it measures your food in oz. or grams (grams is the most accurate). I have been on a steady weight loss pace of around 2 pounds a week since then (couples with MFP and my elliptical).

Good luck to you!
  • alliebob27
    Options
    Crottman: I'm trying to figure out the SAME thing! I have to enter them in one by one..argh!

Angeliq00 - Thanks girl! I've been doing good w/ snacking throughout the day & I drink A LOT of water daily..I love water :). I am going to stick w/ this program & wish it gives me great results :).

Reepobob - I need to invest in a scale! I keep telling myself that I need to get one..not like they are pricy or anything haha. My question is though, what exactly is a good / normal portion?
  • poyetsuperstar
    Options
    If you are extremely out of shape, you shouldn't start out with P90X.. just start out with P90. P90X is for people who just completed P90, or are already in great shape. I know a lot of people who used P90X and end up quitting because they got too sore after the first week and were too discouraged to continue. Just a thought.
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I just started on Lean two days ago.

I'm ashamed to say that I did knee push ups. But after a few of those, I think I can start doing one or two plank style push-ups. I do need to get some push up bars, though, because the stress on my wrists causes pain that will keep me from doing it.

I am soooo out of shape. I just bought a HRM to try an gage what my calorie burn is so I can record it as accurately as possible.

Since I'm not working as hard as the other guys, I don't think I burn but 300 calories, maybe. But I put it in under moderate circuit training, and it was saying 500+ calories.

I haven't eaten those back (I'm set at 1.5lbs a week, so I'm hoping that if I undereat, it will still keep me above BMR). Hopefully I don't over eat.

Is the recovery drink worth getting. I really don't want to spend extra money, but if people think it helps, I think I might.

Anyway, as out of shape as I am, I found it tough. The Dreya Rolls are almost impossible for me at this point. I had to push myself up with my hands, and not as graceful as they are, the first time. And I had to do it for Cardio X, and just couldn't by the time we got to it in the DVD. I ended up doing them on the couch. Not quite the same, I know, but it was still work, and it allowed me to stand up better.

I would stand, 'fall' onto the edge of the couch, roll back and stick my feet in the air, roll back forward and jump up. It's what worked for me currently. Hoping to see improvement over time to where I can do it like them.

I instantly felt the wacky jacks in my sides today.

It really is tiring, but aside from the soreness, I LOVE the feeling after you are done with it.
  • ESorokes015
    ESorokes015 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I did the classic P90X but honestly, I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. I did get stronger, but I didn't lose as much weight as I wanted to. Personally I feel that if you need to lose a lot of weight, you should do pilates or a different cardio workout. P90X is great for getting ripped but not necessarily a great cardio workout every day.
  • Crowhorse
    Options
    If you are extremely out of shape, you shouldn't start out with P90X.. just start out with P90. P90X is for people who just completed P90, or are already in great shape. I know a lot of people who used P90X and end up quitting because they got too sore after the first week and were too discouraged to continue. Just a thought.

I've thought about doing P90, but P90x seemed a little more varied, which attracted me to it. I think the worst thing about P90x is that you only have one recovery day a week, rather than a workout, recovery, workout, recovery.

I'm trying to make it to first recovery, but tomorrow is Shoulder/etc. It will give my lower half (the sorest parts, currently) a little break.

I'm glad someone told us to do the abs first. I doubt I can do as many as I saw on the video (I watched it ahead of time) but I will work myself til I need a break, rest, then try for some more. That's how you get better.
  • Crowhorse
    Options
    I did the classic P90X but honestly, I wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. I did get stronger, but I didn't lose as much weight as I wanted to. Personally I feel that if you need to lose a lot of weight, you should do pilates or a different cardio workout. P90X is great for getting ripped but not necessarily a great cardio workout every day.

What would you recommend?

I was thinking of maybe mixing P90x up with some Zumba or something else. I would just have to figure out what workouts might best suits me to mix it up with.
  • alliebob27
    Options
    Crowhorse: I also have Zumba..I LOVE that as well!! It's so much fun too :D. And I have the 30 Day Shred!

ESorokes015: Thanks..what did you use / do that you saw good results on?

poyetsuperstar: As crazy as this sounds..I don't think I've ever heard of P90! I've only heard of P90X!
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    My workout daily calorie allotment is around 2100-2200 calories and my rest day calorie allotment is 1430. I plan my meals by which day I am on (work out or non-workout) and "budget" calories for each meal. When I am checking the box/label for whatever I am eating, I look at the gram portion (usually in parenthesis) and base my portion size strictly on when the scale hits that magical weight on the scale, no more no less and of course, log it into MyFitnessPal. Focusing on the weight of the portion instead of the "eyeball test" will result in more accurate amounts of food ingested and will result in better weight loss results. If I need to shave a portion a wee bit to fit into my budgeted calorie allotment, I will break out the calculator and figure what a fraction of that portion is in terms of grams and measure that portion instead.

Did I answer your question or am I totally off base with what you were asking?