Shin Splints?

Options
I have been getting horrible shin splits this past week while jogging. I have been doing 20-30 min depending on how well my shins are doing. I have been making sure to drink lots of water, taking ibuprofen for the pain and I make sure to do a warm up and cool down walk (5 min. each). I plan on getting new running shoes this week (right now I have some adidas running shoes). Any other suggestions?

Replies

• Salpica
    Salpica Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Honestly the best thing to do before you get new shoes is to just stop jogging in general. If shin splints get bad enough you can cause stress fractures on your leg and end up in a boot. (Happened to a guy in academy)

Make sure you stretch properly to help work those muscles. http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/lowerleg/shinsplints/stretching.php

Once you get the new shoes start jogging again, but don't go to overboard until you feel back at 100%. Those new shoes will help a TON though.

Until them keep up with the water and ibuprofen. Also, put ice on your shins if you have time to sit down while the young ones sleep. Just be careful though and lay off until the shoes.
  • armywifeliz
    Options
    A lot of the Army guys in my husband's unit gets those, too. You should rest your legs for a few days. He says to continue to stretch your calf muscles. Might try some of that Tylenol Precise.
  • darkrider42
    darkrider42 Posts: 5,342 Member
    Options
    YES!!! Here's one I can help you with!! I have had them many times in the past. As part of your pre-run warm-up and stretching, sit on the floor and with your knees bent, place your right foot on top of your left foot and do toe raises, using just the weight of your leg to provide the resistance. Do 15 or so repetitions, then switch feet.

This does two things: Stretches and strengthens your shin muscles and warms them up. In the past, I've found it only takes a couple days of doing these and the shin splints disappears altogether. But keep doing them for a few days after that. If you continue to have severe shin splints, back off the run and walk briskly for a few days instead.

Any questions, let me know! Good luck!
  • Maggiethu
    Maggiethu Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Try running on softer surfaces (ie. grass, trails). Even the asphalt is a better option than concrete.
  • leelee03
    leelee03 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've had these also. Rest them for a while, stretch...and...work the opposite muscles. The reason it is painful is because you are working your calf muscle more than the muscles that would pull against it...one friend of mine takes paint cans, puts the handle over her toe and then lifts them with just her toes.
  • CalorieNinja
    CalorieNinja Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Try running on softer surfaces (ie. grass, trails). Even the asphalt is a better option than concrete.

I currently run on a treadmill
  • CalorieNinja
    Options
    Thank you for all the great advice! I think I will just wait til I get my new running shoes and go from there. I don't need to hurt myself more and not be able to work out at all. I will definitely try working the opposite muscle as well and doing the toeup workouts (probably should be doing them shin splints or not lol)
  • helenbeee
    helenbeee Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Give yourself longer to warm up. I have to warm up for 15 minutes before I can commence jogging. The warm up walking is brisk but not too fast where I feel it in my shins. It seems to work I can run comfortably and continuously for 20 minutes with no discomfit at all. Before I would be crippled just by walking fast let alone jog. Its all in the warm up. Good Luck.
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I've also found that when I began jogging, I was trying to run at a faster pace than I should have started with. They went away once I took the speed down for awhile. Maybe that's something to try as well!
  • ayzaguirre
    Options
    Depending on what area you live in, there are specialty stores that help you choosing the right type of shoes (ex. Roadrunner). I recommend "Saucony" shoes. Very comfortable. If your pains hit the best advise is to ice the problem areas. Good luck
  • CalorieNinja
    Options
    Depending on what area you live in, there are specialty stores that help you choosing the right type of shoes (ex. Roadrunner). I recommend "Saucony" shoes. Very comfortable. If your pains hit the best advise is to ice the problem areas. Good luck

I do plan on going to a specialty store this time around for running shoes, thanks :)
  • glfprncs2
    glfprncs2 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Rest, rest, rest...took mine 2 weeks to stop being ridiculously painful. During that time, I iced, took anti-inflammatories (advil) and stretched, stretched, stretched. Lots of calf stretches as that, from what I understand, is what contributes to the flare up in the first place. Best stretch I found was once the lower legs are warm (i.e. after a bath), spell the entire alphabet with each individual foot. Do it uppercase, lowercase or cursive, your choice. It really stretches out the tendons and ligaments.
  • STARG1RL
    STARG1RL Posts: 44 Member
    Options

Are you running on an incline? If not, you should be at least at a 1%... Just saying :wink: My treadmill, is where I do the majority of my runs & a tiny bit of incline helps, BIG TIME!
  • CalorieNinja
    Options

Are you running on an incline? If not, you should be at least at a 1%... Just saying :wink: My treadmill, is where I do the majority of my runs & a tiny bit of incline helps, BIG TIME!

No, I am not running on an incline, I will try this once I get new shoes lol
  • bhb301
    bhb301 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I always got them. I had them when I played soccer in high school. I recently went to a running store and got fitted for shoes, and its a whole world of difference. I would highly recommend going somewhere like that.