South Beach- Any body sucess?

Options
Starting south beach/atkins tomorrow---- I REALLY REALLY want to see results quicker than 1 lb in a month!

Replies

• inpaperclouds
    Options
    I did atkins, but I did it my own way. I cut out ALL carbs. They let you eat a lot of it in my opinion, so I went my own way and lost 9 lbs in one week. I gained half of it back within a month though, after I started eating carbs again.
  • seabuckaroo
    Options
    I haven't personally done this diet but I had a co-worker who did it and had amazing results. She also worked out alot too, so it was probably both. I think it sounds like a healthy way to eat.
  • Jenn97355
    Jenn97355 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    A South Beach/Atkins (heavier on the S.B. part) is an amazing way to live! :bigsmile: About 5years ago I lost 60lbs in 15mos following that--then a lot of bad stuff happened and I let myself slip up, Now, my house pretty much eats that way, except with a day for liquids(juicing) and nothing but raw milk/organic food in the house AS MUCH as possible.And we try not to eat anything with High fructose corn junk in it! II have had great success and try to eat this way @ least 75% of the time~(and so have many of my friends--one has lost 78lbs and has kept it off by doing Stage 3 of S.B) Hope this helps~Good luck, and congratulations on taking the first step! :flowerforyou:
  • jacque1109
    Options
    A South Beach/Atkins (heavier on the S.B. part) is an amazing way to live! :bigsmile: About 5years ago I lost 60lbs in 15mos following that--then a lot of bad stuff happened and I let myself slip up, Now, my house pretty much eats that way, except with a day for liquids(juicing) and nothing but raw milk/organic food in the house AS MUCH as possible.And we try not to eat anything with High fructose corn junk in it! II have had great success and try to eat this way @ least 75% of the time~(and so have many of my friends--one has lost 78lbs and has kept it off by doing Stage 3 of S.B) Hope this helps~Good luck, and congratulations on taking the first step! :flowerforyou:

Amazing, thanks for sharing!
  • jacque1109
    Options
    I did atkins, but I did it my own way. I cut out ALL carbs. They let you eat a lot of it in my opinion, so I went my own way and lost 9 lbs in one week. I gained half of it back within a month though, after I started eating carbs again.

Yeah, I have read you kinda gain it back--- but STILL, it would be great to lost 9LBS in a month!
  • egam
    egam Posts: 127
    Options
    yeah, I did it for quite a while with my family. I lost about 12 lbs in a month. I found it just required being smart about what you are eating and when. Also realize that it's hard on your body, it has to work alot harder to get a little it of energy, so if you do slip up and eat simple sugar carbs, you will gain weight back FAST! I recommend the cook books too, I'm not doing south beach but I still make lots of the recipes, it also helps keep you away from processed foods and packaged low carb food, which isn't that good for you and super expensive.

Good Luck on your regime!!!
  • yyzdnl
    yyzdnl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I went low carb the last time I wanted to lose weight. It worked but I wasn't able to maintain it. That’s why I am here trying to lose again. I found the diet un-sustainable over the long run. Even though I have been eating a somewhat higher protein diet ever since, when I brought back the the carbs I gained all my weight back and more.
    This time I plan to learn to eat what I like in moderation.
    No carbs = No liquor
    No carbs = No potato
    No carbs = Little Vegetable
    No carbs = Not sustainable
    Not sustainable = waste of time
  • LindieAndie
    Options
    I did the South Beach Diet, from Phase 1 through to 3. I have the book on my shelf. Can't recommend it enough, but it's damn hard. I lost 20kg doing it in a few months (can't remember how many, it was in 2005). Phase 3 is the sustainable maintenance phase and very doable. It taught me to eat well and I still do.
  • LindieAndie
    Options
    I went low carb the last time I wanted to lose weight. It worked but I wasn't able to maintain it. That’s why I am here trying to lose again. I found the diet un-sustainable over the long run. Even though I have been eating a somewhat higher protein diet ever since, when I brought back the the carbs I gained all my weight back and more.
    This time I plan to learn to eat what I like in moderation.
    No carbs = No liquor
    No carbs = No potato
    No carbs = Little Vegetable
    No carbs = Not sustainable
    Not sustainable = waste of time

South Beach Diet is low carb but only in the beginning. You cut out all carbs and then slowly reintroduce healthy, low GI carbs. There are 3 phases to the diet and it's very lifestyle oriented.

The good thing with SBD is if you're on the maintenance phase and you gain a few pounds you just drop back one or two phases until you lose the pounds and then go back to maintenance.
  • LindieAndie
    Options
    OP, I would be doing SBD if I could, but I'm breastfeeding so carbs are crucial in my diet at the moment.
  • vzepol
    vzepol Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have been on sb for a couple of months. It was easier than I thought it would be. I found mfp at the same time. Mfp helped keep me honest calorie wise. The sb method is not so hard once you understand how much harm the foods in the past were causing.