not eating enough? confused....

Options
2»

Replies

• hotmooglelove
    Options
    sharesb, please keep in mind your BMR, or Basic Metabolic Rate. This rate measures how many calories your body needs just to keep itself alive (calories burned breathing, pumping blood etc.)

To eat less per day than this number is NOT healthy (think massive heart failure). As dieters we need to figure out our BMR, then figure out how much we typically need every day in order to maintain our weight, then finally find a nice number in between the two.

A woman of your age would have to be 4'5" and weigh 40 lbs in order to have a BMR of 900 calories. I highly recommend setting up a safe weight-loss goal (half lb a week) and try to stick to the myfitnesspal recommended calories as closely as possible
  • hotmooglelove
    Options
    Biggerpix, your extra weight can be any number of things, food still in the digestive system, water gain, etc.

As a taller male, my weight has varied by up to 5 lbs a day.

To actually gain 1 lb in fat a day would require you to eat an additional 3000kcal on top of your daily "maintain" cals + the cals burned exercising. That would be like 5000kcals or something of that nature!

So don't worry about it =)
  • biggerpix
    Options
    Biggerpix, your extra weight can be any number of things, food still in the digestive system, water gain, etc.

As a taller male, my weight has varied by up to 5 lbs a day.

To actually gain 1 lb in fat a day would require you to eat an additional 3000kcal on top of your daily "maintain" cals + the cals burned exercising. That would be like 5000kcals or something of that nature!

So don't worry about it =)

I worry about everything. One little varience outside the norm and I tend to freek. I know that sounds bad, but I don't like change. I am trying to get up to 1200 calories excluding calories and will do that today after I make something for dinner...but I went to the gym and burned off 700 of that tonight. there is no way I can eat 1100 more calories tonight still.
    I found some protien bars at the store tonight that have over 300 calories each. I'll have one of those for a "snack" during the day when I need to build up my calories. I am just NOT HUNGRY anymore. I'm about 5'2" and have 15 more pounds to go. I was so close till this episode and i was so disappointed that I spazed wondering why I kept going to wrong direction on the scale.
    Thanks....I'll try to relax and just keep plugging along.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I know what you mean! I've never been an overly big eater myself and I really genuinely just don't think to eat between meals. Snacking is something I've not been able to get my head around, even though I know it's good for your metabolism etc etc. Ever since being a kid I've just had my meals and never consciously thought about it. Example: I'd never randomly go and get a chocolate bar... not because I don't like or want one or wouldn't eat one, it just never occurs to me!
    At the moment I'm staying in New Zealand with family and today my cousin commented on how little she thinks I eat. I think I eat fine for me - I'm not underweight by a long shot! I'm currently trying to educate myself to stick to eating smaller meals throughout the day, although having stomach problems makes this difficult - maybe subconsciously this is the reason why?!
    Anyway, don't stress too much about calories etc you sound like you exercise loads, so just chill a bit! Add a splash of cream to what you're cooking or a sprinkle of cheese here and there - or grab a banana before you go exercising! :)
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    I know this is hard to conceive for new people but these posts will clear it up for you. I run every AM and do ISO 3 times a week. Total cals burned every week: 11,000. I eat all or most of my exer cals and drop 2 pounds per week like clockwork. The 700 cals a day post will explain why you put on a pound or two when you jumped your cals up. The strategy of eating what you burn works for nearly everybody..... just don't expect to see results in a couple days. READ these posts, you won't regret it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/777-why-is-starvation-mode-so-bad
  • goldenbutterfly
    Options
    Try adding in some healthy fats like nut,flax and avocado to your meals you don't need a lot to get the calores you need but not feel to full.
    I love nuts. They do add the pounds to me though. Flax???? I've seen that in pill form. I may pick up some avacdos and learn to cook those. Almods are awesome. I am just so scared to add calories since I've tried taking in all the calories and those I've earned. With the amount of calories I burn at the gym, I'd have to eat all day to add what it sounds like i need. I eat those grain and wheat snacks like Special K bars and Quaker Oats bars, which is a nice, non filling treat. Thanks, I'll check into the "healthy fats".

ive never heard of cooking avacardoes before, im not sure you can ... but i know you can get avacardo oil
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Read the links in my signature. They're very informative and helpful!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/777-why-is-starvation-mode-so-bad

i agree , please read them it may well help you understand a little better and not get stressed

Good luck on your journey :smile:
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    You need to eat at least 1200 calories a day. Your metabolism will slow down if you don't.