Eating tons of fiber & still not regular

Options
This isn't a pleasant topic. I often have bouts of constipation and I thought I'd gotten over that in the last few weeks. I'm not exactly constipated, I do "go" most days but considering the amount of fiber I eat (around 35 g a day) plus all the water, I'd expect better results. For instance, I ate about 35 g of fiber yesterday including flax seed with breakfast, prunes in the evening, beans, veggies, fruit and even a fiber supplement and no results this morning. I've been eating like that every day so it's not something new. I don't have a stomach ache but I do feel more bloated today then I did yesterday. No wonder with all that fiber sitting in me and not going anywhere.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Mely
    Mely Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    This isn't a pleasant topic. I often have bouts of constipation and I thought I'd gotten over that in the last few weeks. I'm not exactly constipated, I do "go" most days but considering the amount of fiber I eat (around 35 g a day) plus all the water, I'd expect better results. For instance, I ate about 35 g of fiber yesterday including flax seed with breakfast, prunes in the evening, beans, veggies, fruit and even a fiber supplement and no results this morning. I've been eating like that every day so it's not something new. I don't have a stomach ache but I do feel more bloated today then I did yesterday. No wonder with all that fiber sitting in me and not going anywhere.

Any suggestions?
  • prairiemom
    prairiemom Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Try taking probiotics. I have the opposite problem but it is supposed to even your system out. I have had less occurances since I've been on them. It will take a few days to a week to start seeing the changes.

Good luck.
  • Mely
    Options
    tried the pro-biotics.
  • keepnfaith
    keepnfaith Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Stool stoftners are safe to use regularly and do work.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options

Any suggestions?

I can completely sympathize with you!!

The only thing I can think of is that you need to give yourself TIME. That means you may have to park it with a magazine for several minutes, and do this on a daily basis.

My feeling is that I create my own problem because of IMPATIENCE. I hate taking the time required to 'do the job' so to speak. Developing the ability to stay regular and frequent is to retrain my body to do so, using TIME as the antedote. We live in a society where everything we do is supposed to be at SUPERSONIC speeds. Unfortunately, this particular subject refuses to be categorized that way, People get impatient, which compounds the problem, and soon, the result is, well, stubborn.

I don't like to use stool softeners because then my body may come to rely on it. I know how you feel, all I can say is have patience and TAKE YOUR TIME.....
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    I agree with Russia...TIME. I was having the same problem for quite some time and it finally got better. I enjoy some PlumSmart Lite juice in the morning and green tea in the afternoons which seemed to help...but it's just the body adjusting. And...too much fiber isn't good either...I posted an article here a while back when I was having these issues...if I can find it I will bump it up on the board.

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Okay...just bumped up a bunch for you. Hopefully this helps!
  • pinkpixies
    Options
    Colace and Miralax are both safe to take everyday and work great.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    The only thing that works for me is applejuice...lol Even when I was pregnant apple juice does the trick, for me anyways. One big glass a day...good luck, I know how uncomfortable that can be!
  • sapphyre0702
    Options
    TAKE MAGNESIUM VITAMINS!

I swear by them. I hate laxatives, they make me feel sick and I didn't want to take milk of magnesia every day.

So... each night I take 2 250mg magnisum vitamin tablets and voila! On those rough times when nothing is working I take 3 and by the next day regular as clockwork.

I don't feel queasy, sick or in dire need of a bathroom.

This is something that every Dr. should tell their patient, ONE nurse finally told me and it has been a godsend.

This is also completely natural, healthy and each bottle of pills is like $3.00 for 100-200 of them and they are available at your CVS, Walgreen's or even grocery stores.

I hope this helps, it has done wonders for me!
  • melissa73
    Options
    I agree with Sapphyre. My mom suffers from osteo. and she takes calcium and a lot of meds for her blood pressure. For years she suffered taking Metamucil and stuff. Then my brother brought his girlfriend over and she suggested magnesium and she has been regular ever scence...TMI I know...:laugh: Good luck.
    Melissa
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem. I attribute it to living 30 years on a high fat diet. I think my body got used to using fat for elimination. I find that it helps if I stay close to the recommended fat goal in MFP (when I started this program my fat consumption was really low). From time to time I have to use stool softeners (this was recommended by my Dr.). I'm hopeful that my body will eventually adjust to a lower fat diet.

You should consult your Dr. if this problem persists.
  • Mely
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. My issue is not exactly constipation which I think is defined by painful and infrequent movements. I've had that. I do go most days but it is sometimes a small amount compared to the fiber I eat and so days I don't go at all. That doesn't seem right after eating 40 g of fiber the day before and drinking a lot. I don't have a stomach ache or excessive gas. I just don't have the urge. It's like I have a sluggish bowel that isn't contracting. I do have a thyroid problem and am having some stool tests done (yuck). I think I'll try the magnesium. I've heard of that.
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    LOTS of water :drinker: , probiotic (a quality one - not the cheap stuff) and maybe flaxseed.
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • TheHottestMama
    Options
    herbal laxative called SWISS KRISS
    not the pills the actual like herbs
    and i know the box says to make tea or whatever
    but screw that
    my friend and i take 2tablespoons and chew and swollow it
    by the next morning you will be stuck to the toilet
    and usually lose about 5-8 pounds haha
  • Mely
    Options
    LOTS of water :drinker: , probiotic (a quality one - not the cheap stuff) and maybe flaxseed.
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

I do all these things already. I'm trying the magnesium suggestions and will report back.
  • Mely
    Options
    I'm reporting back already on the magnesium. Took 400 mg of Magnesium Citrate tablets and about 2 hours later I had success. No cramps or other undesirable effects of laxitives (I can't take those, they give me diarhea with bad cramps and then I can't go again for several days). I'm going to take another 400 mg tonight and see what happens. That is the amount I read would help but others recommend less.

BTW - I read that magnesium is also supposed to help muscle pains. I have chronic back pain so I hope it helps. Thanks for the magnesium suggestion!!!!!
  • Poison5119
    Options
    The other thought that I had about this subject is that it's a strong possibility that a cleaner diet will create LESS WASTE.

Think in terms of IAMS, the pet food. The label says that because of the nutrient rich food, your pet may produce fewer BMs. I'm tempted to think that the diet I eat is so 'bioavailable' that I may just not be generating as much waste.

....just a thought.

But the magnesium tabs? Thanks for THAT tip. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I will be getting some tonight!!
  • Mely
    Options
    I'm not an expert in this topic but I don't think your theory is correct. The healthy we eat, the more waste and toxins are eliminated from our bodies. We can't digest fiber and there for it is supposed to pass out of us and help keep us regular. It bothers me that I eat so much of it and then nothing much happens.
  • Poison5119
    Options
    Okay, I tried the magnesium tablets, and NOTHING.

Cod liver oil maybe? or should I take two magnesium tablets instead of one?