Couch 2 5K... necessary?

Options
I decided yesterday that I seriously want to train for a half marathon. I used to run track, and throughout college I was always running. Now, I am not nearly in the same shape I used to be in, but I want to get back into the swing of things. I'm signing up for a 5k in late March/early April, and I was wondering if the couch 2 5k program is worth it? Since I already work out 5-6 days a week, is this program still going to produce the same results? Is there another beginners program that you all might suggest?

My plan is to start with the 5k and then jump into a training program for the half. Most programs require that you be able to run 3 miles before starting, so I thought working up to the 5k would be a great starting point. Any thoughts, suggestions?

Replies

• LisaKC
    LisaKC Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I did C25K prior to signing up for a 10K training class, and think it's a great program. First of all, it starts you off slow enough and with short distances that will prevent you from injuring yourself. If you're a former runner, you're probably ready to just head out and run, but the other exercise you're doing now probably isn't the same as running. It doesn't take much time, and it's easy too get through. If I can do it, anyone can. For me, preventing injury was paramount. I'm still running injury free, and I credit that to C25K.
    Good luck!
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    I'm using C25k as the starting point to train for my half. Since, like you, I was already working out regularly, I started around week 4 rather than the very beginning. I'm almost through and so far it has been great.

Are you planning on doing a 10k training program after or going straight into a half training program?
  • sspayne35
    sspayne35 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with LisaKC. I've been doing it and LOVE it!. I THINK he may even have others like C210K but I'm not sure if it is ready yet. Being injury free is HUGE; you don't want to start off too fast and pull anything, even if you have been working out a lot. A friend of mine did that after working out for months (not traing for the race but other excercises), she signed up for a 5K and after the race her foot started bothering her. It began to hurt so bad she had to go see a doctor and months later is still is not healed up completely...she said it feels like little pins in her heels! UGH! Train...give yourself plenty of time to prepare. You can do it! Good luck!
  • nightbird1103
    nightbird1103 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi. It sounds like you're no stranger to running. I'd check out runnersworld.com. There are lots of articles and training programs there. When I trained for a 1/2 I used the program they had a reader follow- she blogged as she was training and it was free. I'm currently using a free novice marathon training program from Hal Higdon (halhigdon.com) and you can also check out Mcmillanrunning.com

I'm sure you'll find the perfect plan for you.

Best to you!
  • unckat09
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I was going to jump right into the half, but maybe I will train for the 10K, first. I appreciate the help:smile:
  • mvedas
    mvedas Posts: 69
    Options
    I'm starting this program this weekend, so I'll let you know how it goes.
  • s8523
    s8523 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    going to start today!!!! hope to be ready to run 5k in July and then do the Princess Marathon in Feb. 2012 at Disney!