Winter dry skin

Options
Ok friends, kind of embarrassing question here...this winter dryness is killing my scalp. Any ideas on what to use to help??? You know a fat girls best friend is black and it's hard to wear black with a dry scalp. I use head 'n shoulders on a regular basis, someone mentioned maybe I needed a break from it, so I just started using a regular shampoo and it's worse!! HELP!!!!!

Replies

• sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    try a moisturizing shampoo like rusk sensories calm shampoo and a hydrating conditioner. Also, you should get a cool mist humidifier to use at night when heat tends to be up higher. Without the humidifier, my skin would be flaking off!!!!
  • ellliemaeee
    ellliemaeee Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Use any of the Dove products, they're made to be nice to your skin :)
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    Fish oil supplements or Flax seed supplements. You have to treat from the inside out too! Also, grapeseed oil is great to put on dry spots at night.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    My best advice for any kind of dry skin issue is drink more water! Keeping your body hydrates from the inside will be exponentially more effective than any external product. Also maybe switch to a higher end shampoo, something natural like an Aveda product. A lot of the inexpensive shampoos are detergents.
  • punkrawkcutie
    punkrawkcutie Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    all of the above nd don't forget to drink LOTS of water.... (which I am sure you do anyways, but it's so important for skin!)
  • LBATL
    LBATL Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have had the best luck with organic products that don't contain sulfates that dry out the scalp. I LOVE John Masters Organics Zinc and Sage shampoo. It's for distrressed scalp plus it contains a conditioning agent to help add moisture back into the scalp - and it smells AMAZING. I follow with the moisturizing conditioning mask that contains great oils like those from avacados. I even rub this into my scalp for extra moisture and I love that it doesn't leave my scalp oily. I deal with this issue every winter and so far the JMO products are the best I have found. Plus they are also safe for color treated hair. It took about two weeks of use to get my scalp back to normal. It was worth the wait!

I second the humidifier suggestion - I need to get one myself! :smile:
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I actually just saw on tv to put green tea on your scalp. Get hot water, steep a couple green tea bags for 20 minutes, let the water cool enough, then poor it on your head and massage in.

Also, don't shower everyday if you can help it, or at least not wash your hair if you have to shower. That will help lessen the drying effect of the hot water and harsh shampoos.
  • Charrisse
    Options
    I heard coconut oil or olive oil is great for dry scalp. Massage in, let sit with a warm towel and wash out.

I use both cocont oil or olive oil on my skin 2X a day, morning and night. I slather it on then cover it it curel and it all soaks in and isnt oily or greasy.
  • jyotsana09
    Options
    Hi...my mom is a cosmetologist,so I consulted ur problem with her....and the answer was dat u shud try to massage ur hair with with almond oil for atleast 5-10minbefore washing them.....try shampoo which is rich in oils and protiens like lime and yoghurt shampoo...and u must use a conditioner after washing ur hair with shampoo....along with that u can also take one seven seas tablet (fish oil tabs) in a day...try following this im sure u'll see the difference soon....:smile:
  • capsaicyn
    capsaicyn Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I don't have specific issues with scalp dryness, but my skin can get so dry in the winter that it cracks and bleeds! This winter I've used a moisturizing body wash from Aveeno along with Aveeno lotion. I also take an oil supplement once a day and strive to drink at least 8 cups of clear fluids a day. It really has made a world of difference. Good luck!
  • SweetTeaBlossom
    Options
    Warm up some olive oil comb it through dry hair, wrap hair in plastic wrap (or bags) for about 20 minutes then wash out. Be sure to put cotton balls in your ears to catch any dripping. Your hair will come out extra shiny as well.

Vitamin E oil will work also. I get mine at Trader Joe's.

My local news was talking about this recently and they mentioned leave in conditioners.

For dry skin (usually from washing my hands too much) I add a few drops of Vitamin E oil to my body lotion. Leave me feeling creamy, but not greasy.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I recently switched to a 100% natural olive oil based body bar and shampoo. No detergents in either one. I feel clean but not dried out. I don't have that slickery or coated feeling like after a regular body wash or soap. My hair has more life and my scalp has stopped flaking. I am using a spray in detangler that is also olive oil based.