Yikes! What to eat?

Options
I am going to a mexican restaraunt today and it doesn't appear they have anything low fat. I also don't have a choice in the matter as to where we are going. :frown: Any ideas what to get? This is their menu.

http://www.loschiludos.com/html/menu_appetizers.html

Replies

• MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I always go for the fajitas since they come to you and your put them together. You can even skip the tortilla that way too and just eat the chicken and the veggies.

Or in the case of this resturant the fajita pita with out the pita.
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    You could maybe start with the chips and salsa, and get the wet burrito (chicken or veggie) hold the sour cream and cheese.
  • iheartmemories
    Options
    I would get the taco salad without the shell, cheese and sour cream.

Ask for a "bare" salad, which means without the shell.
  • amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Chips are actually really high cal without much return. Ask if they have fresh guacamole - avocado is a good fat and garlic and tomatoes are really good for you too!
  • BoxingChick
    BoxingChick Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    What about the taco salad with sour cream on the side, chicken or shrimp burrito with sour cream and cheese on the side or the shrimp dinner doesn't sound too bad...??? good luck!
  • smedlund
    smedlund Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I always go for the guac. It's a weakness and packed with nutrients. Or maybe the create your own burrito.
  • SarahBaylis
    Options
    Fajitas without the tortilla. Or tortilla soup - no chips - no cheese - add fresh avocado (if you like it). Or a fajita salad, no shell, no chz, no sour cream - dressing on the side... That's what I usually do and it will be a yummy meal!
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I suggested the chips and salsa to start because their menu looks really high cal.... at least with corn chips and salsa you know exactly what you're eating and you can easily share with others to control the portion. Plus, it will take the edge off if you're hungry and prevent you from eating something laden with cheese and sour cream! That's what I would do.

ETA: I don't even see fajitas on their menu...
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I agree with the fajitas, and ask fro them to bring them not-sizzling. A lot of time, they use add oil to any skillets to get them to sizzle (used to work at a Chilis... LOTS of fajitas lol). If you get chicken or shrimp fajitas and eat them without the tortillas/cheese/sour cream you can usually come in at about 350 cals. And beware the tortilla chips! If you're going to eat them, break the chips into a tiny pieces so you eat much slower!
  • 2bfitforever
    2bfitforever Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hard call. I would suggest either the tortilla soup and sald without shell and sour cream. You could ask for a side of guac instead if they don't use sour cream in the recipe -- which I never understood why people do that. The soup should be pretty low in calories and will fill you up. Tacos tend to be pretty low cal if you don't add all the extras. Good Luck!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I suggested the chips and salsa to start because their menu looks really high cal.... at least with corn chips and salsa you know exactly what you're eating and you can easily share with others to control the portion. Plus, it will take the edge off if you're hungry and prevent you from eating something laden with cheese and sour cream! That's what I would do.

ETA: I don't even see fajitas on their menu...

They have a fijita pita under specials.
  • bdavenport62
    Options
    I would get the taco salad without the shell, cheese and sour cream.

Ask for a "bare" salad, which means without the shell.
    This is what I would do. You can also use salsa as a "dressing"